Nomad 4 or Bronson 3? From an Canyon Strive Owner

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Nomad 4 or Bronson 3? From an Canyon Strive Owner
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 17:12 Quote
Similar debate for me as well.

I’ve been riding a Banshee Rune (160 rear, 170 front) for the past 5 years. While I love it, I’m 6’3 200lbs and a Large with 441mm reach is way too small for me.
I have a full on dh rig (2017 commencal furious) exculsively for bike park or super gnarly freeride trails. Regular riding days on my Rune can involve everything from shuttle runs with 15’ drops to full day 50km alpine trails.
I like the idea of having a slightly shorter travel bike like the Bronson that is going to be a bit more nimble/playful and distinctly different from my dh bike. But given my size and riding style I can’t help but think the Nomad might be more up to the task.

Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 11:11 Quote
i think either will pedal better than your strive, also consider the terrain you will be riding. will the slacker nomad slow you down? or is it wide open terrain.
you not really super heavy, so again either should be fine.

I use a 2013 Nomad c with talas180 as my trail bike its 29.5 lbs (no dropper) and pedals so well! 195 lbs
VPP is such an amazing platform.

with a fox 36 160 or mrp dual crown on the nomad, mmmmm!

Posted: Jan 24, 2019 at 5:40 Quote
I’m in the same situation as well. I’d say my riding has migrated to 33% flow style single track, 33% technical rocky rutted downhill style terrain, and 33% bike park shredding. I came off of a meta am v4 that I felt didn’t have enough plowability and road too much like an xc bike, as well as a furious that just felt too numb for my liking.

Now on to my battle between the Nomad and Bronson. The design ques of the Bronson such as symmetrical rear end, upper link located closer to the seat tube, and the fully internally routed cables are all huge pluses when comparing their design. The Bronson having the ability to rock a 2.6 tire is also a plus. I dig the design of Nomad for sure, but feel the Bronson is just a bit more refined.

I initially went into my new bike search seeking a 170mm travel bike that can climb. I was set on the Capra or the Nomad, until I found the Bronson! I do like that the Bronson will be more playful, but just don’t want to miss out on the plowability of the Nomad. I do like to jib around and pop off anything I can. I’m just afraid that if I chose the Bronson, I will be back in the saddle of a bike that feels to xc oriented.

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 14:56 Quote
I’m just afraid that if I chose the Bronson, I will be back in the saddle of a bike that feels to xc oriented.[/Quote]

I have the same feeling as I don’t want to hold back progression on the big stuff,I currently ride a nomad 3 and have tested a few more modern Geo bikes and felt the confidence they can give you but don’t want to make the wrong choice between the 2

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 10:10 Quote
bikescene wrote:
I’m just afraid that if I chose the Bronson, I will be back in the saddle of a bike that feels to xc oriented.

I have the same feeling as I don’t want to hold back progression on the big stuff,I currently ride a nomad 3 and have tested a few more modern Geo bikes and felt the confidence they can give you but don’t want to make the wrong choice between the 2[/Quote]

It’s tough. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’ve got some time to keep reading and keep deciding.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
Bronson v3 does not feel xc oriented at all

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 10:19 Quote
TBaggins wrote:

That’s good to hear! Coming from a downhill background, the meta am v4 I had in the past was just way to pedally and reminded me exactly of a cross country platform.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
TBaggins wrote:

agreed-- remember a lot of pros are racing them over the nomad at big enduros. Just got my v3 replacing a slash, which is pretty apologetically gravity-oriented, and it compares extremely favorably, especially with a 170 fork!

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 20:27 Quote
I tried a Nomad (borrowed for a couple of days), spent an hour on Bronson and a couple of hours on Carbon SBG Transition Patrol. I went in convinced I would buy a Nomad, but I ended up buying the Patrol.

The Nomad was probably faster, but the Patrol was FUN. I don't really race at all.

Moved all my parts over from my Strive and just bought a new rear wheel.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 5:45 Quote
Pixels42 wrote:
I tried a Nomad (borrowed for a couple of days), spent an hour on Bronson and a couple of hours on Carbon SBG Transition Patrol. I went in convinced I would buy a Nomad, but I ended up buying the Patrol.

The Nomad was probably faster, but the Patrol was FUN. I don't really race at all.

Moved all my parts over from my Strive and just bought a new rear wheel.

Interesting, this is another bike on my list.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 5:59 Quote
Pixels42 wrote:

How is compered to Strive? And how is Nomad compered to Strive?

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 5:02 Quote
I switched from a Canyon Strive with CCDB Air CS to an Bronson CC V3 with Super Deluxe RCT.
The Bronson is faster and more stable in rough terrain. It took awhile to find the perfect rear shock setup but when you find it the vpp rear works GREAT!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020578
Mobile Version of Website