2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 5:00 Quote
I purchased an alloy frame recently and it was 25% off so I assume they’re either replacing or redesigning the evo.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 7:17 Quote
Hey guys just ordered a 27.5 carbon EVO frame. Couple questions for you:

1: My fork is 44mm offset, is the steering ok with that offset at speed? Planning on swapping uppers but want to ride it when she comes.
2. What weight spring are people running? S3 comes with 550#, I weigh 195# so may grab a 600 & 650 for experimenting.
3. Anyone happen to know the rear brake line length for an S3? Worried mine is a little short since the bike it's coming off has a 451mm reach and short stays.

Super stoked for this bike! I had a 2012 Evo for a long time and it was my favorite bike.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 22:47 Quote
streetfighter848 wrote:
eplanajr wrote:
Darkysh wrote:
Hi guys, quick update. Link arrived, will mount it later today. Any of you who have the original DPX2 air shock, have you changed the spacers inside? For me personally, to adjust the compression of the shock, I removed the 2 negative air chamber spacers and replaced the positive air chamber with the biggest spacer. Any has a suggestion on the spacer layout? Smile

I got rid of my DPX2. Went with a DVO Topaz T3 custom valved by DVO for my setup. The bike tracks so much better with this setup.

FWIW it's a 210x55 for a 160mm rear travel paired with a 160mm (44mm offset) Lyrik/Yari

DVO Topaz T3 210x55

Cascade Components Stumpjumpet Link

I'm just about to get my Evo 275. Is yours 29 or 275? I'm curious if you ran the DPX2 with the Cascade link. If you did, did you notice an improvement, or did you already have the Topaz on when you put the link in?

Mine is a 29.

I had the link in my regular stumpjumper with a DPS 210x50 and then a DPS 210x55. The calving on those shocks were different than the Specialized low compression tunes. They worked OK but it took a lot of pressure to get it riding ok without blowing through the travel.

On my Evo, I put that link in it as well.
I never ran it with the DPX2 because of the pressure required with the Cascade link. I got the Topaz relalved/Topaz shimmed for me and my style. I dig the setup a lot.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 22:50 Quote
crytz347 wrote:
I purchased an alloy frame recently and it was 25% off so I assume they’re either replacing or redesigning the evo.

I would guess the Evo is a limited run bike. Especially now that the Status is out.

I also got mine at 25% off. Bought from "Mike's Bikes" in California. It was shipped to my home directly from Specialized.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 17:02 Quote
eplanajr wrote:
streetfighter848 wrote:
eplanajr wrote:

I got rid of my DPX2. Went with a DVO Topaz T3 custom valved by DVO for my setup. The bike tracks so much better with this setup.

FWIW it's a 210x55 for a 160mm rear travel paired with a 160mm (44mm offset) Lyrik/Yari

DVO Topaz T3 210x55

Cascade Components Stumpjumpet Link

I'm just about to get my Evo 275. Is yours 29 or 275? I'm curious if you ran the DPX2 with the Cascade link. If you did, did you notice an improvement, or did you already have the Topaz on when you put the link in?

Mine is a 29.

I had the link in my regular stumpjumper with a DPS 210x50 and then a DPS 210x55. The calving on those shocks were different than the Specialized low compression tunes. They worked OK but it took a lot of pressure to get it riding ok without blowing through the travel.

On my Evo, I put that link in it as well.
I never ran it with the DPX2 because of the pressure required with the Cascade link. I got the Topaz relalved/Topaz shimmed for me and my style. I dig the setup a lot.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused, I thought the link made the suspension more progressive. Wouldn't that require less pressure, since it won't bottom out as easy?

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 3:28 Quote
The link changes the leverage ratio, it means that you run a higher spring rate (either more air or a heavier coil) and you still have good small bump sensitivity but with the higher spring rate you are less likley to bottom out the shock. For reference without the cascade link I was running a 450lb spring and with the cascade link I had to move to a 500lbs spring.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
slow66 wrote:
The link changes the leverage ratio, it means that you run a higher spring rate (either more air or a heavier coil) and you still have good small bump sensitivity but with the higher spring rate you are less likley to bottom out the shock. For reference without the cascade link I was running a 450lb spring and with the cascade link I had to move to a 500lbs spring.

Ah, I see. That makes a lot of sense now. Thank you for clarifying!

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 13:52 Quote
Anyone run the Ohlins TTX air shock on the evo? I'm thinking the coil DHX2 is just too linear for the evo, hoping that a air shock makes it a bit more supportive when in the last 3rd or so of travel. Also I have the option of the 50mm or the 52.5mm, I run a cascade link so I think it bumps the travel to 153mm which would be good as i run a 160mm fork. I take it there is no issues with clearance with the longer stroke, both shocks are 210mm overall.

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 20:42 Quote
There's been some Ohlins interference issues discussed on this thread and MTBR.

https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2019-stumpjumper-evo-thread-1077199.html

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 21:51 Quote
Has anyone tried the MRP Hazzard on this frame? I'm not certain if it will even fit, even though MRP offers a 210x55 version.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 10:33 Quote
What are peoples opinions on the Cascade link vs an MRP progressive spring?
You could go with an SLS spring with a the link and save a bunch of weight but at a hefty cost vs just the cost of a progressive spring.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 6:04 Quote
skierdud89 wrote:
What are peoples opinions on the Cascade link vs an MRP progressive spring?
You could go with an SLS spring with a the link and save a bunch of weight but at a hefty cost vs just the cost of a progressive spring.

I’d go with the link and SLS spring. Not so much for the weight savings, but I have yet to see a progressive wound spring that matches the claimed spring rate. There seems to be a lot of spring rate variance from spring to spring even though they are rated the same - sometimes off by double digit lbs.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 8:56 Quote
Paradan09 wrote:
I’d go with the link and SLS spring. Not so much for the weight savings, but I have yet to see a progressive wound spring that matches the claimed spring rate. There seems to be a lot of spring rate variance from spring to spring even though they are rated the same - sometimes off by double digit lbs.

That's the way I'm leaning. Also because I'm 205+ lbs with kit so that calls for a 650 spring (mind you my frame is still in the mail I'm just doing the prep work) and the progressive springs don't technically go that high. MRPs 600+ says it acts like a 550 @ 25% sag and the Cane Creek just says 550-670. Thinking the link could be an easier long term solution.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
I run the cascade link and have had to change to a 550lb spring now, I weigh 150lbs. Was running the 500lb but it doesnt offer the support I need when doing fast dh trails, was good on steeper/slower enduro trails though. I think if you're 200lbs you're going to need a much bigger spring. The design of the Evo is just mental linear, the cascade link just changes the leverage so its still far too linear, I think the bike would be better with a air shock but I'm reluctant to swap out the dhx2 as its a top end shock.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
hello guys, so quick question.

i have found the Stumpjumper EVO 29 at an attractive price down here in chile. seems like a good candidate for an andes pacifico rig.
in order to do that im guessing that the minimum changes would be:
-DHX2 spacer removal to have 55mm stroke
-fox 36 air chamber change for 160mm.

would that be enough? considering that Andes Pacifico are 5 days of alpine enduro racing. maybe im only considering travel instead of comfort?

will the frame be able to handle that abuse? (coming from an enduro and a levo).

Also if you guys have run the dropper slammed to the frame (evo pro), im kind of short legged.

Thanks for any suggestions

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009996
Mobile Version of Website