2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 5:40 Quote
I'm on a Bike Yoke Revive Max 160, I see no need for a longer dropper on this frame, any more and it looks like butt buzzing would be commonplace with the post slammed.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 20:35 Quote
Anybody here running a Sprindex adjustable rate coil spring? Per Cascades chart I'll need to up my spring rate. Was thinking this would be a good solution to help fine tune the rear end a bit.

https://sprindex.com/collections/frontpage/products/sprindex-coil?variant=31655873216586

Cascade Link: "70% more progressive than stock link"
Sprindex Spring: "The first 80% of the stroke has a linear rate while the last 20% of the stroke has a progressive rate."

I'm wondering how the Sprindex and the Cascade link will play together though. Is this too much progression on progression?

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 19:46 Quote
Squirrel-155 wrote:
Anybody here running a Sprindex adjustable rate coil spring? Per Cascades chart I'll need to up my spring rate. Was thinking this would be a good solution to help fine tune the rear end a bit.

https://sprindex.com/collections/frontpage/products/sprindex-coil?variant=31655873216586

Cascade Link: "70% more progressive than stock link"
Sprindex Spring: "The first 80% of the stroke has a linear rate while the last 20% of the stroke has a progressive rate."

I'm wondering how the Sprindex and the Cascade link will play together though. Is this too much progression on progression?

Decided to give it a try. We'll see how it goes.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 19:46 Quote
Here's my 2020 27.5 s3 build
Mezzer pro at 150
Cascade link
Mara Pro 210x55
Light bicycle rims with onyx hubs
Hayes Dominion a4
Bike yoke revive 160
Pretty generic for the rest of it
photo

Posted: Feb 14, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
For any one that has the satin carbon/mint color way does the color on your look kind of blotchy? Mine does not have a uniform color and when using 3m protective film it kinda of looks like shit.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
kwinn87 wrote:
For any one that has the satin carbon/mint color way does the color on your look kind of blotchy? Mine does not have a uniform color and when using 3m protective film it kinda of looks like shit.

It’s a raw carbon finish

Posted: Feb 14, 2021 at 10:38 Quote
bobman7 wrote:
Mezzer pro at 150
Cascade link
Mara Pro 210x55
Hayes Dominion a4
Bike yoke revive 160

Hey what's the details on the tires you're running on that? There are so many variables to tires I get confused, compounds, etc, and it's one aspect of equipment I'm not too informed on. I think I'm set on a lower TPI though. I like to ask other SJ and EVO riders what they use to help me make a good choice when I decide to put new tires on mine. I'm using the Roval traverse carbon hookless 29 rims.

~JSV

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
kwinn87 wrote:

The '20 SJ EVO has a unidirectional carbon layup with satin finish clear coat. When throwing on a protective film like Ride Wrap, you need to use the matte finish. Gloss finish will not look good at all, frankly, none of it looks good on a satin/raw finish.

Posted: Feb 14, 2021 at 18:35 Quote
Is 44mm offset terrible with Evo’s geo or should I only consider 37mm offset fork?

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2021 at 19:33 Quote
outlawtaco wrote:
Is 44mm offset terrible with Evo’s geo or should I only consider 37mm offset fork?

OE spec was 44mm offset for the EVO 29er. I'm riding a CC Helm Mk2 with 44mm offset, so it performs great!

For the record, typically the lower offsets (sub 44mm) have been reserved for the 27.5" wheel size, as lowering fork offset increases front wheel trail, which increasing trail increases high speed stability. The 29" wheels don't need the extra reduction in offset as the 29" wheel inherently has more trail at any given head tube angle.

I can say with confidence that going from a 44 mm offset Helm on my Kona Process to the 38 mm offset ZEB did make a perceptible difference at speed, but not as much as going from a 27.5 to a 29'' wheel up front. But that difference could also be between the 35mm stanchion Helm to the ZEB's 38 mm stanchions that have nearly 25% more torsional stiffness (Helm vs ZEB).

Posted: Feb 14, 2021 at 21:07 Quote
skierdud89 wrote:
jakawil wrote:
Finally got my S3 alloy 27.5 frame and built it up. First upgrade will be swapping out the Manitou Mattoc for something a bit burlier, but she's ready now for winter

Only got to test pedal it around the block so far, can't wait to hit the trail this weekend -
2020 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo Alloy 27.5 S3 custom build with Manitou Mattoc Pro forks Nukeproof Horizon wheelset Shimano XTR XT 11sp drivetrain Shimano Zee brakes. Rest of parts mismatched from Race Face Wolf Tooth Renthal and Chromag
Just get it's big brother the Mezzer. Mine's coming in the mail today! Big Grin
Or I have a 36 Grip 2 I'll be selling soon lol

Either way I highly suggest a 37mm offset like Specialized specs it. I originally had a 44 offset when I built it up with parts from my old frame and the bike felt super lazy and floppy at low speed (duh) 37mm fixed all that.

Also nice touch on the color accents, just the right amount. Looks good!

I thought with more fork offset, the low speed flop should reduce while losing high speed stability?

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 6:16 Quote
Correct,
-Reducing the offset increases the trail (better high-speed stability).

-Increasing offset decreases trail, improves low speed maneuverability but can negatively impact high speed stability,
especially on 27.5" wheels.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
Simann wrote:
Correct,
-Reducing the offset increases the trail (better high-speed stability).

-Increasing offset decreases trail, improves low speed maneuverability but can negatively impact high speed stability,
especially on 27.5" wheels.

Thanks...time to choose a 37mm fork for my 650b, DVO Diamond D1 is high on that list.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 13:05 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
bobman7 wrote:
Mezzer pro at 150
Cascade link
Mara Pro 210x55
Hayes Dominion a4
Bike yoke revive 160

Hey what's the details on the tires you're running on that? There are so many variables to tires I get confused, compounds, etc, and it's one aspect of equipment I'm not too informed on. I think I'm set on a lower TPI though. I like to ask other SJ and EVO riders what they use to help me make a good choice when I decide to put new tires on mine. I'm using the Roval traverse carbon hookless 29 rims.

~JSV
Butcher blk dmnd on the rear, assegai 120 tpi up front, 2.6 for both if I remember right

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011379
Mobile Version of Website