Stan's No Tubes fail. Foam tire inserts may be problem.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Stan's No Tubes fail. Foam tire inserts may be problem.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 17:18 Quote
I run 27.5 plus tires with 2.8 Ikon's. I love these tires but have had a lot of trouble with pinch flats. They perform best for me at a pressure of around 23 lbs. Unfortunately at this pressure I get a lot of pinch flats. If I go higher the flats go away but I lose traction. I installed a pool noodle as an experiment to see if an insert would help. It seemed to at first but today I got a pinch flat and a puncture. So much for the pool noodle. Maybe Huck Norris or Cush Core would perform better. But here is why I am posting this. When I put the insert in the tire I worried that the foam insert would attract the sealing particles in the Stan's liquid and they wouldn't be available should you get a puncture. Because of this I added a couple more ounces of Stan's. When I got the flat today there was a pinch flat and a puncture well into the tread. After plugging the pinch flat I found that the puncture up in the tread didn't want to seal. The liquid was coming out but the Stan's didn't have any effect. I ended up plugging it to get home. It wasn't a big puncture either. Has anyone else had this problem?

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 17:24 Quote
Are you using Stans Race Sealant..or the regular..? The Race sealant works much better.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 17:34 Quote
I am using the regular stuff, to be honest, I didn't know there was another product.

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 17:39 Quote
traildweller wrote:
I am using the regular stuff, to be honest, I didn't know there was another product.

Yeah, get the Race sealant next time, should solve your problem.

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
I've had no issues using procore with either Stan's or orange seal. Procore was also on sale at qbp last week for like 60% off.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2018 at 18:49 Quote
Thanks for your comment, you got me thinking about Procore. After some research I ended up ordering a kit. We will see how it works. Found a great deal on it so thought I would take a chance. Will probably get some race sealant while I am at it. Thanks to Hammer48 for that info.

Posted: Dec 10, 2018 at 13:52 Quote
My Experience with Stans race sealant is that its very good short term ( 1 month) then it forms a big ball over time and less sealant get dispersed whilst riding.

I can't remember if it was a comment from Stans or a user, but the application is race oriented rather than long term (6 months)

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 20:44 Quote
Foam insert manufacturers use closed-cell foam (think pool noodle, not kitchen sponge) so that the inserts do not absorb sealant. The sealant will coat the surface area of the insert, but most manufacturers report this volume being negligible to the usual 2-4oz that mtb tires need. If you're worried that much, add in an extra 0.5oz. I should say I don't have experience on OrangeSeal's behavior here but as long as it's evenly coated inside the tire shortly after install I wouldn't predict any lack of sealing performance.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009270
Mobile Version of Website