Commuter + Bike Park Bike?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Commuter + Bike Park Bike?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 10:35 Quote
Hey pinkbike - I'm trying to find a frame that may or may not exist... here's what I'm dreaming of, perhaps you can advise:

I like commuting on a rigid mountain bike. Pretty ideal for commuting urban, with options to throw the semi-slicks down a favorite trail when opportunity presents itself.

but, I'm looking to change my current commuter (too small) AND a bike park is being built in town next spring.

So, I am dreaming that I get a bike that can have the saddle up, and comfortable to pedal for many miles between work, home, and the mountains, but then can also play well off a dirt jump with the saddle slammed all the way down.

Santa Cruz Chameleon comes to mind, but that bike has a very short reach for my long torso. Any other contenders out there that I don't know about? And steel would be best, while I'm dreaming.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 11:02 Quote
I would look at the Pole Taival, it is a steel hardtail, really long reach, and can be run with 27.5 or 29 wheels. The geo is pretty agressive so it will be fine for almost any mtb trail but it also has a really steep seat angle which pouts your body in a better position for pedaling, so it should be good to commute with. Hope that helps!

Posted: Nov 22, 2018 at 15:16 Quote
This topic comes up, but the answer is semi-difficult. It totally depends on how tall you are and/or what you expect in terms of leg extension for commuting and how low you expect a seat and top tube to be for DJ and/or park use. The seat height difference can be huge, depending.

Some more in these threads:

Dirtjumper as an urban commuter bike?
https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=170716

DJ for all round use?
https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=203062

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 12:57 Quote
I know its not a commuting bike, but the new Marin San Quentin looks like a super fun all around bike (trails, descents, climbs, dirt jumps) that might be your quiver killer. You could maybe find a tire combo that works for your riding and it might work really well.

I want to say that the price on those is pretty reasonable too.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017833
Mobile Version of Website