2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
Benduro83 wrote:
Is this linkage suitable for use with cane creek progressive rate spring? Looking forward to trying this out when it's available

Yes. Even with the Cascade link, it's still only moderately progressive.

Posted: Feb 9, 2020 at 20:42 Quote
Benduro83 wrote:
Is this linkage suitable for use with cane creek progressive rate spring? Looking forward to trying this out when it's available

In my opinion yes. The one thing that becomes tricky is dialing in the ride height. You don't really want to use preload to set ride height and there currently isn't a huge selection of progressive springs finding one with the perfect initial spring rate is harder. If one of the offered initial rates has the proper ride height it will feel very bottomless though.

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 12:42 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
Benduro83 wrote:

In my opinion yes. The one thing that becomes tricky is dialing in the ride height. You don't really want to use preload to set ride height and there currently isn't a huge selection of progressive springs finding one with the perfect initial spring rate is harder. If one of the offered initial rates has the proper ride height it will feel very bottomless though.

Ok cool thanks for the reply. For my 70kg rider weight I use a 450-550lb which is ok but still needs a lot of compression and high speed rebound damping to be a firm platform. Also have a 502lb Ohlins spring so I'm guessing with the linkage installed one of those set ups might work pretty well for dialing the correct ride height

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Benduro83 wrote:

Yes. Even with the Cascade link, it's still only moderately progressive.

I must admit the while the progressive rate spring has helped somewhat, this bike is pretty difficult to tune well with a coil. Now that I've actually done some proper racing on it I found it needs quite a bit of damping to hold up in that scenario. Hopefully the link can help with the feel somewhat. It's entirely possible that I'm simply asking too much out of this type of rear suspension design though.

This bike certainly forces you to learn a few things

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 13:59 Quote
Benduro83 wrote:
I must admit the while the progressive rate spring has helped somewhat, this bike is pretty difficult to tune well with a coil. Now that I've actually done some proper racing on it I found it needs quite a bit of damping to hold up in that scenario. Hopefully the link can help with the feel somewhat. It's entirely possible that I'm simply asking too much out of this type of rear suspension design though.

This bike certainly forces you to learn a few things

The fall back of the bike, and any bike in this category as well, is the shock stroke. The Bronson suffers from the same thing and the new SC ebike will have it even worse. With only a 50-55 mm stroke a stiffer spring or higher air pressure is needed to keep it from bottoming out unless you crank the damping, which tends to make bikes feel harsh. With the stock link the stiffer spring kills your sag so there's hardly any negative travel from the sag point. At 70% more progressive than the stock link our spring rates are a reasonable amount stiffer than what would be run with the stock link and sag the proper amount when weighted. This allows you to rely less on damping for support and bottom out resistance without having to run less sag than desirable. The end result is the bike tracks better while also having more mid-stroke support and much more bottom out resistance. It's still no mini-dh bike, but the difference is dramatic.

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
I think that's the biggest issue with this bike, the Geo encourages you to go full HAM. The fork and brakes are up to task to hit shit at a million miles an hour but the rear kinematic is your "sunday trailride with the missus" mode.

Hopefully your link will get that rear end into the party zone where the rest of the bike is Smile

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 15:43 Quote
That definitely rings true with my experience on this bike too.
On the plus side the amount of different ways you can set this bike up is really interesting so you can learn a lot.
Not quite ready to give up on it yet but I suspect long term I'll end up on the new enduro since clearly that's what I'm trying to turn this into haha

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 15:45 Quote
long stroke it, put this link on and a EXT Storia on it.... no need for an Enduro and save a lot of money.

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
jaydawg69 wrote:
long stroke it, put this link on and a EXT Storia on it.... no need for an Enduro and save a lot of money.

I'm at 160/154 with a custom tune dhx2 atm so it is better than I give it credit for. I also have a 2020 Demo 29 so the smash ability of that sets my expectations too high usually.
I think I will keep this Evo even if I get something else. Wouldn't mind trying a 170mm coil conversion at some point

Posted: Feb 11, 2020 at 22:55 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
At 70% more progressive than the stock link [ ... ]

(1.7) × (not much) = (still not much) Wink

It's true the high leverage ratio and moderate damping tune will always be a challenge. A firmer damper tune and the Cascade link would be a nice combination for heavier riders or bigger impacts.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 4:35 Quote
Anybody tried a 180mm airshaft on the 27.5 bike? In theory at the same sag point there would only be 6mm difference. I get the steering would feel floppy on climbs and fatter stuff but I could deal with that if it's awesome back down.

What are people's thoughts?

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 5:29 Quote
I would not put any longer fork than what the warranty allows, specially if you're on the heavy side.
Specialized allows for +10mm longer forks on all Stumpjumpers

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 6:21 Quote
Arierep wrote:
I would not put any longer fork than what the warranty allows, specially if you're on the heavy side.
Specialized allows for +10mm longer forks on all Stumpjumpers

Thanks but in the unlikely event of the frame snapping I don't think anyone will go to the trouble of measuring the forks travel.

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
(1.7) × (not much) = (still not much) Wink

It's true the high leverage ratio and moderate damping tune will always be a challenge. A firmer damper tune and the Cascade link would be a nice combination for heavier riders or bigger impacts.

It's actually better in terms of progression than a stock Hightower

Posted: Feb 12, 2020 at 8:56 Quote
It's more than some and less than others. And the damping force at the wheel is lighter than most.

I'm not saying it's a bad bike or your link is a bad product, just helping people understand the kinematics.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010193
Mobile Version of Website