Looking for FS bike for my 12 yo daughter

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Looking for FS bike for my 12 yo daughter
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Dec 4, 2018 at 6:01 Quote
My daughter is really getting into riding and starting to do some technical, steeps. It’s totally awesome! She’s 4’11” and growing. She needs a small or XS bike now. I want a good fitting bike so she feels comfortable pushing herself. I’m lookong at couple of lightly used small 29 inch wheeled bikes. Does it make semse to get her a 29er wheeled bike or is that probably too big of wheels. Should I look for 27.5 or even 26?

Any help is appreciated.

Dad of a aggro girl

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2018 at 18:09 Quote
tauren58 wrote:
My daughter is really getting into riding and starting to do some technical, steeps. It’s totally awesome! She’s 4’11” and growing. She needs a small or XS bike now. I want a good fitting bike so she feels comfortable pushing herself. I’m lookong at couple of lightly used small 29 inch wheeled bikes. Does it make semse to get her a 29er wheeled bike or is that probably too big of wheels. Should I look for 27.5 or even 26?

Any help is appreciated.

Dad of a aggro girl

For reference, I’m 5’ 2”and I find most small 27.5 too big for me, so 29 are likely going to be too big for your daughter.

Posted: Dec 15, 2018 at 0:21 Quote
tauren58 wrote:

Any help is appreciated.

Dad of a aggro girl

What's your budget? I would go 27.5 in extra small for sure. She will grow into it I'm sure. 29 Geo gets wack at smaller sizing so I would avoid that. No reason to buy a 29er since she is smaller. Small deal with travel. No need to buy a 160mm enduro bike for someone that can't use all of the travel.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 10:09 Quote
Thank you for the tips, I will avoid 29ers and look hard at finding a 26inch or 27.

Cheers!

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 22:59 Quote
I totally agree with both posters... I'm 5'2 and am happy on an extra small in most makes. I would look at the Liv Intrigue or Hail as a first bike!
Good luck!

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 16:16 Quote
I have recently been taking my 12 year old daughter out on the bikes, same height. Bit of park and downhill. We have been using a Specialized Rayne, small. its basically a Stumpjumper. 27.5 and works well for her.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 16:26 Quote
Another option, a little bit different which has worked for my daughter and some of her friends is a Slope style bike. 26" and they can take a beating. great for jumping and some of the rough stuff. usually shorter travel though.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 6, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
Thanks for the helpful reply’s! I found a used small specialized Safire comp full suspension bike with 26” wheels that should work great. I want to see her really get the bug before I throw down big bucks for a bike for her. I’m interested in the LIVs and Giant Reign for the future!

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
Ten years ago, when my 13-year-old son switched to pedaling, there were two options for buying a bike. The first is to buy at a large store, and the second is to buy a major brand at a local bike store. At that time we were the owners of a bicycle store, so we ordered a bicycle, which, in our opinion, was the quality of a well-known brand of bicycles. It turns out that this is no better than a large store. It is heavy, has a roller coaster and is designed without geometry.

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 4:56 Quote
H-Franco wrote:
Ten years ago, when my 13-year-old son switched to pedaling, there were two options for buying a bike. The first is to buy at a large store, and the second is to buy a major brand at a local bike store. At that time we were the owners of a bicycle store, so we ordered a bicycle, which, in our opinion, was the quality of a well-known brand of bicycles. It turns out that this is no better than a large store. It is heavy, has a roller coaster and is designed without geometry.

Are you really trying to say that ten years ago, you ordered a bike from the "bicycle store" you owned, and it was no better than a bike you can buy at a "large store" which i assume you mean a sports store or Walmart. You are either trolling or explaining to us why exactly your business failed.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 8:35 Quote
Squarepedaler12 wrote:
H-Franco wrote:

Are you really trying to say that ten years ago, you ordered a bike from the "bicycle store" you owned, and it was no better than a bike you can buy at a "large store" which i assume you mean a sports store or Walmart. You are either trolling or explaining to us why exactly your business failed.

10 years ago bike technology wasn't nearly as advanced as it is now. I'm not surprised that a bike from a well-known brand was no better than a bike from a department store.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 9:14 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Squarepedaler12 wrote:
H-Franco wrote:

10 years ago bike technology wasn't nearly as advanced as it is now. I'm not surprised that a bike from a well-known brand was no better than a bike from a department store.

Stay in your lane, son. While there is no argument we have a lot better products now than we did in 2009, we still had full suspension, adjustable air shocks, geometry was a thing, and we knew what did and didn't work. I understand you were just getting out of your diapers, but this guy is trying to justify that a bike from walmart is no different than a bike from (insert favorite brand here, specialized, transition, norco, etc)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010947
Mobile Version of Website