2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Author Message
Posted: Aug 25, 2019 at 18:20 Quote
Arierep wrote:
kitchin wrote:
also very curious about this rear shock spacer trim mod and wanna know if anyone knows if it voids warranty?

My LBS, which is very close to Specialized, insisted that the mod was Ok warranty wise, to the point they removed the spacer themselves.

It's one of those things Specialized won't write down in the user manual but they're like OK with it.
Same goes for the 160mm fork. The manual says "150MM ONLY!!!!" but when directly contacted they say 160 is ok

thanks a ton I might do that in the next day or so. also jumping the fork to 160 is the first thing on my list of future upgrades

Brasher wrote:
I liked the polished bits, very cool!

Thanks man It takes time haha do you think I should do the last black peice in the linkage or leave it black? I'm pretty torn. also I plan to polish the air can cause a spare is 20$ from fox what do you guys think of that haha Ill be sure to post photos once done

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 0:03 Quote
Arierep wrote:
kitchin wrote:
also very curious about this rear shock spacer trim mod and wanna know if anyone knows if it voids warranty?

It's one of those things Specialized won't write down in the user manual but they're like OK with it.
Same goes for the 160mm fork. The manual says "150MM ONLY!!!!" but when directly contacted they say 160 is ok

This may be a dumb question (but might be a good one). So the OE fox 36's come with 150mm travel although the stanchions sit 160mm out from the lowers... so when you say specialized say a 160mm fork is ok does that mean that a 170mm fork is allowed given that it only will sit 10mm higher above the OE fork?
Also handy one for anyone who wants to over fork the bike, a 170mm fork "should" only slacken the bike .5° rather then a whole 1°, going on the 10mm/.5°
Am i right or wayyyy off?

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 3:09 Quote
With Fox you usually have about 7mm exposed stanchion at bottom out.

I have my 36 at 170. I high Mode it’s 63.2 degrees. In low it’s bordering ridiculous and too hard to weight the front wheel.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 5:10 Quote
Caleire wrote:
Arierep wrote:
kitchin wrote:
also very curious about this rear shock spacer trim mod and wanna know if anyone knows if it voids warranty?

It's one of those things Specialized won't write down in the user manual but they're like OK with it.
Same goes for the 160mm fork. The manual says "150MM ONLY!!!!" but when directly contacted they say 160 is ok

This may be a dumb question (but might be a good one). So the OE fox 36's come with 150mm travel although the stanchions sit 160mm out from the lowers... so when you say specialized say a 160mm fork is ok does that mean that a 170mm fork is allowed given that it only will sit 10mm higher above the OE fork?
Also handy one for anyone who wants to over fork the bike, a 170mm fork "should" only slacken the bike .5° rather then a whole 1°, going on the 10mm/.5°
Am i right or wayyyy off?

Specialized allows for a fork which has a Axle to Crown (A2C) length 10mm longer than stock.
Frames are not homologated/tested based on exposed stanchion, but on A2C length.
For the 29 Stumpy that would be around 560mm so to accommodate for RS and Fox lengths (562mm and 557mm respectively).
They allow for forks with +10mm that, or around 570mm.

If for some reason you find with 570mm a2c and 200mm stanchions, you'll be ok

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 8:21 Quote
wrote:
Specialized allows for a fork which has a Axle to Crown (A2C) length 10mm longer than stock.
Frames are not homologated/tested based on exposed stanchion, but on A2C length.
For the 29 Stumpy that would be around 560mm so to accommodate for RS and Fox lengths (562mm and 557mm respectively).
They allow for forks with +10mm that, or around 570mm.

If for some reason you find with 570mm a2c and 200mm stanchions, you'll be ok

Cheers for clearing that up, yep the A2C length makes a bunch more sense

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
my EVO is set at 170mm with a Smashpot in Low setting. 62.7 H/A... I love it and have no issues with weighting the front tire. EXT Storia V3 for rear, GX Drivetrain and different wheels than stock. It's a rocket ship!!!! Enduro Killer.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 15:24 Quote
jaydawg69 wrote:
my EVO is set at 170mm with a Smashpot in Low setting. 62.7 H/A... I love it and have no issues with weighting the front tire. EXT Storia V3 for rear, GX Drivetrain and different wheels than stock. It's a rocket ship!!!! Enduro Killer.

Canada has steeper hills than Australia Smile

I can't weight the front enough in low @170mm, even with no spacers under the stem. When I head to the ski fields and ride the lift access tracks I run it in low however. But the trails have huge berms and you just hang on for dear life at 60kph.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 16:24 Quote
Brasher wrote:
jaydawg69 wrote:
my EVO is set at 170mm with a Smashpot in Low setting. 62.7 H/A... I love it and have no issues with weighting the front tire. EXT Storia V3 for rear, GX Drivetrain and different wheels than stock. It's a rocket ship!!!! Enduro Killer.

Canada has steeper hills than Australia Smile

I can't weight the front enough in low @170mm, even with no spacers under the stem. When I head to the ski fields and ride the lift access tracks I run it in low however. But the trails have huge berms and you just hang on for dear life at 60kph.

I had some issues earlier on getting weight on the front but I changed my angle of levers and rolled the bars more forward. You could also get a longer stem. I really like having the fork at 170... smashy smash.

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
So I've given my bike a good test now with the negative volume spacers removed from the dpx2 and it feels really good very plush and very capable. It deals with repeated hits very well which it didn't before. Maybe this is why so many people ditched it for a coil or a different air shock because I honestly can't fault it. I've only ever ridden coil shocks on DH bikes but this feels just as plush but with loads more pop!

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
What did you do with the spacer in the positive chamber ? A friend of mine told me to buy the spacer pack and install a smaller one. I had in the fork 3 spacers from Fox and only have 1 left. In the rear i have left the positive one and removed one of the 2 negative spacers. For me the bike feels properly tankish Big Grin


doxey91 wrote:
So I've given my bike a good test now with the negative volume spacers removed from the dpx2 and it feels really good very plush and very capable. It deals with repeated hits very well which it didn't before. Maybe this is why so many people ditched it for a coil or a different air shock because I honestly can't fault it. I've only ever ridden coil shocks on DH bikes but this feels just as plush but with loads more pop!

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
I have left it as it is until I go to dyfi bike park. I may re evaluate my say setting currently on 225 psi at 30% sag of the original travel but feels good so far. I may reduce the size of that depending on how much travel I use at dyfi as there are a lot bigger hits there. The forks I like how they feel currently may go up to 160 but the current 3 spacers I'm happy with. Dmr death grips got rid of any harshness on the hands with that kind of progression

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:42 Quote
Hi,

Has anyone installed a 210x55 shock to stumpjumper 27.5 2019? Does the wheel touch the frame?

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 10:20 Quote
tomasc wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone installed a 210x55 shock to stumpjumper 27.5 2019? Does the wheel touch the frame?

reports have been no issues. I did it to my 29er and lots of space. I suspect that the 650b has even more clearance.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
tomasc wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone installed a 210x55 shock to stumpjumper 27.5 2019? Does the wheel touch the frame?

No problems reported. Here's the approximate travel increases:

52.5........~147mm
55...........~154/155mm
57...........~162/163mm

Incidentally, there has been shock to frame clearance issues mentioned for Ohlins shocks.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 19:34 Quote
That's because the eye to eye is around 212mm on the TTX, someone at ohlins doesn't own a ruler.

In high mode the yoke fouls the seat tube.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007868
Mobile Version of Website