Rockshox Pike Spacers

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rockshox Pike Spacers
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 23, 2018 at 0:08 Quote
Hey, just got a pike. Everything is dialed except the volume. The break away Force isn’t the most sentive I’ve ever felt but also the fork can feel a bit harsh in longer downhills. I currently run 25% sag and 2 spacers. I weigh 110 lbs.

Will removing spacers help with sensitivity?

thanks for any help

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 0:51 Quote
It won't. The spacers only effect the end of your fork travel (full compression) and would allow for a lower pressure in the air spring.

If it's a new fork then check it might just need to be ridden a bit to loosen up. It might be that the seals are dry, which is easy to fix.

I assume when you set the sag you equalised the pos/neg air chambers? This can make a big difference.

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 7:46 Quote
Cureton wrote:
Hey, just got a pike. Everything is dialed except the volume. The break away Force isn’t the most sentive I’ve ever felt but also the fork can feel a bit harsh in longer downhills. I currently run 25% sag and 2 spacers. I weigh 110 lbs.

Will removing spacers help with sensitivity?

thanks for any help

removing spacers will only make a difference from roughly mid-stroke

How much travel ?
If 150/160 go to 30% sag.

also to consider , most brand new forks come with very little lowers oil so there might not be much to splash around and lubricate the bushes ( these will also loosne up very slightly as the fork wears in) and the stanchions also pull oil as they cycle which help to lubricate the dust wipers

so maybe check the lowers oil and while you're in there the airspring from factory comes with a very heavy red grease
if you can remove this and replace with slick honey it will also help greatly

.... about 3cc of 20wt gold ontop of the postive seal head ain't a bad idea either Wink

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 8:37 Quote
I'd set your sag to 30% and dial back your LSC if you can.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 13:49 Quote
Pikes are notorious for being shipped very dry... It doesn't help that there's only 10cc of oil in each lower side. Doesn't take much for the oil to dry out or contaminate.

Also, when new, the stock seals take a few rides to break in and get buttery in my experience..

As a lighter rider myself I've always gone back to fully open compression with 1 token at 160mm and more for less travel.

Hope that helps

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 15:33 Quote
+1 on dry RS forks.
And when you take the lowers off to put in some oil, ditch the RS oil and go for Fox Gold 20wt. It's sooooo much better sticking to internal bits. I've serviced lots of different RS forks and they all get Fox Gold, unless the users wants to run that thin RS oil.
Set the sag to 25-30% and ride your normal trails. If you bottom out way to easy put in a token set sag again.
If you run with 25-30% sag and you don't use up to 90% of your travel, take a token out and set sag again.
0-2 clicks of LSC
Or upgrade to the new Debonair air piston ($50) and get that uber 1/3 plushness.

Try it out

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 22:43 Quote
Thanks for all the help. The compression fully open helped. Also I decided to get the debonair upgrade for better preformance

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007888
Mobile Version of Website