2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
Hey Doxey, let me know how you get on - I'm in the UK as well with an S3 EVO 27.5.

I got my EVO frame mail order in May and my shock failed after about 300 miles (approx 40 hours of use), air mixed with the damper oil and it gurgled on compression/rebound. As I couldn't get it back to the shop I bought it from I sent it to Fox UK (Silverfish) myself. It got fixed under warranty but Fox being Fox, no advice what was wrong or what they did :-(. It seems OK now.

I've also taken out the negative volume spacers and replaced with the smallest , black coloured one (0.08 ci instead of stock 0.28 (0.12 + 0.16) and was already running a slightly smaller positive volume spacer (0.6 ci instead of stock 0.86). So had to increase pressure from 230 to 250psi for same sag.

Small bump and mid stroke feels nice but not sure if it will still blow through on big hits. Might go back to 0.86 positive spacer and just one of the mid sized negative spacers.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 4:18 Quote
steel4real wrote:
Hey Doxey, let me know how you get on - I'm in the UK as well with an S3 EVO 27.5.

I got my EVO frame mail order in May and my shock failed after about 300 miles (approx 40 hours of use), air mixed with the damper oil and it gurgled on compression/rebound. As I couldn't get it back to the shop I bought it from I sent it to Fox UK (Silverfish) myself. It got fixed under warranty but Fox being Fox, no advice what was wrong or what they did :-(. It seems OK now.

I've also taken out the negative volume spacers and replaced with the smallest , black coloured one (0.08 ci instead of stock 0.28 (0.12 + 0.16) and was already running a slightly smaller positive volume spacer (0.6 ci instead of stock 0.86). So had to increase pressure from 230 to 250psi for same sag.

Small bump and mid stroke feels nice but not sure if it will still blow through on big hits. Might go back to 0.86 positive spacer and just one of the mid sized negative spacers.

Rutland cycles rang me yesterday and said the shock has gone to plush suspension as they are the UK's specialized service center. I'll let you know the outcome hopefully they can tell me exactly what has been done. They also mentioned that specialized didn't know anything about frame alignment issues. I have ordered the biggest volume spacer and will continue to run the negative without any as it seems wrong when all manufacturers have gone with bigger negative volumes. I can only assume that is what the specialized RX tune is as it seems unlikely the damping circuit would have been changed just for this bike. And with the leverage curve being quite linear I don't want to run less sag. My ideal pressure has been 225 psi so far without loosing the small bump and I used full travel a few times so it seems like the right choice to go with the biggest. Maybe I'm a little aggressive and ride it like I did my DH bike but it should still handle it in my eyes.

Should have an answer by the end of the week.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 14:05 Quote
doxey91 wrote:
[ ... ] the biggest volume spacer [ ... ] will continue to run the negative without any as it seems wrong when all manufacturers have gone with bigger negative volumes [ ... ] with the leverage curve being quite linear I don't want to run less sag [ ... ]

Correct, correct, and partially correct. tup

A linear motion ratio curve is the ideal situation to reduce sag. Since the support doesn't ramp up as quickly as on more progressive bikes, additional support via increased spring pressure won't result in a wall of ramp-up that prevents you from accessing full travel. Mind you, the MegNeg changes the spring profile at the sag point, so you should expect to have maybe 25% - 30% sag after making the change.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 19:01 Quote
Spent the week in nz testing suspension. The gondola at Queenstown is super fast so repeating runs was easy. Run into Steve from vorsprung in the lift line and ended up picking his brain. In the end the super cheap deluxe rt3 I bought got transformed into a world beater with tractive tune and Meg neg.

Initially I rode the cc db coil IL, got a good tune but some of the flat landings resulted in assaulting the bottom out bumper. Then I swapped to my go to Air CS and got it even better with some tweaking of lsc.

Then the ext storia was excellent, but the price was about 4x what the little deluxe cost me in the end. The deluxe with the mods really does feel like coil until you come to the end stroke where it progresses nicely. It’s like the best bit of all the shocks rolled into one. Setup was super fast too and within 2 runs I found a good baseline. You can push down with one hand on the seat at 280psi and can push through the stroke within reason.

I’d say if you had the $$ the ext is amazing. But I found the deluxe to be every bit as good and I can service this one at home. Ended up with a 2 red spacers in the positive side and 2 bands in the negative chamber, 5 clicks rebound and obviously open on the 3 position switch.

Another thing we found during the whole process was that one of my linkage bearings was toast. Replacing that got rid of the mid stroke notch the bike had which was such a simple but ignored issue.

I had a great trip and met some very knowledgeable people. I was very close to moving on from the Evo frame to something else but the big S3 29er was amazing in the nz steeps.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 19:33 Quote
Also if you have a Lyrik or Yari vorsprung is going to blow your mind soon. I saw some crazy prototypes been tested. Imagine an extra air canister on the lower left leg.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 21:42 Quote
Sounds like you had a blast in paradise, learned some things and saw some cool stuff. I call that a great holiday. I especially liked hearing about the little Deluxe that can hang with the best of them.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 11:07 Quote
Anyone running standard 51mm offset fork on an evo? I have a stumpy 29 LT and just considering a frame swap in the future. Thanks

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 18:11 Quote
Does anyone know the exact bushing size for the stumpjumper alloy frame, in my case the stumpjumper comp alloy, where the shock meets the top tube? Can’t seem to find the bushing available online anywhere.

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 3:28 Quote
steel4real wrote:
Nice one Smile

So my shock had to have a new outer damper shaft a new air sleeve and obviously a rebuild kit. Hopefully I get the bike back in time to try it Saturday. The shops just waiting for a new seat as the original one was cracking.

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 3:43 Quote
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:
Does anyone know the exact bushing size for the stumpjumper alloy frame, in my case the stumpjumper comp alloy, where the shock meets the top tube? Can’t seem to find the bushing available online anywhere.

I might do, i have a new bushing in a packet. will let you know

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
PhilBlackborow wrote:
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:

I might do, i have a new bushing in a packet. will let you know

Thank you Phil please check it out!

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 12:09 Quote
Bushing is 20.00 mm x M6 bore.

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 12:12 Quote
doxey91 wrote:
steel4real wrote:
Nice one Smile

So my shock had to have a new outer damper shaft a new air sleeve and obviously a rebuild kit. Hopefully I get the bike back in time to try it Saturday. The shops just waiting for a new seat as the original one was cracking.

Thanks for the info - these shocks really don't seem to last very well do they !?

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
Sometimes it's the frame alignment. Sometimes the shock.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006195
Mobile Version of Website