Advice on Sedona please .. 1st time

PB Forum :: USA - West
Advice on Sedona please .. 1st time
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 6:16 Quote
Hi all , My wife and I are planning a trip to Sedona in march , we are both decent XC riders who both race at a good level
I was just wondering if it is worth the visit as we live in toronto Canada
Is the riding pretty technical ? ( wife doesnt like heights )
Would our XC bikes ( cannondale Scalpel ) be fine for the terrain ? or should we rent ?
Whats best area of sedona to stay for best trail access ?

Any help would be appreciated as it is quite a big cost and I just want to make sure we do it right

Thanks in advance guys !!

Scott

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2018 at 19:24 Quote
My wife and I also went to Sedona for the first time this past spring and are More XC oriented riders. We brought our hardtails, but I did rent my wife a full-suspension bike for one day. I had a blast! Great time riding on a different terrain and type of trails compared to Santa Cruz. Great MTB Community and trail system as well. I think you both would have an awesome time! I will say there are a mixed variety of trails from beginner to expert and I am sure you could look up some good info on the web for further detailed descriptions regarding the more difficult trails, especially on Youtube. We stayed in the Village of Oak Creek area which is Southern Sedona and had great access to trailheads and bike shops. Sedona was definitely some of the hardest miles I've road due to the punchy technical sections.

Posted: Dec 14, 2018 at 10:48 Quote
Thank you for your time

jps847 wrote:
My wife and I also went to Sedona for the first time this past spring and are More XC oriented riders. We brought our hardtails, but I did rent my wife a full-suspension bike for one day. I had a blast! Great time riding on a different terrain and type of trails compared to Santa Cruz. Great MTB Community and trail system as well. I think you both would have an awesome time! I will say there are a mixed variety of trails from beginner to expert and I am sure you could look up some good info on the web for further detailed descriptions regarding the more difficult trails, especially on Youtube. We stayed in the Village of Oak Creek area which is Southern Sedona and had great access to trailheads and bike shops. Sedona was definitely some of the hardest miles I've road due to the punchy technical sections.

Posted: Jan 1, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
A great mt bike trail guide for Sedona and rides north (Flagstaff) and south (Phoenix) is the following:

Mountain Biking Arizona Trail Guide: Fat Tire Tales & Trails Paperback – February 15, 2016
by Cosmic Ray (Author, Editor, Illustrator) (Be sure to buy the latest edition).

Can get it on amazon or REI in Phoenix carries it.

Keep in mind the potential for winter weather in March with Sedona being at 5,000 ft.

If you get cold weather in March, then you can always head down to Phoenix area very quickly via interstate 17 (75 mph legally) and do some riding there as the weather can be dramatically warmer in a short drive.

If you do head south to just north of Phoenix, check out the Black Canyon trail because it offers some very unique xcountry trail riding through the majestic and extremely unique Saguaro cacti.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009001
Mobile Version of Website