2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 14:20 Quote
Bloody heck that’s a monster truck! Nice setup man!

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 17:03 Quote
NotNamed wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
WolfpackFBNS wrote:

Mine also lasted about exactly one year. I hope this was just a bad set of seals they used and not a common issue needing yearly replacement. I know seals wear out eventually but they should be able to last longer than 1 year. I've had forks and shocks last years without any service/replacement and no leaking issues. I was being lazy with those bikes but still, I expect better.

no offense but you should expect any shock to need some sort of servicing on a yearly basis.

All my coil shocks held up 2+ years everytime.

Thats just lazy qualitiy Management on FOXs side

it's more to do with the yoke putting side load on the shock, wouldn't matter who the manufacturer is.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 17:33 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
Forgot to add I don’t race, I couldn’t give a shit about Strava but I like to mess about/jib / pop off things. Had a mega 160 before and it just plowed- didn’t like it. Prefer feedback and pop

I know you asked about the 27.5, I have an alloy 29 so it’s slightly bigger. Read anywhere and you’ll see it’s a linear suspension design so plan on tuning the shock or changing the link to make it more progressive because stock will not give you much feedback. After I figured out the tune it’s quite poppy and can handle anything singletrack or bike parks. Bike is a mix of raceface alloy/ gx components and it weighs 32 pounds.

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 18:25 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
Evening Evo riders,

Looking for an honest user long test review on the 2019/20 evo 27.5

Sales are on and frames going cheap. Really tempted !

Short background, been on a transition scout 140front 125 rear 27.5 for 5 years. After owning every bike from xc to dh I have settled on trail ‘less is more ‘ bikes for do it all (my level).

I like to pedal as well as rip downs , as a do it all bike are people happy with it? Does it feel sluggish on flat trails where you have to work it for speed? Also what typical trail weights with sensible components have people got it to?

Really appreciate any help
Loving mine. It's poppy when you want it to be and planted if you aren't intentionally trying to leave the ground IMO. My only real complaint is the BB being stupid low. You can "ride around" that problem uphill but if you like to sprint downhill use caution! I've had a few super close calls and one pretty high speed OTB from doing that. On the plus side the 27.5 frame fits 29s so its technically 2 bikes in one. So should I grow tired of smashing pedals I'll just swap wheels and fork and be good.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 21:47 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
Evening Evo riders,

Looking for an honest user long test review on the 2019/20 evo 27.5

Sales are on and frames going cheap. Really tempted !

Short background, been on a transition scout 140front 125 rear 27.5 for 5 years. After owning every bike from xc to dh I have settled on trail ‘less is more ‘ bikes for do it all (my level).

I like to pedal as well as rip downs , as a do it all bike are people happy with it? Does it feel sluggish on flat trails where you have to work it for speed? Also what typical trail weights with sensible components have people got it to?

Really appreciate any help

From what i seem to be reading the bike is also very different based on rider weight. If ur heaver be prepared to get ur shock tuned and re valved, if ur lighter shouldnt be a problem. I called my local suspension shop (im about 150lbs) and asked if i should get it tuned, they said at my weight its a good tune. Otherwise as other have mentioned u may want to get the cascade link to get the desired suspension feel.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 22:18 Quote
Guys thank you so much for your honest reviews. Seems one hell of a bike. Trying to find somewhere to demo one !

Thanks again

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 23:40 Quote
doxey91 wrote:
jamesdippy wrote:
Thanks doxey, they look so good.

Does it feel poppy or just straight out plow?

Poppy especially with the air shock. I always seem to find somewhere to leave the ground. I'm running 180mm fork and 55mm stroke shock so it plows a bit more than when it was standard but I love it so much.

Jebus! Are you really running a 180mm fork? What kind of HTA are you seeing with that? I know that's well past the Specialized recommended front travel (160mm). How does it handle and have you had issues?

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 at 23:44 Quote
jamesdippy wrote:
Guys thank you so much for your honest reviews. Seems one hell of a bike. Trying to find somewhere to demo one !

Thanks again

I'm running a Cascade link with a CCDB Air Inline. I'm on the heavier side and those changes really helped the rear end come alive. I do have a 2017 YT Jeffsy and to be honest the YT is quite a bit more poppy and playful (with stock shock) than the Evo. However, the Evo can plow through stuff and is incredibly stable at high speed.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 1:20 Quote
streetfighter848 wrote:
doxey91 wrote:
jamesdippy wrote:
Thanks doxey, they look so good.

Does it feel poppy or just straight out plow?

Poppy especially with the air shock. I always seem to find somewhere to leave the ground. I'm running 180mm fork and 55mm stroke shock so it plows a bit more than when it was standard but I love it so much.

Jebus! Are you really running a 180mm fork? What kind of HTA are you seeing with that? I know that's well past the Specialized recommended front travel (160mm). How does it handle and have you had issues?

No issues just fast as f*ck. It's 63° in high 62.5 in low. I was riding it in the high position but gonna give low a try again. I figured if it felt to slack I'd just run more sag, so the actual difference when riding is only 6mm between 150 and 180 at 20% sag so not to crazy really. Also the fork hight on the 27.5 is a lot lower than the 29 so the hight of the front is now similar to a 29 fork with 160-170mm.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 2:42 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
NotNamed wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

no offense but you should expect any shock to need some sort of servicing on a yearly basis.

All my coil shocks held up 2+ years everytime.

Thats just lazy qualitiy Management on FOXs side

good for you but you should really take better care of your suspension.

If it works flawlessly I dont think spending 120-150€ is worth it.

When I sense that it isnt performing that good- I'll service it.

My Fox Van R worked for 3 years without service flawlessly for expample :-)

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 10:31 Quote
First ride withe the Mara Pro and I'm in love! Bike felt 90% with the DHX2 but now it feels like a full 100%. When I swap the wheels to 29 I'm definitely getting the Mezzer to match.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
doxey91 wrote:
streetfighter848 wrote:
doxey91 wrote:

No issues just fast as f*ck. It's 63° in high 62.5 in low. I was riding it in the high position but gonna give low a try again. I figured if it felt to slack I'd just run more sag, so the actual difference when riding is only 6mm between 150 and 180 at 20% sag so not to crazy really. Also the fork hight on the 27.5 is a lot lower than the 29 so the hight of the front is now similar to a 29 fork with 160-170mm.

Thanks, that's great to know. I'm considering running my fork at 170mm. That'll balance out the 167mm rear too. I'm too concerned running it in the low just because in high I'm already getting too many pedal strikes. Then again, I should really look into a 165 or even 160mm cranks. The 170 is a smidge too long for this low bottom bracket.

Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
skierdud89 wrote:
First ride withe the Mara Pro and I'm in love! Bike felt 90% with the DHX2 but now it feels like a full 100%. When I swap the wheels to 29 I'm definitely getting the Mezzer to match.

Sweet, good to know other rear shock options.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
Hey guys, new here. Just got a great deal on a S3 Evo alloy 27.5 frame, going to be building it up with parts from my 160mm Nukeproof Scout custom. I’ve been reading up a bunch on converting the rear to 160mm, and just general rear tuning stuff. This thread is a goldmine.

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a shock that will give a really lively and poppy feel with good bottom out resistance. My local loop is relatively smooth singletrack with some decent rocky sections, with lots of kickers I like to blast onto moderately rough landings, so that’s what I’m trying to optimize.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 16:38 Quote
jakawil wrote:
Hey guys, new here. Just got a great deal on a S3 Evo alloy 27.5 frame, going to be building it up with parts from my 160mm Nukeproof Scout custom. I’ve been reading up a bunch on converting the rear to 160mm, and just general rear tuning stuff. This thread is a goldmine.

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a shock that will give a really lively and poppy feel with good bottom out resistance. My local loop is relatively smooth singletrack with some decent rocky sections, with lots of kickers I like to blast onto moderately rough landings, so that’s what I’m trying to optimize.

Super Deluxe Ultimate with MegNeg air can. Make sure and get the Stumpjumper tune. Also I strongly recommend a Cascade link. This setup will probably be the poppies and most supportive you are going to be able to get on this bike. With a Cascade Link and 55mm stroke shock you will be able to get about 160mm of travel in the rear.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013605
Mobile Version of Website