2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 15:05 Quote
Commencal's are not known for their low weight. I've had 4 of them, fantastic performing frames, good looks, but by no means "light."

I will admit, I think the Commencal's suspension has a little more support than the Stumpjumper, even with a progressive link. And I like the fact that there are no clearance issues with running larger air cans or the loading issues of the offset shock design. The only consistent issue I had with my Commencal's was the pivot bolts liked to back out a bit. So make sure you check torque on those every few rides.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 2:36 Quote
Hi guys.
Lately I've become obsessed with idea about making 2 different bikes from my 29 EVO Alloy (still in stock):
1. Get a lighter 150mm fork (Pike select+/ultimate). Add a set of lighter tires - exo front/exo+ rear. And use it for my local trail riding. And may be change rear shock for something lighter.
2. Get separate 160 fork or extend travel of stock rhythm to 160mm. Add a smashpot coil. Get a coil shock with 210x52.5/55 making it 140+/150+ (I forgot exact numbers) in the rear. Add some beefier tires. And use it for bike parks and enduro comps.

What do you think about it?

And one more question about a coil shock in the rear. I'm thinking about EXT Storia or Ohlins TTX22 coil + CC link or Ohlins TTX22 coil + Cane Creek progressive spring. which options is the best for this bike?

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 18:16 Quote
I'd just run a 160mm fork all the time since it helps bring the BB up for trail riding.

Maxing out the travel in the rear also doesn't have any downsides as long as you keep sag the same as with the spacer in. So if you were running 30% sag with a 50mm stroke, run 27% at 55mm. That way you get a little extra bottom out without dragging pedals.

I really like my rear coil setup for trail riding, but air works a lot better for park on this bike even with the Cascade link since you can add some tokens or up the pressure. It just bottoms too easy with the coil on jump lines and bigger drops. I'm 170lbs running a regular 600lb coil for trail (with CC link). Progressive springs are heavy, expensive, and wear out quick.

Just add a second wheelset set up with DH casings and call it good.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 19:02 Quote
A couple of guys on here have run a 29 wheelset on the 27.5 frame because there’s clearance to do so, and I’m pretty sure the bb is higher if you did that (if I’m wrong I’m sure someone will let me know haha) but that might be more convenient for trail riding, possibly less convenient for park stuff depending on how you want your bike to feel

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
I remember reading the 27.5 frame has a lower BB...

I did run a 170mm Lyrik 42mm offset up front when I initially built it up, but recently switched to a 160mm Fox 38 with 44mm offset. The 0.5 degree increase in HTA definitely is noticeable, its a little less "floppy" in low speed switch backs. With the 170, it felt very raked out, which was amazing on high speed machine built trails, but I don't ride those all the time, and the trails with technical switch backs were becoming a bit cumbersome.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 9:00 Quote
crytz347 wrote:
A couple of guys on here have run a 29 wheelset on the 27.5 frame because there’s clearance to do so, and I’m pretty sure the bb is higher if you did that (if I’m wrong I’m sure someone will let me know haha) but that might be more convenient for trail riding, possibly less convenient for park stuff depending on how you want your bike to feel

Yes many have done it. If you look at the geo charts for that year the BB drop on the 27.5 matches the drop of the 29er NON-evo frame. So essentially you end up with a 29er non evo with a slacker head angle. Which based on the great stumpy reviews from those years I'm sure would be super fun to ride!

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 21:50 Quote
plow2ride wrote:
Hi guys.
Lately I've become obsessed with idea about making 2 different bikes from my 29 EVO Alloy (still in stock):
1. Get a lighter 150mm fork (Pike select+/ultimate). Add a set of lighter tires - exo front/exo+ rear. And use it for my local trail riding. And may be change rear shock for something lighter.
2. Get separate 160 fork or extend travel of stock rhythm to 160mm. Add a smashpot coil. Get a coil shock with 210x52.5/55 making it 140+/150+ (I forgot exact numbers) in the rear. Add some beefier tires. And use it for bike parks and enduro comps.

And one more question about a coil shock in the rear. I'm thinking about EXT Storia or Ohlins TTX22 coil + CC link or Ohlins TTX22 coil + Cane Creek progressive spring. which options is the best for this bike?

The EXT Storia tune for these bikes is amazing, I was lucky enough to borrow one for a week while in NZ and it blew me away, heaps better than the Cane Creek coil and Air shock I had on it. Unfortunately I couldn't justify the price at the time.

I converted the Rhythm to coil with a smashpot kit, nothing short of amazing. Do it for sure if you don't mind a bit of extra weight.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 22:17 Quote
Brasher wrote:
plow2ride wrote:
Hi guys.

The EXT Storia tune for these bikes is amazing, I was lucky enough to borrow one for a week while in NZ and it blew me away, heaps better than the Cane Creek coil and Air shock I had on it. Unfortunately I couldn't justify the price at the time.

I converted the Rhythm to coil with a smashpot kit, nothing short of amazing. Do it for sure if you don't mind a bit of extra weight.

Whats the shaft diameter for the EXT Storia? I hear the rear end eats coil shocks alive if they have too narrow of a diameter.

Posted: Jun 19, 2021 at 22:43 Quote
streetfighter848 wrote:
Brasher wrote:
plow2ride wrote:
Hi guys.

Whats the shaft diameter for the EXT Storia? I hear the rear end eats coil shocks alive if they have too narrow of a diameter.

correct, I went through 3 Cane Creek IL coils.

The EXT is thicc! Plus the seal head has lots of overlap, you won't have an issue IMO.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 0:04 Quote
Brasher wrote:
streetfighter848 wrote:
Brasher wrote:

correct, I went through 3 Cane Creek IL coils.

The EXT is thicc! Plus the seal head has lots of overlap, you won't have an issue IMO.

Excellent

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 13:05 Quote
streetfighter848 wrote:
]

Whats the shaft diameter for the EXT Storia?.

14mm for EXT Storia v3 according to specs. It’s 4mm thicker than ohlins which is considered as a safe coil option for SJ EVO

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 14:46 Quote
Hi all, tried to read all of this as just bought a 2019 Alu stumpy evo 27.5.
I have some questions for all you knowledgeable people.
It currently has a fox 36 factory 170mm fork on it with a dhx2 on the rear (that I've just found out isn't the correct shock for the bike as eye to eye and stroke are too big)

A couple of questions, is the 170mm fork too long and should I replace the air spring with a 160mm?
Can the eye to eye and stroke be altered on a dhx2? Is it just a case if changing the shaft length to shorten it back to 210x55?

Cheers

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 16:44 Quote
crytz347 wrote:
Are you able to run 29 wheelset on the 2020 frame too or just the 2019. I got a 2020 evo I would love to try it on

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 19:04 Quote
severniy wrote:
streetfighter848 wrote:
]

Whats the shaft diameter for the EXT Storia?.

14mm for EXT Storia v3 according to specs. It’s 4mm thicker than ohlins which is considered as a safe coil option for SJ EVO

14mm is huge! The Ohlins TTX is a 10mm shaft. If I recall, the DHX2 is a 9mm shaft, and has the weakest seal head on the market (twice yearly rebuilds is almost a must).

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 22:02 Quote
marz bomber CR also has a huge shaft too, I'm running one on my ebike and it's awesome for a cheap shock. Don't forget about them. You can tune them too. Mines been faultless with plenty of sideways landings, I ride the ebike heaps too!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006608
Mobile Version of Website