Any new reviews on the Kona 165 2018

PB Forum :: Kona
Any new reviews on the Kona 165 2018
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 4, 2018 at 13:28 Quote
Just buying one this week just looking for any recent reviews on feel and weight and how it peddles up hill

Posted: Dec 4, 2018 at 21:50 Quote
Love my 165. Rode a 2018 153 CR DL most of the season before going to the 165 for reference. The 165 doesn’t share the nimble technical climbing characteristics as the CR DL, but is surprisingly good on the uphills all around. Rides high in its travel when pedaling- perfect bike for big fire road grinds and not a total pig on singletrack ascents by any means. I’m not about to go pedal the 165 on a 25 mile ride with 4K of singletrack climbing, but it wouldn’t be out totally out of the question if the descent was worth it. My 165 has upgraded contact points/cockpit and wheels and alloy weighs in just under 36lbs.

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 19:59 Quote
If the 165 just has to pedal better than the 167. If it pedals better than the 153, 134, it may be a quiver killer. If it pedals better than the 111, I'd say Bonafide Quiver Killer.

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 at 4:05 Quote
tyoj wrote:
Love my 165. Rode a 2018 153 CR DL most of the season before going to the 165 for reference. The 165 doesn’t share the nimble technical climbing characteristics as the CR DL, but is surprisingly good on the uphills all around. Rides high in its travel when pedaling- perfect bike for big fire road grinds and not a total pig on singletrack ascents by any means. I’m not about to go pedal the 165 on a 25 mile ride with 4K of singletrack climbing, but it wouldn’t be out totally out of the question if the descent was worth it. My 165 has upgraded contact points/cockpit and wheels and alloy weighs in just under 36lbs.

Interesting comparision. I guess you are riding the 165 with the same size then the 153 cr dl.
how does the 153 perform on desecents and mellower singletrails versus the 165 ?

I could demo a 165 in S , which was to small for me , versus a 153 base alu in M which was good on climbs but felt like a tank on mellow trails. I am 5,9 .just for reference and rising an 2015 153 dl in S - which I love.

Posted: Dec 10, 2018 at 8:29 Quote
153 is the same geo in both the CR and alloy versions.

I am just over 6'1" and riding the 165 in the same size as my CR/DL, size large, with a difference of 15mm in the TT length between the two.

153 CR/DL is more lively overall on singletrack and mellower trails, but that's primarily due to the air spring and the ultra-stiff carbon frame.

I've also ridden the aluminum base model 153 and will say that the fundamental problem with that bike is the Deluxe vs. the Super Deluxe as the Deluxe lacks mid-stroke support of the piggyback shock.

The 165 is definitely more point and shoot on the descents but the 153 CR/DL is equally as capable and will save you more energy on the climb.

If you are looking to purchase a 153 Aluminum model, spend the extra money for the AL/DL with a piggyback shock or plan to upgrade the standard AL.

Hope this helps!

Posted: 24 hours ago Quote
THX Smile Actually I enjoyed the 165 downhill - but uphill or on mellow ground S was just to small for me.
That was quite suprising as I my 2015 153 has a similar reach..but the Toptube length does really make a difference.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016126
Mobile Version of Website