How to wheelie

PB Forum :: Beginners
How to wheelie
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 18:55 Quote
Hey guys, I have been mountain biking for around 1.5 years now and even though I've been practicing as much as possible (I try to practice at least once a day for a few minutes) for the past half a year, I still can't wheelie. I can get up and onto my back wheel relatively easily now I just can't seem to hold it for more then 5 metres unless I get lucky. Anyways, I was just hoping some of you would have any tips on how to balance and hold the wheelie for a bit longer than what I can do. Thanks.

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 at 19:23 Quote
Check out the how to vid's on GMBN on youtube. They have good instruction on how to just about anything on a mtb.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 13:16 Quote
See if this helps...I learned this at age 45.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIpw8Vf3Jz4

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 20:25 Quote
Two tips:

The balance point for a wheelie is achieved right before you loop out onto you arse. Your rear brake is your friend more than you know.

1) With your finger(s) over your rear brake lever, pop up on the back wheel and deliberately go too far so that you have to save yourself by squeezing the brake. Do this a thousand times. Wait longer and longer as you get more comfortable. You'd be amazed at how too far back you can go and simply grab a handful. It's a cool trick of its own. Once panic braking solidifies, you will know you have nothing to worry about. This is key to long wheelies.

2) Get into the habit of dragging the rear brake just a teeny bit all the time, starting as soon as your front wheel is in the air. You can control the bike's angle not only by pedaling to keep the front up but braking to bring it down, back and forth, back and forth... It's much easier to modulate the brake if you're already on it just a smidge, even pedaling against it. Finesse is the name of the game here- it only takes a slight pull to bring you from near-loop out to dropping the nose.

As you practice these you'll learn to coordinate your pedaling and braking to ride wheelies forever and ever, if you want. And hey, who wouldn't? Keep on with the daily practice!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016537
Mobile Version of Website