Smuggler Owners: DPX2 or No?

PB Forum :: Transition
Smuggler Owners: DPX2 or No?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 8:51 Quote
Just ordered a '19 Smuggler from Transition. It'll likely be showing up at my local shop today, and built up and ready to ride early next week.

My question: is the DPX2 worth the upgrade?

My shop owner actually suggested the DPX2 early on when we started talking about the bike. Plenty of people on PB seem to agree.

But, when my shop owner called Transition, they gave him an impassioned speech about how the DPS is the right shock for the Smuggler, it's what they all ride and prefer, and they made a big mistake showing the DPX2 in their early promo videos that gave people the wrong impression.

So, those of you that have experienced both, what's your take? Does the DPX2 deliver significantly better performance? Is it all hype? Is it worth spending the $$s to upgrade, or would I be better off spending my $$s somewhere else?

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 17:02 Quote
I'm surprised they would say a DPX2 isn't a good option for the Smuggler, they seem to be pretty cool with their customers customizing their bikes. How could it be *bad* for it? Overkill, maybe, but I don't think you can say its the wrong shock for the bike. And to me it's not a big deal to try a different shock and then sell it later if you absolutely hate it (which I doubt would be the case, it's not like you're throwing on an undersprung coil shock that's the wrong length or something).

Anyways, I'm looking into an upgrade for the DPS as well. There's nothing wrong with it, but I do find the bike gets overwhelmed on super chunky terrain with repeated hits. My YT Jeffsy 140mm rear would do the same, so I don't think it's a limitation of the Smuggler's 120mm rear travel. I think its the small-ish inline shock that both bikes share. I'm also 6'5 and over 200lbs so I just feel the shock isn't enough for me.

I haven't tried it with a different shock yet, given that it's almost winter where I live, but from what I've gathered from other Smuggler riders online, there seems to be success with DPX2s, DVO Topaz, or RS Super Deluxe shocks on the Smuggler. I'd love to try even an MRP Hazzard coil with those new fancy progressive springs. But realistically, if I can find a Topaz or DPX2 on a decent deal this winter, that's what I'm going to go with I think.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 12:40 Quote
I have emails from Skye and Lars at Transition that state the DPX2 is the hot setup for the Smuggler and I couldn't agree more. I'm a big guy too. 6'3" 210lbs. Email Transition yourself and see what they say. They are very good to deal with and very straightforward.

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 13:31 Quote
garrisond5 wrote:
I have emails from Skye and Lars at Transition that state the DPX2 is the hot setup for the Smuggler and I couldn't agree more. I'm a big guy too. 6'3" 210lbs. Email Transition yourself and see what they say. They are very good to deal with and very straightforward.

That's the vibe I got from them too. I can see maybe if they didn't want to special order a 210x50mm dpx2 as a one-off at the factory, but telling a customer who's already bought the bike and wants to spend more on an upgraded shock that they shouldn't do that doesn't make any sense.

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 at 13:19 Quote
I pulled the trigger on a DPX2 yesterday for my smuggler. Should arrive in the next few days. Stoked to give it a a go!

Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 23:05 Quote
Me too. Found a takeoff from a 5010 on PB’s classifieds. Made the price easier to swollow. Excited to see how it does.

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 17:19 Quote
Keep us posted on how the shock performs.

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 12:42 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
I pulled the trigger on a DPX2 yesterday for my smuggler. Should arrive in the next few days. Stoked to give it a a go!

Where did you purchase? I'd love to get a performance elite model but it looks like all that's available online is the factory series.

Also, how are y'all handling the tune if buying as a takeoff from another bike?

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 16:28 Quote
ozarksagd wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:

Where did you purchase? I'd love to get a performance elite model but it looks like all that's available online is the factory series.

Also, how are y'all handling the tune if buying as a takeoff from another bike?
+

I bought it used off the Pinkbike buy/sell. I also could only find factory versions to purchase. The guy I bought it from had some sort of connection to Suspensionwerx and he had it fully serviced beforehand. I honestly don't know anything about shock tunes and I just left it as is. Buying a brand new version doesn't come with any option to tune it so how bad can it be? Came off of a Stumpjumper Evo and suspensionwerx changed the length to 210x50. Guy sent along some rubber bands for the negative chamber if I want to firm up the ride, but I'll try it as-is.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
The Pros Closet is selling off a bunch of NIB 210mm x 50mm DPX2s that were leftovers from Yeti. They were originally intended for the SB5 Lunch Ride. The shock come with whats equivalent to a mid-mid tune. Transition recommends a low-low tune for the Smuggler. After riding the new DPX2, I am pleasantly surprised with how it transforms the Smuggler. The medium compression tune is welcomed and the medium rebound tune did not seem to inhibit performance. I highly recommend the upgrade if you are considering it!

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
JoeCO wrote:
The Pros Closet is selling off a bunch of NIB 210mm x 50mm DPX2s that were leftovers from Yeti. They were originally intended for the SB5 Lunch Ride. The shock come with whats equivalent to a mid-mid tune. Transition recommends a low-low tune for the Smuggler. After riding the new DPX2, I am pleasantly surprised with how it transforms the Smuggler. The medium compression tune is welcomed and the medium rebound tune did not seem to inhibit performance. I highly recommend the upgrade if you are considering it!

Yeah I don't think the tune's make as big of a difference as people claim. It's another way for Fox and RS to sell their products and rack up more servicing bills. The guy I talked to said the bike-specific tune may make it easier to achieve the ride feel you want without having to mess with spacers or volume reducing tactics...but I'm fine with buying a different sized spacer and trying that. I'm also not a typical rider, so no shock is "tuned" for me anyways. I'm 6'5, 210bs with gear and all shocks feel like garbage out of the box anyways. I particularly didn't like the DPS that it came with. Specialized says right on their website "The aim is to land in the middle of the adjustment spectrum, so you can still fine-tune to your heart's content." So I think I'll be fine with the stumpy evo dpx2. The weather is warming up here in central BC so should be able to do some riding within a month or so.

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
JoeCO wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Am I being ridiculous for thinking it'll bother me to have a Kashima colored rear shock and a black stanchion front fork?

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 13:26 Quote
ozarksagd wrote:
JoeCO wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Am I being ridiculous for thinking it'll bother me to have a Kashima colored rear shock and a black stanchion front fork?

Doesn't match? Throw that bike in the garbage. It's worthless. Haha.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
Here's mine. DPX2 made a big difference for me, compared to the stock DPS. I threw in the largest volume spacer in the DPX2, and have the sag set to 35% (top end of Transition's recommended levels). So supple! And I haven't bottomed out... despite semi-frequent huck-to-flats.

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 13:16 Quote
Are y'all finding any performance benefits re: pedaling in open mode? Or is it all improvements for repeated hits? Would love someone's first hand impressions of the "transformation." Gracias!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021919
Mobile Version of Website