2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
jakawil wrote:

Not at all, this bike fits/rides perfectly for me. I was in a similar boat as you early this winter - wait till at least spring (probably longer) for one of the numerous 2021 bike models I was considering. Or jump on a new 2019 Evo frame from Specialized discounted at $1200-something.

But since I already had 90% of the parts to build it up it was a no brainer, I would have went with the discounted 2019 frame even if the 2021s were in stock.

WalrusRider wrote:
I'm riding a 2019 aluminum Evo with cascade link and will get the new Evo when they are available in my area. The main reason I want the new one is for the SWAT storage and lighter carbon frame since I'm on an aluminum frame. I'm not in a huge rush to replace my current Evo though. It rides so well that it doesn't bother me knowing I may not be able to find a 2021/22 carbon Evo for another 6-12 months. I'll get it eventually. As long as you have a decent bike to ride at the moment I'd hold out for a new one.

streetfighter848 wrote:
I have the 2020 275 with Cascade link and 5mm longer shock (167mm rear) and 160mm front. Absolutely rails on the downhills. I run a CCDB Inline Air shock and it climbs fairly well. The stock DPX2 was a little too tricky to dial in, at least for my weight (200+ lbs).

Appreciate the insight. I've been reading that we won't see anymore 2021's, but that could be fake news. LOL Book

Found some 2020 Carbon Evo Pro's marked down to $4,500 new. May just pick one up, run it w/ the Cascade Link and call it a day for the time being. Would be a drastic improvement over my 2014 Kona Process 153 I'm guessing.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 17:49 Quote
Finally got it together, thought I would try out some tan walls just to see what it looked like. Meh....

Will go back to my winter 2.5/2.4 Shorty/DHR combo. Will be honest, not a huge fan of how the 2.6's feel on this frame.

Cane Creek progressive spring on the Ohlins, feels real nice, definitely a change from the DHX2.

Took some crappy night time pics. lol

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 21:08 Quote
Squirrel-155 wrote:
Had a deposit in on a 2021 until my LBS sold my bike to someone else on accident..... Evil

I'm seeing some decent deals on left over 2020's out there. Any of you 2018-2020 Evo owners feeling like you're missing out not having a 2021?

Not really. My 2020 absolutely slays. I am running with a 160mm Lyrik and a 210x55 DVO Topaz T3 with A Cascade Components link. It's a Stumpduro of sorts...

I would only change to get a different experience (I like those Privateer 161). I seem to be more a d more interested in smaller bike companies. No plans to sell it though.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 22:28 Quote
Simann wrote:
Finally got it together, thought I would try out some tan walls just to see what it looked like. Meh....

Will go back to my winter 2.5/2.4 Shorty/DHR combo. Will be honest, not a huge fan of how the 2.6's feel on this frame.

Cane Creek progressive spring on the Ohlins, feels real nice, definitely a change from the DHX2.

Took some crappy night time pics. lol

How do you like the Ohlins shock and fork?

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 2:33 Quote
Loving my 2020 evo pro Beer
Need one of those cane creek springs...

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 16:45 Quote
streetfighter848 wrote:

Not an Ohlins fork, its the Cane Creek Helm MK2 Smile

I'm going to buy a CC Kitsuma Coil shock here in a few weeks, would really like to keep the same damper characteristics F/R. I just scored this "used" Ohlins TTX22M on the super cheap.

Looking to hit the trails tomorrow since we have some warmer weather this weekend. Just putting around the neighborhood, the rear shock feels a lot more "damped" than the DXH2. But moreover, I like the idea of having a much beefier shock shaft and seal head as i'm a heavier rider at 74" tall and 215-220 with gear.

Changed out the tires to my tried and true Assegai 29x2.5 and DHR 2.5. I also took off the Wolfe Tooth chainring and put on my Absolute Black chainring tonight. Monday I get my TENET bar and stem, their pedals are on backorder until another few months.

Build:
2020 Stumpjumper EVO PRO 29 size S3
Cane Creek Helm MK2 160mm
Ohlins TTX22M with Cane Creek VALT Progressive spring

XT 165mm cranks
XT rear derailleur
XTR shifter
Kona Wah Wah II pedals
Shimano PRO crank boots (not pictured)

Stans FLOW EX3 rim on Industry Nine 1/1 hubs, DT swiss spokes

Code RSC brakes
TRP two piece rotors
Titanium rotor bolts

Bike Yoke MAX 160mm dropper
Wolf Tooth dropper lever in platinum

Ergon saddle

One Up 35mm rise carbon bar uncut at 800mm wide
Race Face stem (40mm)

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 3:21 Quote
Simann wrote:
streetfighter848 wrote:

Not an Ohlins fork, its the Cane Creek Helm MK2 Smile

I'm going to buy a CC Kitsuma Coil shock here in a few weeks, would really like to keep the same damper characteristics F/R. I just scored this "used" Ohlins TTX22M on the super cheap.

Looking to hit the trails tomorrow since we have some warmer weather this weekend. Just putting around the neighborhood, the rear shock feels a lot more "damped" than the DXH2. But moreover, I like the idea of having a much beefier shock shaft and seal head as i'm a heavier rider at 74" tall and 215-220 with gear.

Changed out the tires to my tried and true Assegai 29x2.5 and DHR 2.5. I also took off the Wolfe Tooth chainring and put on my Absolute Black chainring tonight. Monday I get my TENET bar and stem, their pedals are on backorder until another few months.

Build:
2020 Stumpjumper EVO PRO 29 size S3
Cane Creek Helm MK2 160mm
Ohlins TTX22M with Cane Creek VALT Progressive spring

XT 165mm cranks
XT rear derailleur
XTR shifter
Kona Wah Wah II pedals
Shimano PRO crank boots (not pictured)

Stans FLOW EX3 rim on Industry Nine 1/1 hubs, DT swiss spokes

Code RSC brakes
TRP two piece rotors
Titanium rotor bolts

Bike Yoke MAX 160mm dropper
Wolf Tooth dropper lever in platinum

Ergon saddle

One Up 35mm rise carbon bar uncut at 800mm wide
Race Face stem (40mm)

Ah, I see. I thought this was the Ohlins Specialized build that is on sale right now, which is why I was curious about the suspension performance.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 7:20 Quote
That's just the regular Stumpjumper PRO Ohlin's edition, not an EVO frame.

Still is an excellent bike, but I was not a fan of its high speed handling, the HTA was too steep and got really "excited" over high speed obstacles. Though, my experience was on a rental carbon Comp model with a 34 Rhythm, those forks get overwhelmed pretty easily...maybe the Ohlins fork with H/L speed compression/rebound would be able to minimize it?

I can say the EVO is so much more of a fun bike, more stable, definitely more confident on the steeps.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 21:44 Quote
Hey Simann,
What percent/amount of sag are you running with that spring? If I'm not mistaken it looks like it says 550/670. And are you running the stock link, or a Cascade?

I've been curious about going coil on this bike, and we're pretty close in weight, but I typically prefer relatively progressive feeling suspension and am currently running a Tractive tuned super deluxe air with the stock link which I'm pretty damn happy with,but I'd like to get your thoughts on the coil.

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 24, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
Tayrob wrote:
Hey Simann,
What percent/amount of sag are you running with that spring? If I'm not mistaken it looks like it says 550/670. And are you running the stock link, or a Cascade?

I've been curious about going coil on this bike, and we're pretty close in weight, but I typically prefer relatively progressive feeling suspension and am currently running a Tractive tuned super deluxe air with the stock link which I'm pretty damn happy with, but I'd like to get your thoughts on the coil.

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: I'm no free riding, gap jumping, huck to flat guy anymore, I'm almost 40 with two kids and a sizeable mortgage, so I can't risk those types of injuries anymore LOL Beer . But I do still enjoy ripping fast downhill and hitting berms as fast as I can, so my review will reflect more of the latter type of riding.

I will say it again, coil > air shock any day in traction and suppleness. There is simply no way you can make an air can feel as sensitive. Now, the Fox X2 comes in really damn close, I've ran a few of those shocks on past bikes (prev Kona Process (x2), Commencal Meta (x2), Niner RIP9.) But unfortunately, for us Stumpjumper EVO guys, that air can is a nats-ass hair away from the frame strut and some have reported the air cans actually contacting the strut.

To your question, I can't get an exact measurement of sag because the coil spring wound is a bit tight on the CC progressive spring. But moving the bump stop up to the shock body like a rubber O-ring on typical air shocks, its close to 1/3 of the shaft length (30-33%). When I cough up the bills for a Cascade link, it definitely will be between the Ohlin's light weight 605 and 640 lb spring.

For pure experimentation sake, I'm going to buy a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate air shock and throw on the MegNeg. I loved the way that shock felt on the Kona Process, huge improvement and each adjustment made a perceptible difference, a lot like the Ohlins TTX. But ultimately, any coil shock package will be much heavier than an air spring shock, by almost 2.0 lbs. per my scale. So for those of us who also enjoy single-track with plenty of climbs, lighter is always better and that's a coil shock Achilles heel.

Yesterday I had no inkling of bottom out on the shock. I can say the CC Progressive spring did its job very well! This EVO is by far is the single smoothest and quietest bike I've ever had. I avoided buying Specialized for quite a few years, mainly as I liked the boutique brands appeal. But frankly, the warranty, build quality, and SWAT storage I simply could not avoid the Stumpy any longer and I'm glad I pulled the trigger on it. It seems to be a goldilocks bike for me, can do the uphill just fine and it absolutely positively rips going downhill! The amount of momentum this bike has when you point it down is just crazy!!!

PS: The new MK2 Cane Creek HELM fork is waaay better than the MK1 I ran on my Process for a month. It definitely is not as stiff as the ZEB Ultimate I had on my Process, but that may be a good thing. Quite frankly, the HELM MK2 feels just like the Lyrik Ultimate 2.1 to me. There is data that shows decreasing fore-aft flex of a fork transfers large vibrations to your arms and hands, increasing fatigue. So the 35mm stanchion HELM (Like the Lyrik) seems to play really well with the Stumpy chassis. I guess the Fox 36 would feel no different, but no doubt a ZEB or Fox 38 would be overkill for this bike. The EVO is not a freeride bike. Its just a hyper aggressive trail bike.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
Squirrel-155 wrote:

Found some 2020 Carbon Evo Pro's marked down to $4,500 new. May just pick one up, run it w/ the Cascade Link and call it a day for the time being. Would be a drastic improvement over my 2014 Kona Process 153 I'm guessing.

Ended up pulling the trigger. Ordered a Cascade link to accompany it as well. Pretty sure this will be a fun bike.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 17:38 Quote
Got the TENET Nora 35 stem and Bodem carbon bars in today. I've got to say, TENET knocked it out of the park with these items. When their pedals are back in sock those are definitely on order!

Absolutely love the no-gap stem face, like Renthal. So much easier to get torque accurate!

*don't mind the steerer tube length, still trying to figure out what stack I prefer. Measure 3x and cut once!*

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 20:31 Quote
Simann wrote:
Got the TENET Nora 35 stem and Bodem carbon bars in today. I've got to say, TENET knocked it out of the park with these items. When their pedals are back in sock those are definitely on order!

Absolutely love the no-gap stem face, like Renthal. So much easier to get torque accurate!

*don't mind the steerer tube length, still trying to figure out what stack I prefer. Measure 3x and cut once!*

Yeah, that stem is a work of art. Nice.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 22:13 Quote
For anyone interested in running a slammed Oneup 210, or any other long post on an S3 Carbon 19/20 SJ Evo:

I thought I would be able to run it around 5mm out for my height, but it bottoms out with 42mm of post left.

Measured max insertion depth is 240mm. This does not include the actuator since the post hits the angled part of the frame first, and the actuator should still clear below 240mm since it's offset from the side of the post.

The internal carbon layup where the suspension pivots are protrude slightly too wide and cause interference. This may be specific to my exact frame so not sure since it looks like it should fit from above.

I originally measured with a shimmed 31.6 post, and this definitely fits fully slammed and clears those nubs from the pivots. The end of the post and actuator will be a piece of paper thickness away from the carbon, but it goes all of the way in.

Debating now if I switch to a 180mm and stay 34.9, or get a 210mm in 31.6 and run shimmed.

Anybody have experience running a shimmed post? The 34.9 seems super solid, so worried about play or creaking with a shim.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 5:12 Quote
mattcooksb wrote:
For anyone interested in running a slammed Oneup 210, or any other long post on an S3 Carbon 19/20 SJ Evo:

I thought I would be able to run it around 5mm out for my height, but it bottoms out with 42mm of post left.

Measured max insertion depth is 240mm. This does not include the actuator since the post hits the angled part of the frame first, and the actuator should still clear below 240mm since it's offset from the side of the post.

The internal carbon layup where the suspension pivots are protrude slightly too wide and cause interference. This may be specific to my exact frame so not sure since it looks like it should fit from above.

I originally measured with a shimmed 31.6 post, and this definitely fits fully slammed and clears those nubs from the pivots. The end of the post and actuator will be a piece of paper thickness away from the carbon, but it goes all of the way in.

Debating now if I switch to a 180mm and stay 34.9, or get a 210mm in 31.6 and run shimmed.

Anybody have experience running a shimmed post? The 34.9 seems super solid, so worried about play or creaking with a shim.

I’ve been running a shimmed 210mm OneUp on my aluminum Evo for several years with no creaking or any other issues. Just make sure to use assembly paste when installing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018683
Mobile Version of Website