2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 22:10 Quote
Brasher wrote:
marz bomber CR also has a huge shaft too, I'm running one on my ebike and it's awesome for a cheap shock. Don't forget about them. You can tune them too. Mines been faultless with plenty of sideways landings, I ride the ebike heaps too!

How do you like the Marzocchi? I thought they're just rebranded Fox.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 22:12 Quote
Majortom4 wrote:
Hi all, tried to read all of this as just bought a 2019 Alu stumpy evo 27.5.
I have some questions for all you knowledgeable people.
It currently has a fox 36 factory 170mm fork on it with a dhx2 on the rear (that I've just found out isn't the correct shock for the bike as eye to eye and stroke are too big)

A couple of questions, is the 170mm fork too long and should I replace the air spring with a 160mm?
Can the eye to eye and stroke be altered on a dhx2? Is it just a case if changing the shaft length to shorten it back to 210x55?

Cheers

I have the exact same frame and built it up with 160mm fork. No issues at all. Recently upgraded to DVO Onyx with 170mm. Man, does this thing rip! I honestly don't see any issues. I always run it in the high setting.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 23:58 Quote
streetfighter848 wrote:
Brasher wrote:
marz bomber CR also has a huge shaft too, I'm running one on my ebike and it's awesome for a cheap shock. Don't forget about them. You can tune them too. Mines been faultless with plenty of sideways landings, I ride the ebike heaps too!

How do you like the Marzocchi? I thought they're just rebranded Fox.

It's basically a rebranded Fox VAN RC.

I really rate it, the bike I have it on came with a factory float X2 and in my opinion the Bomber is better, It would be nice to have high speed rebound adjustment but just the basic LSR and LSC is effective enough to get a good tune. It has quite a heavy compression tune however, I am running mine relatively open even at my 225lb (100kg) weight.

Combine the Bomber with a Cane Creek progressive spring and/or the cascade link and I think it would be a great option.

Additional note, these shocks can be quite easily tuned as far as internal shims. There are schematics on Fox's site to run different compression and rebound shimstacks, also Avalanche can turn these into something extremely special but it's a bit more expensive.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=999

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Fox%20DHX/Fox%20Vanrc%20SSD%20Mods.htm

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 1:32 Quote
Brasher wrote:
Fox/marz doesn't recommend their coil shocks on SJ EVO - Information on "Strut-mount" bikes and FOX/Marzocchi coil shocks

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 5:07 Quote
plow2ride wrote:
Hi guys.
Lately I've become obsessed with idea about making 2 different bikes from my 29 EVO Alloy (still in stock):
1. Get a lighter 150mm fork (Pike select+/ultimate). Add a set of lighter tires - exo front/exo+ rear. And use it for my local trail riding. And may be change rear shock for something lighter.
2. Get separate 160 fork or extend travel of stock rhythm to 160mm. Add a smashpot coil. Get a coil shock with 210x52.5/55 making it 140+/150+ (I forgot exact numbers) in the rear. Add some beefier tires. And use it for bike parks and enduro comps.

What do you think about it?

And one more question about a coil shock in the rear. I'm thinking about EXT Storia or Ohlins TTX22 coil + CC link or Ohlins TTX22 coil + Cane Creek progressive spring. which options is the best for this bike?

If you've got the money go for the Storia- Im riding one on my normal SJ with the CC link (EXT will also tune the shock to the CC link) and it works extremely well- its really smooth over roots and rocks- and feels way more than140mm

If you buy one maybe you can get your hands on the spherical bearings also? Then your shock wont for sure blow Up

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Anyone know the seat post max insertion on a S2, or maybe what posts you've been able to slam to the collar?

was this question ever answered or does anyone know?

I have a oneup 150mm on my 2020 S2, wondering if I can get away with a oneup 180mm dropper...overall 60mm longer post, and I have about 65mm sticking out with the 150mm...

photo

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 11:05 Quote
streetfighter848 wrote:
Majortom4 wrote:
It currently has a fox 36 factory 170mm fork on it with a dhx2 on the rear (that I've just found out isn't the correct shock for the bike as eye to eye and stroke are too big)

A couple of questions, is the 170mm fork too long and should I replace the air spring with a 160mm?
Can the eye to eye and stroke be altered on a dhx2? Is it just a case if changing the shaft length to shorten it back to 210x55?

Cheers

I have the exact same frame and built it up with 160mm fork. No issues at all. Recently upgraded to DVO Onyx with 170mm. Man, does this thing rip! I honestly don't see any issues. I always run it in the high setting.

So you'd say 170mm isn't a problem or should I swap out to 160?

Had a word with fox today regarding the shock and have to swap out a few parts but they aren't in stock until mid July no riding for me for a while unless I can find someone to swap shocks with for the correct length.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
Majortom4 wrote:
streetfighter848 wrote:
Majortom4 wrote:

Cheers

Had a word with fox today regarding the shock and have to swap out a few parts but they aren't in stock until mid July no riding for me for a while unless I can find someone to swap shocks with for the correct length.

I've run my 36 at both 160mm and 170mm with this bike and I like 160mm much better. 170mm felt a little too tall and floppy, and seemed like it didn't like to lean over and rail a turn as well.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
safetybreaker wrote:
dirtnapped wrote:
Anyone know the seat post max insertion on a S2, or maybe what posts you've been able to slam to the collar?

was this question ever answered or does anyone know?

I have a oneup 150mm on my 2020 S2, wondering if I can get away with a oneup 180mm dropper...overall 60mm longer post, and I have about 65mm sticking out with the 150mm...

photo

Good looking bike man, how much of a difference has that x2 made?

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 12:11 Quote
Thanks. I just put it the X2 on 3 days ago, and only gotten 1 ride in, but would say it's a world of difference from the DPX2...everything from pedaling to descending is an improvement...I'm still figuring things out and need some time on it adjusting, but loving it so far. Rear seems to be more controlled in the faster rougher stuff.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
safetybreaker wrote:
Majortom4 wrote:
streetfighter848 wrote:

I've run my 36 at both 160mm and 170mm with this bike and I like 160mm much better. 170mm felt a little too tall and floppy, and seemed like it didn't like to lean over and rail a turn as well.

Ok cheers. I'll pick up a 160mm air shaft. Did think 170 may be too much for a frame designed for 140-150.
Just need to sort the shock out

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 20:33 Quote
Majortom4 wrote:
safetybreaker wrote:
Majortom4 wrote:

Ok cheers. I'll pick up a 160mm air shaft. Did think 170 may be too much for a frame designed for 140-150.

Wait, no, you have a 27.5 frame right? I'm running a 170mm Onyx right now and there's not a handling difference between that and a 160mm MRP I used to have. I say go for the 170mm, but run it in high. Especially if you ride some really rough trails.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 21:59 Quote
streetfighter848 wrote:
Majortom4 wrote:
safetybreaker wrote:

Wait, no, you have a 27.5 frame right? I'm running a 170mm Onyx right now and there's not a handling difference between that and a 160mm MRP I used to have. I say go for the 170mm, but run it in high. Especially if you ride some really rough trails.

I will add that I only ran it with a 170mm fork with the rear in low position, and always with a cascade link and a 55mm stroke shock (supposedly 167mm travel - I had the link and had cut out the spacer prior to finishing my build, so I don’t have anything to compare to). I will say I like the 160mm front too much. So your mileage may vary. I say try out ALL the combos of 160/170mm and high/low rear if you already have both airshafts. I’d follow my own advice, but my 160mm has a Luftkappe, and like I said, I like it too much.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 22:19 Quote
safetybreaker wrote:
streetfighter848 wrote:
Majortom4 wrote:

I will add that I only ran it with a 170mm fork with the rear in low position, and always with a cascade link and a 55mm stroke shock (supposedly 167mm travel - I had the link and had cut out the spacer prior to finishing my build, so I don’t have anything to compare to). I will say I like the 160mm front too much. So your mileage may vary. I say try out ALL the combos of 160/170mm and high/low rear if you already have both airshafts. I’d follow my own advice, but my 160mm has a Luftkappe, and like I said, I like it too much.

I have the exact same setup in the rear. Cascade link with a 55mm stroke CCDB Inline air. Running it in low is way too slack, and you will have all kinds of issues with pedal strikes. Even in high I still occasionally hit the pedals.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 5:30 Quote
Majortom4 wrote:
safetybreaker wrote:

I have the exact same setup in the rear. Cascade link with a 55mm stroke CCDB Inline air. Running it in low is way too slack, and you will have all kinds of issues with pedal strikes. Even in high I still occasionally hit the pedals.

Same here - 27.5 w/ 170mm fork, Cascade Link and 210x55 shock (Manitou Mara Pro). Handles great, but I did find it hard to weight the front wheel naturally with my 35mm length stem stacked with 25mm of spacers and 20mm rise bars. I switched out to a 40mm stem with less spacers and 35mm rise bars to get my weight a bit forward, feels great now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018519
Mobile Version of Website