2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Author Message
Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 18:38 Quote
Cable74 wrote:
Hello,

I am going to swap my parts over to a stumpy evo 29 soon. I'm struggling to decide if I want 150 or 160 up front. The frame has cascade link + over stroke so the rear is about 160. I don't want the front any slacker than it already is (current bike is 65 degrees) but it would be nice to raise the BB a bit and match the rear in travel.

I am hoping yall can give me some input so I can order the airshaft

FWIW the change in HA between the two travels is much more noticeable than the few millimeters you'll gain or lose in BB height. So I'd make HA more of a priority than BB height. 2 cents

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 23:02 Quote
skierdud89 wrote:
Cable74 wrote:
Hello,

I am going to swap my parts over to a stumpy evo 29 soon. I'm struggling to decide if I want 150 or 160 up front. The frame has cascade link + over stroke so the rear is about 160. I don't want the front any slacker than it already is (current bike is 65 degrees) but it would be nice to raise the BB a bit and match the rear in travel.

I am hoping yall can give me some input so I can order the airshaft

FWIW the change in HA between the two travels is much more noticeable than the few millimeters you'll gain or lose in BB height. So I'd make HA more of a priority than BB height. 2 cents

Thanks everyone. I think I’ll stick with the 170 for now and make the decision after a few rides. it seems wrong the have more travel in the back than front but I think it’ll be ok haha

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
On the EVO you have the switchable 3-position adjustment at the HT angle, correct? So if you "added" HT angle due to fork travel increase, couldn't you run the HT adjustment to the steepest setting, and get closer to one of the "slack" settings due to your fork changing the angle?

Just curious..

~JSV

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 10:57 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
On the EVO you have the switchable 3-position adjustment at the HT angle, correct? So if you "added" HT angle due to fork travel increase, couldn't you run the HT adjustment to the steepest setting, and get closer to one of the "slack" settings due to your fork changing the angle?

Just curious..

~JSV

that would be for the 2021 stumpjumper evo...

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 11:05 Quote
OH ok, I forgot that's when they started that option. That's the 2021 I was originally going to get, that's right, and I remember being very impressed with that added to the design.

Well if that's the case the EVO is a great geo design to have a slack HT angle. Of the 3 settings available since the 2021, which angle would YOURS be fixed at, in the middle setting?

~JSV

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 23:53 Quote
For the 275 version is a 160mm 46mm offset fork a definite no no?

Was about to pull the trigger on a frame but not so sure now reading the comments about the handling on a 36mm

I could get hold of a Zebb with 160mm, 38os

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 6:15 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
For the 275 version is a 160mm 46mm offset fork a definite no no?

Was about to pull the trigger on a frame but not so sure now reading the comments about the handling on a 36mm

I could get hold of a Zebb with 160mm, 38os
It's not a "no no" but It's noticeable. I ran a 150 46mm offset fork when I first built it up and the first majority of your steering feels really sluggish and then it gets to a point where it just wants to flop over. Really weird but manageable. Then I put on a 160 37mm offset and it was like "oh wow this is how they meant for the bike to feel".

If it's all you have and plan to upgrade I say sure. But If you don't plan to upgrade then personally I wouldn't do it unless you literally never climb as that's when you really notice the weirdness.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
So even on the 27.5 that 10 or so mm offset is noticeably effecting the ride.

The synergy of these things fascinates me. Just a few mm here-n-there of a couple adaptable things, and these FS bikes feel and respond so differently. You've now inspired me to go and ride my SJ w/the flip-chip in HIGH for a while..

~JSV

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 11:14 Quote
Could that be remedied with a short stem? have a 45 and 35 (actually think its shorter than 35), the 35 on my regular stumpy can be quite twitchy

I guess it wouldnt solve the falling over problem

I do hate slow steering, Ive run 800 bars and hated them for that

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 16:49 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
Could that be remedied with a short stem? have a 45 and 35 (actually think its shorter than 35), the 35 on my regular stumpy can be quite twitchy

I guess it wouldnt solve the falling over problem

I do hate slow steering, Ive run 800 bars and hated them for that
No those are just characteristics of a high offset fork on a slack head angle. I also run a super short stem.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 17:03 Quote
Anyone is running the new cane creek db Kitsuma air in the stumpy evo alloy? Do you know if there are any issues with the fitting?

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 at 4:00 Quote
manelnunez wrote:
Anyone is running the new cane creek db Kitsuma air in the stumpy evo alloy? Do you know if there are any issues with the fitting?
Auto quoting me, the Kitsuma air fits well. In the Evo alloy with cascade link and flip chip in the lower position it has 2-3mm of clearance, fits well.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 0:15 Quote
manelnunez wrote:
Anyone is running the new cane creek db Kitsuma air in the stumpy evo alloy? Do you know if there are any issues with the fitting?

I had the "old" DB Air CS which I'm pretty sure is the same dimensions and it fit fine on my alloy S3, had approx 3mm to the aircan but never touched despite the yolk driven clevis likes to laterally move.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 at 2:47 Quote
Brasher wrote:
manelnunez wrote:
Anyone is running the new cane creek db Kitsuma air in the stumpy evo alloy? Do you know if there are any issues with the fitting?

I had the "old" DB Air CS which I'm pretty sure is the same dimensions and it fit fine on my alloy S3, had approx 3mm to the aircan but never touched despite the yolk driven clevis likes to laterally move.
yes, thanks I have seen your photos after writing the message! I have the kitsuma mounted already!

Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 9:54 Quote
Anybody around 75kg with a cascadelink and the original dpx2 shock? Not sure what volume spacer to start with. Got the original .83 in currently did have the bigger one with the original link but the progression curve felt like a wall not a curve.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007388
Mobile Version of Website