2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 2:12 Quote
endoguru wrote:
adamleedy wrote:
Read through the whole thread and didn't see anyone mention running an Avalanche tuned shock on the EVO.
My EVO frame arrives tomorrow and I've been talking to Craig at Avalanche a bit. His suggestion is that the Marzocchi CR/Fox Vanilla RC with an avalanche custom tune is the best possible setup for this bike. Does anyone here have any experience with that setup?

I have the Ext Storia which came off my S2 29er which I traded for an S3 27.5. Andrew at Brennan Motorsports is going to put a lighter compression tune in the shock. I guess the 27.5 puts less leverage on the shock. I’m having Craig at Avalanche tune a Marzocchi for me next week so I’ll have that while the Storia is being revolved. I’ll report on which is better for me after a few rides.

Any news on how the Marzocchi compares?

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 2:24 Quote
Anyone running a 27.5 Evo frame with a MRP Ribbon and 27.5+ wheels?
Thinking of upgrading from a Fuse frame to the SJ Evo and running the forks at 160.

According to the Specialized documentation the frame should be able to run a 27.5x3.0 in the back...

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
Hi guys, I've just read most of your useful info here in these thread, I wasn't aware that there was room to increase the rear travel of our Stumpjumper over the standard 210x50 - 140mm. thanks guys!
I'm riding the expert ST which I'm going to change the ammo extension with the 98mm version because I would like to convert mine ST in to a more fun LT. and to do that I was looking for a Shox of 210x50. but now, reading you feedback, I think to buy a 52.5 in order to have a 147mm! my question here is, do you know if by doing that customization there is any risk for the rear yoke to impact on the seat post? do carbon and alloy have the same clearance?
actually my choice should be the DHX2 coil.
thanks guys! here in Italy I need more travel to recover my poor riding skills!! :-P

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 1:23 Quote
I would personally check up with Specialized if the Stumpjumper ST is accepting these kind of shox without changing your geo too mutch. I dont know how the rear triangle is. Looks shorter in my opinion.

pasoela1 wrote:
Hi guys, I've just read most of your useful info here in these thread, I wasn't aware that there was room to increase the rear travel of our Stumpjumper over the standard 210x50 - 140mm. thanks guys!
I'm riding the expert ST which I'm going to change the ammo extension with the 98mm version because I would like to convert mine ST in to a more fun LT. and to do that I was looking for a Shox of 210x50. but now, reading you feedback, I think to buy a 52.5 in order to have a 147mm! my question here is, do you know if by doing that customization there is any risk for the rear yoke to impact on the seat post? do carbon and alloy have the same clearance?
thanks guys! here in Italy I need more travel to recover my poor riding skills!! :-P

Posted: Sep 19, 2019 at 14:51 Quote
pasoela1 wrote:

Sell the ST and get the EVO....

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 2:41 Quote
The bike has evolved

Heres my 2019 Stumpy EVO Carbon S2 27.5. The Frame replaced a 2015 Enudro Evo 180mm front and back, which was nice and slack but had too much travel and weight for my riding.

I'm really impressed with the new bike, i feel better in the berms and the bike is much more lively and poppy owing to the shorter travel and stiffer frame.

Full XT 12 speed drive-train
DT wheels and hubs
Code Brakes
Renthal Cockpit
DHX2 - 500lb spring
Fox 36's lowered to 160mm - 51psi and 2 tokens
160 command dropper.

i'm 5'9 " / 176cm and weigh 154lbs / 11 stone
S2 frame fit feels perfect to me.

Weighs in at 13.9kg / 30.7 pounds
Bike is super fun, looking forward to more shredding

Cheers

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
Big Grin

jaydawg69 wrote:
pasoela1 wrote:

Sell the ST and get the EVO....

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
Riders who have changed the shock 50 to a 52.5? Have you noticed much difference or changed settings at all?
Is there any cons? As a 147mm on the 29 evo sounds good

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 0:56 Quote
hi all,

I have had my eye on the Evo for quite some time, but once they seemed to sell out of S2 in brushed aluminium, I went off the idea. I think I have found somewhere with one in stock, so I am once again very interested.

after reading every review under the sun, I am still unsure if its 'too much bike' or too 'extreme' geometry wise for me. Most reviews seem to slate the bike in a few area's, yet still give it a good score (MBR review says its not great in many areas, but then gives it 8/10...?!)

Yet the pinkbike review is more positive.

Anyway.... that's by the by, as a pro journalist will be much more critical.

What I want to know is does this bike work well as a trail bike? I live in the south of England and mainly ride places like Peaselake/Redlands, QECP (off piste & marked trails) and with the odd trip to places like FoD and Bikepark wales. I enjoy a flow trail, but equally like the steep stuff (although there isn't a vast amount of it with the mentioned places that I ride).

Any info or feedback is much appreciated. I want to move fairly fast so I don't miss out on getting one, but equally, I don't want to get one if its not suited to what I ride!

cheers!

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 1:11 Quote
It rides fine as a trail bike and I’ve reset many a PB on the flatter trail stuff but when it gets steep this is where this bike really holds it’s own. It’s also epic at the bike park with the low BB, it rails corners and jumps fantastic with the long wheelbase.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 1:36 Quote
Brasher wrote:
It rides fine as a trail bike and I’ve reset many a PB on the flatter trail stuff but when it gets steep this is where this bike really holds it’s own. It’s also epic at the bike park with the low BB, it rails corners and jumps fantastic with the long wheelbase.

thanks Brasher. having just read through the entire thread again, I see I asked a similar question before! Looks like I might need to crack out the credit card!!

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 3:29 Quote
I just did a 4 day, 250km, 4000m vertical gain bikepacking trip on mine. It was amazing.
So yes, I think it qualifies as a good trail bike.

Interestingly, I think it even becomes a better trail bike with a 160mm fork and high position. It keeps the amazing steering angle but with a more manageable BB height. Mine now climbs amazingly well like this

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 4:03 Quote
Arierep wrote:
I just did a 4 day, 250km, 4000m vertical gain bikepacking trip on mine. It was amazing.
So yes, I think it qualifies as a good trail bike.

Interestingly, I think it even becomes a better trail bike with a 160mm fork and high position. It keeps the amazing steering angle but with a more manageable BB height. Mine now climbs amazingly well like this

perfect! thanks for the info.

I have cleared it with the other half (or rather, told her... you know, me man, me in charge!), so looks like I could be a new owner shortly!

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 5:24 Quote
aby312 wrote:
endoguru wrote:
adamleedy wrote:
Read through the whole thread and didn't see anyone mention running an Avalanche tuned shock on the EVO.
My EVO frame arrives tomorrow and I've been talking to Craig at Avalanche a bit. His suggestion is that the Marzocchi CR/Fox Vanilla RC with an avalanche custom tune is the best possible setup for this bike. Does anyone here have any experience with that setup?

I have the Ext Storia which came off my S2 29er which I traded for an S3 27.5. Andrew at Brennan Motorsports is going to put a lighter compression tune in the shock. I guess the 27.5 puts less leverage on the shock. I’m having Craig at Avalanche tune a Marzocchi for me next week so I’ll have that while the Storia is being revolved. I’ll report on which is better for me after a few rides.

Any news on how the Marzocchi compares?

I forgot to order the bushings with the shock and they are back ordered from Fox. I’ve had the shock for 3 weeks and haven’t been able to ride it. As soon as they come in I’ll swap out the EXT and let you know what I think of the difference between the 2 shocks. I will say the EXT is noticeably lighter.

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
Very interested to see how the tuned Zocchi goes, that sounds like my next plan of attack.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012115
Mobile Version of Website