2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 17:56 Quote
Good move , should be much more forgiving , I thought mine was quite harsh til I took out the spacer

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
So I demoed the alu evo 29 s3 down in Moab over the weekend. Generally I liked it tho the rear shock was trash. My experience echos Vital's feedback as it felt like less rear travel and very spiky without enough rebound damping to slow down the return after it spikes in the second half of the travel. Rebound was maxed out.

Climbing was great with the DPX2 tho. With the climb switch on it rode high and efficient while still allowing enough movement to track the ground well. So I was happy with the climbing just not the descending, which is counter-intuitive for this bike, right?! At 6'1" I'd run a longer than stock stem to get the fit a little more dialed and also help keep weight over the front.

Anyway, not a deal breaker I'd just plan to drop in a smaller volume reducer and it sounds like that's helped other riders.

Question - is there an easy way to increase the DPX2 stroke to 52.5? For me there's no need to go full 55mm by removing the spacer but I think a small travel bump would be nice (which would also require removing the spacer and then.....?). And I'd match that to a 160mm up front and run in the high setting. BTW I ran it in the high setting over rocky terrain and pedal strikes weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. I guess there's something to 170mm cranks even tho I've been on 175 for decades and 170 still feels a little wonky.

So my short list is now EVO (alu comp), Sentinel (nx carbon), Fugitive LT (custom build). Thoughts?

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
All pretty good choices. If it matters in the decision, Transition is having a sale on the carbon Sentinel NX - $3499

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 15:10 Quote
the spacer is a 5mm bushing that goes over the damper shaft. So if you cut that in half you would have 52.5mm stroke. Take note it means complete disassembly of the shock. However a guy I know taped the shaft up, then carefully removed it with a dremel and cleaned the shock body out thoroughly.

IMO the DPX2 on these isn't very good, particularly if you are a heavier rider. The rebound tune just can't go slow enough for big fellas resulting in a skittish ride.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 15:37 Quote
@brasher

So I thought removing that spacer would bump stroke from 50 to 55 right? Which for the 29er would put travel in the ~155mm range, per all the comments on the mtbr thread and my maths. I want to keep rear travel below 150 so the 52.5 should give me about 147.

I'd consider selling the stock shock and just getting a 210 x 52.5 Topaz as I know that shock well and love it, though I wish it had the same climb setting as the dpx2. I want the best of both those shocks.

I wonder if a custom tune on the dpx2 could remedy the rebound issue as I'm just over 200 lbs. I had no issues with the dpx2 on my Sentinel demos.

@kwapik

That's a good price on the tranny. I can make all 3 bikes work w/in my budget (if my bike ever sells, that is) so it's more about which one I want to commit to for the next few years. I've now demoed the evo and tranny but it's harder to find a fugitive. The tranny was better than the evo out of the box but I'm excusing the evo's poor dh manners because of the shock issues.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 18:19 Quote
Correct removing the spacer makes it 55mm stroke, at your weight I would look at the topaz if you know it well. A custom tune could work on the dpx2 however but it’s still a relatively simple shock in the end. Factor in spacer removal and tuning and that’s a chunk of change. Or sell the dpx2 and put it towards the DVO.

I’m trying to get a hold of a 210x55 X2 to confirm fitment. That is the shock I think would work best on these bikes.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
X2 would be mint. How’s the CC treating you?

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 19:43 Quote
great now that I have it tuned right. The only gripe with the CC is the range of adjustment is so huge it can take a while to hit that sweet spot, and for a novice to tuning suspension could easily make it perform worse than what they came from. It's taken me a long time to get this shock just right, but now that I have.... boy is it good!

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
Anyone got any news on the Alloy 2020? No 2019s available around these parts.

Posted: May 11, 2019 at 21:54 Quote
Rode some park yesterday, this is when the evo shines. Man I love this bike. Capable as a DH rig but way more fun

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 12:37 Quote
Hello guys im going to get a 27.5 stumpy evo alloy, I want more travel on the rear can I just buy a dhx2 with 57m of stroke for what I believe to be 163mm of travel? I would also put the 170mm orange fox factory and halo vortex wheels on there with a set of saint brakes. Believe it should work anyone see any problems?

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 15:11 Quote
Don’t know of any 210x57 stroke shocks out there besides the CC Coil with the spacer remover. But there are plenty of 210x55 air shocks. That gives 154mm travel.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 17:07 Quote
Brasher wrote:
Don’t know of any 210x57 stroke shocks out there besides the CC Coil with the spacer remover. But there are plenty of 210x55 air shocks. That gives 154mm travel.
So would 154mm be the most travel I could get or can I get more on the rear in any way? Could I use a 5mm ofset bushing to get a 215x57 shock in there?

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 18:32 Quote
You can use a 216x57 with an 3mm offset bushing in the top mount and the bike in high mode. This gives 211mm eye to eye.

The issue is the offset bushings can rotate screwing the geo and possibly hitting the yoke on the frame.

I’m running a 210x55 cane creek Db air at the moment testing for them and I can’t tell the difference in 2mm Of stroke. This air shock actually really impressed me. I think I prefer it to the IL coil now I have it dialled in. Small bump is almost just as good as the coil with the ramp up at the end of stroke that air gives. I’d actually recommend it highly.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 0:28 Quote
Brasher wrote:
You can use a 216x57 with an 3mm offset bushing in the top mount and the bike in high mode. This gives 211mm eye to eye.

The issue is the offset bushings can rotate screwing the geo and possibly hitting the yoke on the frame.

I’m running a 210x55 cane creek Db air at the moment testing for them and I can’t tell the difference in 2mm Of stroke. This air shock actually really impressed me. I think I prefer it to the IL coil now I have it dialled in. Small bump is almost just as good as the coil with the ramp up at the end of stroke that air gives. I’d actually recommend it highly.
Thanks for your help I might look down that route of a 55mm stroke shock then but for me coil is the one to go for.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.012780
Mobile Version of Website