2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
| Next Page
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 18:17 Quote
jakawil wrote:
Hey guys, new here. Just got a great deal on a S3 Evo alloy 27.5 frame, going to be building it up with parts from my 160mm Nukeproof Scout custom. I’ve been reading up a bunch on converting the rear to 160mm, and just general rear tuning stuff. This thread is a goldmine.

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a shock that will give a really lively and poppy feel with good bottom out resistance. My local loop is relatively smooth singletrack with some decent rocky sections, with lots of kickers I like to blast onto moderately rough landings, so that’s what I’m trying to optimize.
Only shocks I have experience with on this frame are the dpx2, dhx2, and a topaz. I’ve had the best luck with the topaz for my riding style, riding weight is about 210. Shock rides well and has good bottom out support, I haven’t invested in the cascade quite yet, but I’m sure it would improve the setup.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
crytz347 wrote:
jakawil wrote:
Hey guys, new here. Just got a great deal on a S3 Evo alloy 27.5 frame, going to be building it up with parts from my 160mm Nukeproof Scout custom. I’ve been reading up a bunch on converting the rear to 160mm, and just general rear tuning stuff. This thread is a goldmine.

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a shock that will give a really lively and poppy feel with good bottom out resistance. My local loop is relatively smooth singletrack with some decent rocky sections, with lots of kickers I like to blast onto moderately rough landings, so that’s what I’m trying to optimize.
Only shocks I have experience with on this frame are the dpx2, dhx2, and a topaz. I’ve had the best luck with the topaz for my riding style, riding weight is about 210. Shock rides well and has good bottom out support, I haven’t invested in the cascade quite yet, but I’m sure it would improve the setup.

I’m pretty new to custom suspension, still trying to wrap my head around everything. So say you rode your bike, same trail, back to back with those 3 shocks. How would your bike behave differently, and how would your riding change?

Coincidentally, the DHX2 and Topaz with Cascade were 2 options I’ve been reading up on just now.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 23:05 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:
jakawil wrote:

Super Deluxe Ultimate with MegNeg air can. Make sure and get the Stumpjumper tune. Also I strongly recommend a Cascade link. This setup will probably be the poppies and most supportive you are going to be able to get on this bike. With a Cascade Link and 55mm stroke shock you will be able to get about 160mm of travel in the rear.

Cascade claims 160mm travel with the stock 52.5mm stroke. I believe it's 167mm with a 55mm stroke shock.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 23:10 Quote
jakawil wrote:
crytz347 wrote:
jakawil wrote:

I’m pretty new to custom suspension, still trying to wrap my head around everything. So say you rode your bike, same trail, back to back with those 3 shocks. How would your bike behave differently, and how would your riding change?

Coincidentally, the DHX2 and Topaz with Cascade were 2 options I’ve been reading up on just now.

I know for me, the stock DPX2 was quite a bit less lively than the CCDB Air Inline I'm running now. With so many adjustments, I was able to get it to feel poppy while still being really plush through rough trails. I've had experience with DVO on other bikes, and they are a step up from stock Fox or Rockshox, so I would not doubt that it will perform better than the DPX2, especially with the Cascade link.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 3:15 Quote
streetfighter848 wrote:
Super Deluxe Ultimate with MegNeg air can. Make sure and get the Stumpjumper tune. Also I strongly recommend a Cascade link.

Also the Ohlins TTX22 Air Stumpjumper version, 210x55 along with Cascadelink delivers tons of traction compared to stock setup, more pop, no bottom out on every obstacle and the rest riding qualities remained the same as before. Additionally I get a feeling of a tad more efficient climbing.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 3:40 Quote
jakawil wrote:
crytz347 wrote:
jakawil wrote:

Im on an EXT Stories tuned for the CC link. .

I think a good tuned coil shock with the CC link is lively but really adds traction on rooty or rocky sections.

I have the normal Stumpjumper but the traction is insane for 140mm.

Without the CC link I had bottom outs- but not with the CC link installed.

I would advise for a CCDB Cool/Air and the CC link as I felt the CC shocks are really good to set up for your liking.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 5:10 Quote
jakawil wrote:
crytz347 wrote:
jakawil wrote:

It’s quite a bit to get into and like you I’m always learning more about the tuning aspect of it haha. The biggest difference I notice between the two air shocks is the topaz is more adjustable, so it can be tuned for better mid stroke and bottom out support. The coil is great but without the cc link, you either have to over spring it to get the support or you blow thru the travel.

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 11:00 Quote
Thought I would share a littel clip out riding the Surrey Hills in england on my Mulleted Stumpy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlbG6fpYjPc

Posted: Oct 19, 2020 at 14:53 Quote
I am on a 2020 29er setup with a 160 Lyrik and 210x55 DVO Topaz T3 (160mm rear travel). Also running the cascade linkage. The bike is 100% better without the DPX2.

It's not the 180mm monster truck that the other guy posted, but it can plow and climbs just fine. One of the local bike shop owners calls my bike the "Stump-duro" LOL...

I bought my frame from Mike's Bikes and built it up myself. I love it.

Where I live we have to earn our turns, so having a decent pedaling bike is a must have.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Hi,

Unsure if this has been asked and answered already but:

I have just purchased a 2020 stumpy evo 27.5 carbon frame in S2 - I need to get a new dropper as the one from my old frame won’t fit - after reading a few reviews I’m thinking the PNW Bachelor as it is within the little budget I have left after buying the frame set .

Will the frame fit a 170mm dropper or should I get the 150mm one?

Thanks for the help.

eddyhairshow wrote:
Hi,

Unsure if this has been asked and answered already but:

I have just purchased a 2020 stumpy evo 27.5 carbon frame in S2 - I need to get a new dropper as the one from my old frame won’t fit - after reading a few reviews I’m thinking the PNW Bachelor as it is within the little budget I have left after buying the frame set .

Will the frame fit a 170mm dropper or should I get the 150mm one?

Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately these frames don't allow for very much seat tube insertion so it depends on your saddle height. I bought a 200, that I still need to return, that stuck out 3/4" too much Madder had to go with a 180 instead. If you're ok with dealing with returns just order it and find out otherwise you'll have to do some math.

I’m riding an aluminum s3 29er so I’m not sure if it has the same seat post insertion as carbon frames. I can slam a 210mm OneUp dropper to the seat collar on this bike. The OneUp has the lowest stack height of any dropper that I’m aware of.

WalrusRider wrote:
I’m riding an aluminum s3 29er so I’m not sure if it has the same seat post insertion as carbon frames. I can slam a 210mm OneUp dropper to the seat collar on this bike. The OneUp has the lowest stack height of any dropper that I’m aware of.
Hmm maybe it IS different? The 200 I tried is a PNW Bachlor that came about 1.5" from the collar. S3 27.5 Carbon.

Same with me, I have a 210mm one up slammed in a s3 29er

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006713
Mobile Version of Website