2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
adamleedy wrote:
doxey91 wrote:
This is an awesome thread had no idea people went this in depth with there bike mods!

I just got a 27.5 S3 alloy, which I was sceptical about going from a DH bike to a trail bike but it's so much more fun! The only issue I found is on right hips there is a loud knock from the rear which I think is from the hub but I'm not 100% sure. Has anybody else had this?

Also want to change the air volume on the shock but was wondering if there was one already in there before I start taking the dpx2 apart.

There is one blue volume spacer labeled .68 in^2 in my dpx from the factory.

Thanks man. Has anyone done the travel adjust mod on the shock? I have seen pics but it looks like there are 2 spacers each side of the silver shim. Is it both that need removing or just the one on the volume spacer side?

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:40 Quote
doxey91 wrote:

Thanks man. Has anyone done the travel adjust mod on the shock? I have seen pics but it looks like there are 2 spacers each side of the silver shim. Is it both that need removing or just the one on the volume spacer side?

I'm currently running the travel adjust mod (That's how I knew the volume spacer). I don't recall their being 2 spacers. It was more like a thick rubber o-ring, the shim, and then the aluminum spacer. I slid the air canister off the shock, snipped the spacer with some heavy wire cutters I had, cleaned everything to make sure no metal shavings from the snipping was in there, and then reassembled with a fresh dash of float fluid. Took about 5 minutes and I've had no issues since.

I do have a CC inline coil with 55mm stroke I just got back from CC to mount up but a buddy of mine borrowed my coil to try a different spring rate while he's traveling in CO this week so I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet other than fitting to make sure there are no clearance issues.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 11:05 Quote
adamleedy wrote:
doxey91 wrote:

I'm currently running the travel adjust mod (That's how I knew the volume spacer). I don't recall their being 2 spacers. It was more like a thick rubber o-ring, the shim, and then the aluminum spacer. I slid the air canister off the shock, snipped the spacer with some heavy wire cutters I had, cleaned everything to make sure no metal shavings from the snipping was in there, and then reassembled with a fresh dash of float fluid. Took about 5 minutes and I've had no issues since.

I do have a CC inline coil with 55mm stroke I just got back from CC to mount up but a buddy of mine borrowed my coil to try a different spring rate while he's traveling in CO this week so I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet other than fitting to make sure there are no clearance issues.

I see did you see a noticeable difference with the mod? Overall I like how the dpx2 performs even going from a DH bike it worked well plenty of grip and small bump wasn't and issue, the only thing I noticed was when the shock was in a compression and it encountered another bump it felt harsh. Did the mod help with this without a bigger volume spacer?

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
doxey91 wrote:
I see did you see a noticeable difference with the mod? Overall I like how the dpx2 performs even going from a DH bike it worked well plenty of grip and small bump wasn't and issue, the only thing I noticed was when the shock was in a compression and it encountered another bump it felt harsh. Did the mod help with this without a bigger volume spacer?

I actually never rode the bike unmodded so I can't say if there was any difference or not. However, I will say that what you described is my number one (and really only) complaint about the bike so far. It handles big hits really well and small bump compliance is quite good until it is successive hits one after another. In fast chattery trails (which is what we have a lot of in Tucson) it feels pretty harsh. At first I thought I had the rebound too slow and it was packing down in the travel, but even with rebound fully open, it feels harsh on repeated bumps at speed. I'm hoping the coil alleviates this problem.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
adamleedy wrote:
doxey91 wrote:

I actually never rode the bike unmodded so I can't say if there was any difference or not. However, I will say that what you described is my number one (and really only) complaint about the bike so far. It handles big hits really well and small bump compliance is quite good until it is successive hits one after another. In fast chattery trails (which is what we have a lot of in Tucson) it feels pretty harsh. At first I thought I had the rebound too slow and it was packing down in the travel, but even with rebound fully open, it feels harsh on repeated bumps at speed. I'm hoping the coil alleviates this problem.

Did you leave the volume spacer out and give it a try (with a little more pressure to compensate) - I've found this made a huge difference to the problem you're describing, and haven't found any downsides yet.

With the spacer in (biggest one available for shock BTW) it felt harsh on repeated hits and I couldn't get full travel. Made the mistake of running more sag/less pressure to see if I could get full travel - this makes it worse. Basically means you sit in the zone where the shock is ramping up more, making it felt harsher.

I may end up running a small spacer once I've had more time in the bike, but I can't see myself adding the original one back in.

Yet to do the travel adjust mod but it's on the list.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 23:01 Quote
So I just pulled the air can off mine to have a look and found there are a green and an orange rubber volume spacer on the negative side. Has anyone removed these and tried it. Surely shock manufacturers have been increasing the negative volumes in air shocks, why would anyone want to reduce it?

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 3:39 Quote
I've just opened it up, and indeed i also have these 2 seals. Does the fork have any volume spacers inside ?

doxey91 wrote:
So I just pulled the air can off mine to have a look and found there are a green and an orange rubber volume spacer on the negative side. Has anyone removed these and tried it. Surely shock manufacturers have been increasing the negative volumes in air shocks, why would anyone want to reduce it?

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 4:14 Quote
Yes the fork runs 3 purple spacer from factory. Drop down to one and try it out.

Volume spacers are going full circle now. With the evol airshafts it’s all about allowing the airspring to be as linear as possible to resemble a coil shock/fork.

The airsprings are getting that good that you are getting the small bump sensitivity but having a bit of mid stroke support thanks to the air pressure, not to mention the added ramp up of air. The whole point is not to sit in the mid stroke or late in the stroke as this is when suspension feels harsh.

That been said, I’m running a coil insert in my 36 and no amount of servicing, bushing sizing or voodoo will match the small bump of a coil.... for now anyway.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 5:43 Quote
Brasher wrote:
Yes the fork runs 3 purple spacer from factory. Drop down to one and try it out.

Volume spacers are going full circle now. With the evol airshafts it’s all about allowing the airspring to be as linear as possible to resemble a coil shock/fork.

The airsprings are getting that good that you are getting the small bump sensitivity but having a bit of mid stroke support thanks to the air pressure, not to mention the added ramp up of air. The whole point is not to sit in the mid stroke or late in the stroke as this is when suspension feels harsh.

That been said, I’m running a coil insert in my 36 and no amount of servicing, bushing sizing or voodoo will match the small bump of a coil.... for now anyway.

I am yet to open up the fork as it felt really good if I'm honest. It's the shock I found negative air volume spacers in when I was taking the travel spacer out. I will probably end up going up in fork travel now the rear has more, not sure how much yet though.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
After reading all the comments I'm still not clear on the main difference between 27.5 and 29 frames. I'm looking at 27.5 frame in size S3 that's sold locally to me, but have parts for 29 build. I've noticed a guy tried wagon wheels on 27.5 frame, even watched his video, but still not sure if I should pull the trigger on Evo or Hightower LT in size XL. I know, those bikes are very different and my riding style is leaning towards aggressive trail riding.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 15:07 Quote
650B S3 is longer and lower in the BB.

If you have the parts to build one up from a frame getting the Specialized makes financial sense (in alloy)

That been said, I would imagine the Hightower would make a better trail bike. The evo is extremely gravity focussed but can do trail duties no problem. But point that thing down a steep hill and it comes alive!

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 16:57 Quote
Just got my stumpy evo 29 s2 I'm about 5'9 feels great although I havnt ridden it much cause its brand new. I had to get the shock warrantied before riding it because the old one was leaking but fox hooked it up with the factory model. I added a few things just personal just really. I wanna burn this nx groupset before upgrading cause why not.

I upgraded the brakes cause I hate new sram brakes personally they feel terrible but fishing the 5.5mm goodridge lines threw the frame was no easy task at all. very tough.

also anybody else have issues with their dropper post cable housing being jammed and won't move back and forth? eg to adjust seat height

also I found out specialized stocks an xd driver upgrade for this wheelset and it's cheap 40cad so I bought that (s162100006) but have yet to install it cause I wanna burn this heavy ass nx one first.

other than that I installed:
loaded amx 35 carbon bar cut to 770
kore 50 mm stem 35clamp
spec. power saddle 155
hope tech 3 V4 brakes from my dh
uber bike rotors 203 floating (she stops good)

I also polished a few things cause I like to do that so some of the linkage bolts and the shock yoke and the brake adaptors maybe more to come what do you guys think?

also very curious about this rear shock spacer trim mod and wanna know if anyone knows if it voids warranty?

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 19:15 Quote
I liked the polished bits, very cool!

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 0:29 Quote
kitchin wrote:
also very curious about this rear shock spacer trim mod and wanna know if anyone knows if it voids warranty?

My LBS, which is very close to Specialized, insisted that the mod was Ok warranty wise, to the point they removed the spacer themselves.

It's one of those things Specialized won't write down in the user manual but they're like OK with it.
Same goes for the 160mm fork. The manual says "150MM ONLY!!!!" but when directly contacted they say 160 is ok

Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 16:16 Quote
Does anyone know the maximum dropper insertion of an s2 alloy stumpy?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014847
Mobile Version of Website