Carbon vs. Alu.?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Carbon vs. Alu.?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 9:23 Quote
Hi everyone

I've got my eyes on a Bronson V3 to replaced my Jeffsy 27 (Aluminium).
I'm going to build it from the frame up, so I've been looking at the frame only prices, which are a bit weird here en Europe.

The Al. Model is pretty much in-line with the US pricing and costs around $2100 USD.
But the carbon CC is $4500 USD here, compared to the US, where it's only $3499.

But since I don't have any issues with riding aluminium bikes. Should I just save money and go for the AL frame?
Or will I be kicking myself, for not saving all my pennys to get the CC?

Since the AL is their 3rd tier frame. Does it also feel like a 3rd rate product?

My other choice is a Transition Scout. Which is also AL only. And similar price.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 20:33 Quote
The alu frame is a little bit different spec wise than the carbon (different pivots), but the suspension and bike geo is exactly the same. I'd say go ahead with the alu frame and just make everything else on the bike baller as hell. It'l only be a little heavier, but honestly who cares? Good luck man!

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 23:35 Quote
Weight is not a concern. I can loose more weight than what the bike itself weighs Razz (which would make the wife happy)
But it's just, that you don't really see that many alloy Santa Cruz bikes. I think I've seen 1 Nomad AL here on PB.

The thing is, I just want to make sure, that they're not "inferior" quality wise.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 2:38 Quote
My friend owns an aluminum frame while i have a carbon frame. On the Aluminium frame the overall finish (most noticeably the welds) isn't as great as you would expect for the price. I don't think theres a noticeable diffrence in strength exept that the carbon is a bit stiffer. So all in all the carbon frame has a just a really great finish and is a little lighter.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009174
Mobile Version of Website