Bluto cold weather performance.

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Bluto cold weather performance.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 6:06 Quote
I've picked up a 2019 Rocky Mountain Blizzard 30, it comes with a Bluto RL from factory. I ride daily with my 2 Boarder Collies to exercise them, no matter the weather they need to run. I can't seem to find any new info on this years Bluto and if they have dealt with the issues regarding air loss at cold temps.

Anyone know much about this and/or should I just grab a aftermarket cold weather seal kit now?

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 3:34 Quote
Air pressure changes based on temp. There is not tech that will change that to my knowledge. I wonder if filling the shock with another gas that is not impacted by temp would be possible, like snow tires? Not sure how movement of the shock would impact this process as usually managing heat within a shock is an ongoing dynamic with air shocks. Is the shock moving a lot when you ride or are you riding more straight cross country type trails?

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 at 5:11 Quote
Been riding a Bluto for 3 winters now in temperatures as low as -25 celcius, stock seal kit. No issues. I was initially concerned when I got it as people were saying they get stuck down in the extreme cold. Figured I'd try the stock seals first and get the cold weather kit if necessary. Was never necessary...

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 12:16 Quote
i have run 2 different Bluto's in the winter and never had them crap the bed. I think i used the lockout regularly though to avoid the possibility of it happening

The winter kit is a cheap upgrade though if you have trouble.

Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 6:38 Quote
Afterr two year with a Bluto, in Very Cold temp -35 deg c . I havé been stuck down, many Time,if the temp is not to Cold it ok but i suggest that you invest in a. Good winter kit ,at your lower rebuild during the season.

Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 20:21 Quote
Grab the seal kit I had a R/S Bluto and it was really cold at least -25. The fork in the locked position and by the end of the ride the fork compressed itself and would not come back up. I now have the Mastodon and no issues this season.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
Even though the lock out seems like an attractive alternative to buying a mastadon, it does not safe guard the fork against the cold, especially below -10. I have seen too many cases of this going wrong and a expensive fork becoming nearly useless in less time than it takes to poop.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 8:36 Quote

I'm happy to say my Bluto has been fine all winter, Alberta just went through a month long deep freeze and I had no issues.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 20:29 Quote
Go Rigid, lighter, no BS!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010380
Mobile Version of Website