Smuggler Owners: DPX2 or No?

PB Forum :: Transition
Smuggler Owners: DPX2 or No?
Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 22:37 Quote
Hi,
so I found this DPX2 new from a Stumpy EVO. It's like really cheap! Bit I don't have any clue about the tune or compatibility.
Is this as easy as I think it is? It might be a lucky bargain for me.

Information I found about the shock:

„2019, FLOAT DPX2, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LV, Specialized, Stumpjumper EVO 29, 210, 50, 0.9 Spacer, CM, DRL, Rezi M+ F M+, Standard Logo, N/M“

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 23:08 Quote
dmnk wrote:
Hi,
so I found this DPX2 new from a Stumpy EVO. It's like really cheap! Bit I don't have any clue about the tune or compatibility.

„2019, FLOAT DPX2, P-S, A, 3pos, Evol LV, Specialized, Stumpjumper EVO 29, 210, 50, 0.9 Spacer, CM, DRL, Rezi M+ F M+, Standard Logo, N/M“

I have this same shock from a stumpy evo for my smuggler, and I too have no idea what I'm doing with shock tunes and such. The guy I bought it off had it serviced and put in a 0.4 spacer. I've only been for a few rides but so far, so good. Definitely doesn't feel as harsh as the dps. I'll do some more riding and tinkering and write a proper post soon.

Posted: Apr 1, 2019 at 1:56 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
dmnk wrote:
Hi,

I have this same shock from a stumpy evo for my smuggler, and I too have no idea what I'm doing with shock tunes and such. The guy I bought it off had it serviced and put in a 0.4 spacer. I've only been for a few rides but so far, so good. Definitely doesn't feel as harsh as the dps. I'll do some more riding and tinkering and write a proper post soon.

I guess I'm just gonna try it out! It should feel amazing compared to the DPS regardless.
Looking forward to your review.

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
As I said above, I picked up a DPX2 from the Pinkbike BuySell. It was a brand new take-off of a Specialized Stumpjumper Evo that SuspensionWerx had sized down from 210x55 to 210x50 so it would fit on a Smuggler. I've had 5 rides on it and I'll give you my first look thoughts so far.

Setup was easy, and I didn't expect it to be hard. Bolt it on, air it up, and set your sag. The shock came with a grey 0.4mm spacer inside and also came with two additional negative chamber rings but I haven't messed with those yet. JRA on flat ground it seems to take less input or effort to get the shock to move. And it doesn't snap into its travel and rocket back like my DPS did. Shock movement was smooth and very nice feeling. I spent a total of about 2 minutes setting the rebound on the DPX2 to get it to feel right. I had spent 3-4 rides of fiddling about on the original DPS to get the rebound right. It was either too bouncy on climbs or too dead on descents. Rebound setting on the DPX2 was really easy.

Climbing feels good, no unnecessary bob or excessive use of travel in the open position. My DPS felt great while climbing (once I got the rebound set properly), and I am happy to report that there are no negative consequences of upgrading to a DPX2.

Drops and bigger hits on the DPX2 feel amazing in comparison to the DPS. Especially at speed. Slamming into corners and airing into transitions is impressive in comparison. I haven't ridden a full out enduro bike with 160mm of rear travel for a few seasons, but the Smuggler's 120mm of rear travel feels just as plush and nice as some of those bikes I rode back in 2016.

I've only had one ride on really janky harsh tech with rocks and fast repeated hits, and while I think it is an improvement on the DPS, I still think there's room for improvement so far with the DPX2. I need to play with some settings or try a different sized spacer to see if I can get those repeated fast and hard hits feeling a little more smooth. This is my personal favourite type of riding so I'm hoping to improve things there.

More to come as I fiddle with things!

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
GO SUPER SMUGGLER!!!

Guys riding a true spirited aluminum frame are welcome to use a 210/55...
With the travel increase you’ll reach about 135mm on a way more progressive platform than the 210/50.
A 150mm front fork will be the required minimum and the head angle will open about an additional degree when on the bike due to the greater SAG.

I experimented the DPX2 and DB Coil in 210/55 on my SMALL Smuggler, they both dramatically increased the cheer factor over the shorter stroke option. Though I’m deeply in love with the coil version.

Have fun, go wild and get a good life insurance.

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
How are you not slamming the linkage into the seat tube with a 210x55? With my 210x50 and bottomed out it's super close already.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 5:12 Quote
The linkage doesn’t slam the seat tube... experimented with the Dpx without air in the local Transition store, it gives a clearance of about 1 cm and about 1,5 to 2 with the 50mm stroke.

Just watch out with some other shocks such as DB air as the piggy might hit the down tube at full travel.

This is only valid for the aluminum frame, waiting for Transition answer concerning the plastic frame.

The 55 stroke resolve the bottom out issues encountered with the 50mm stroke.

Awesome bike

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 8:18 Quote
I bought a 210x55mm DPX2 and had it sized down to 210x50mm just based on what people told me in this and other threads. Said it was impossible, you'll have interference, etc. I should have tried it first, but I have a feeling it won't work on my carbon frame. The tolerances are really tight already. Ah well, honestly not sure I'd notice another 7mm of travel or whatever it is. I did, however, lengthen my fork to 150mm and this makes my Smuggler even more fun without compromising climbing performance.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
Check it out... release the pressure from the shock and see how much clearance is left.
Many 210/50 and 210/55 are exactly the same with bushing to reduce the stroke, just need to open it and check it out. Otherwise if doesn’t work you can replace the stroke assembly on Fox Shox by a longer/shorter one, 50$ max.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 8:53 Quote
The difference in travel is huge from 120 to 135... and the bike sits lower due to greater sag giving a bette head angle.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
fredbuzz wrote:
The difference in travel is huge from 120 to 135... and the bike sits lower due to greater sag giving a bette head angle.

Technically it's 132mm. But who's counting.

FL
Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 19:51 Quote
I was bored at work the other day so drilled a piece of flat bar with an eye-to-eye of 216mm and a max travel hole at 157.5 to simulate a 216x57.5 shock (drilled the hole 1mm shorter just to be sure/safe) and found there to be 2-3mm of clearance at the full travel hole on my 2018 alloy Smuggler.

Obviously there would be a rise in BB height and I'm not sure what total travel this would result in, but it was interesting all the same. Certainly got me thinking...

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 at 18:06 Quote
The 210x55 DPX2 definitely works but is very close to making contact at full travel. I'm running the 1.2 volume spacer and 33% sag on a medium alloy frame. Have had zero contact between seat tube and rocker so far.

It changes the feel of the bike quite a bit. Way more planted and not as snappy as it was with the 210x50 DPS.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 21:40 Quote
zanderman90 wrote:
The 210x55 DPX2 definitely works but is very close to making contact at full travel. I'm running the 1.2 volume spacer and 33% sag on a medium alloy frame. Have had zero contact between seat tube and rocker so far.

It changes the feel of the bike quite a bit. Way more planted and not as snappy as it was with the 210x50 DPS.

Have you bottomed it out at all yet? I'm bottoming out quite a bit on my dps with the .95 spacer and am interested in doing this. I've got a large alloy frame

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 8:10 Quote
I use to bottom out almost every ride with the dps and have had no hard bottoms with the dpx2. I rode the big sky bike park yesterday with it and it was awesome. Definitely better at keeping the bike planted in the chop and not packing out like the dps.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014325
Mobile Version of Website