Do you want to make Pinkbike and Trailforks better? Pinkbike is looking for full time Software Developers - Check Available Jobs

600 lb spring won’t fit on Fox DHX2 for V10?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
600 lb spring won’t fit on Fox DHX2 for V10?
| Next Page
Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 17:01 Quote
Erotomania wrote:
The service manager at fox told me if the spring doesn’t fit without compressing it, dont use it.

Fox is pretty serious about over preloading the spring. If the spring is compressed with the preload adjuster backed all the way off, there’s no telling what preload you have. I would assume this would damage the shock and definitely void your warranty.

Try finding a shorter free length 600lb spring.

I appreciate you taking the time to share this, I called Fox earlier today while at work based on your input and they confirmed what you were told. Glad it’s the offseason and I hadn’t thrown a leg over the new ride yet and either blown out the shock and gotten hurt and / or messed up my new ride. I was told that the 8ish inch eye-to-eye length shocks have some funky stuff going on when it comes to spring sizing for the various strokes. For anyone out there with a v10.6 with a dhx2 with code DDWR looking to use a 550# spring or greater, consult Fox regarding a part number for the appropriate spring. In my case, the only 600# option is an SLS spring (033-22-038 ) with specs that are certainly not intuitively matched to my shock at face value: 600lbs x 2.9"/74mm stroke, but will likely make sense once I get the actual spring take some additional measurements— coil angle, pitch, wire dia, active coils, free length, solid length—and do a few quick calcs to satisfy my own curiosity.

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 3:37 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
Erotomania wrote:
The service manager at fox told me if the spring doesn’t fit without compressing it, dont use it.

Fox is pretty serious about over preloading the spring. If the spring is compressed with the preload adjuster backed all the way off, there’s no telling what preload you have. I would assume this would damage the shock and definitely void your warranty.

I appreciate you taking the time to share this, I called Fox earlier today while at work based on your input and they confirmed what you were told. Glad it’s the offseason and I hadn’t thrown a leg over the new ride yet and either blown out the shock and gotten hurt and / or messed up my new ride. I was told that the 8ish inch eye-to-eye length shocks have some funky stuff going on when it comes to spring sizing for the various strokes. For anyone out there with a v10.6 with a dhx2 with code DDWR looking to use a 550# spring or greater, consult Fox regarding a part number for the appropriate spring. In my case, the only 600# option is an SLS spring (033-22-038 ) with specs that are certainly not intuitively matched to my shock at face value: 600lbs x 2.9"/74mm stroke, but will likely make sense once I get the actual spring take some additional measurements— coil angle, pitch, wire dia, active coils, free length, solid length—and do a few quick calcs to satisfy my own curiosity.

Glad they had a solution for you. I like the SLS springs, they’re so much lighter. I have a similar fit issue with a 400lb SLS spring. Fox specs TLG to be 6.5” +/- 0.25” for 400x3.5” and mine measures 7.125”. Doesn’t fit the shock without compressing the spring. Still waiting to hear back from fox on that one.

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 4:52 Quote
Erotomania wrote:
Shartriloquist wrote:
Erotomania wrote:

Glad they had a solution for you. I like the SLS springs, they’re so much lighter. I have a similar fit issue with a 400lb SLS spring. Fox specs TLG to be 6.5” +/- 0.25” for 400x3.5” and mine measures 7.125”. Doesn’t fit the shock without compressing the spring. Still waiting to hear back from fox on that one.

Did you call or email? I’ve had isssues in the past receiving responses via email sometimes. That potentially sounds like an out of spec product and could be indicative of other less visible defects, I’d be tempted to compare it to another spring of the same size if your shop happens have an extra one lying around or try to get a warranty replacement... What bike are you putting it on?

I’m glad you brought up the specific max TLG value as I forgot to mention it. For anyone interested the absolute max TLG for the v10.6 DHX2’s is 5.9”. Though I still recommend people reach out to Fox for their particular application, the following links to a table with useful supplementary information regarding max TLG for a given stroke and provides part numbers:

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=672

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 21:13 Quote
Might be late to the party on this, but the 600lbs standard spring WILL fit. Yes you no need to compress to fit the spring, however once the retaining ring on the base is installed, the preload washer should spin free a few turns before getting snug. I currently run a 600x74 sls and it runs well. I have since blown the rear shock from some huge compressions racing this season, and the shock body shows almost no signs of spring rub, and the coils have no markings of over compression. Shock should be back from full rebuild this week and back to training!!! Smile

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010005
Mobile Version of Website