2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
Posted: Jan 31, 2022 at 16:08 Quote
I had my DHX2 serviced - Fox had to replace the shaft because of side loading issues.

Posted: Jan 31, 2022 at 16:27 Quote
jasonwd wrote:
I had my DHX2 serviced - Fox had to replace the shaft because of side loading issues.

Yup, been there. Ended up going to DPX2, no more bottom outs and stanchion snaps.

Posted: Mar 25, 2022 at 23:30 Quote
jasonwd wrote:

What did Fox charge for a rebuild?

Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 16:50 Quote
I'm curious if anybody has any recent experience here with the Fox bulletin that says to not use the DHX2 on Stumpjumper Evo's.
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1138

The DHX2 on my 2020 Evo 29 gave up and its seal went. Needs a rebuild. Brought this bulletin into my local Specialized dealer and they indicated that Specialized or Fox wouldn't really do anything for me unless the actual shock shaft broke. I'd like to not rebuild a shock that's a ticking time bomb, but also feel like it shouldn't be on me to purchase an alternative shock as a replacement.

Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 18:46 Quote
With all these problems I've heard of people reporting with the DHX2 on that bike, it just puzzles me as to why.

Does the frame or linkage contract that shock in some angle that flexes the shaft? Does the coil rub against the frame somehow causing a flex in the shaft? IDK just puzzles me 'cause I can't see it, or it doesn't look obvious to me.

I don't use a DHX2 but I know even on my Stumpy it has about the same asymmetrical shape where the shock fits--I'm wondering if that weird way the shock sits in there causes the problem when it compresses.

Do other coil shocks have this issue on StEVOs like a Cane Creek or a DVO or those?

~JSV

Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 19:54 Quote
it's the yoke driven clevis design that causes shock wear/failure.

Commencal META AM also known for it, just not as bad, same with the X-Wing style Enduro's.

Essentially, a yoke lengthens the shock, allowing more leverage on the shaft. Usually you will just kill seals, but in extreme cases it can bend/snap the shaft.

An air shock uses the body of the shock as a structural member of sorts, and hence less failures.

Basically you can ruin any coil shock on one of these. 2 come to mind that will be more difficult.

New Push shocks
EXT E-storia

both having damper shafts that a thicccc

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 20:03 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
With all these problems I've heard of people reporting with the DHX2 on that bike, it just puzzles me as to why.

Does the frame or linkage contract that shock in some angle that flexes the shaft? Does the coil rub against the frame somehow causing a flex in the shaft? IDK just puzzles me 'cause I can't see it, or it doesn't look obvious to me.

I don't use a DHX2 but I know even on my Stumpy it has about the same asymmetrical shape where the shock fits--I'm wondering if that weird way the shock sits in there causes the problem when it compresses.

Do other coil shocks have this issue on StEVOs like a Cane Creek or a DVO or those?

~JSV

Basically it just boils down to Specialized testing the waters of the Evo in carbon and with a coil. You have to remember that this was the first real season of the Evo and it was only in alloy until the bike community demanded a carbon version so they brought the pro out which was effectively the Sworks Evo for that year and tried a coil on it but in hindsight, the way the linkage works with the coil shock is not perfect for a few reasons. The linkage ratio is too linear and then throwing a linear absorber on it doesn’t help and the issue of the side loading. That’s why all new evos have air shocks.

Yes you are correct in it won’t be obvious as it’s inherent in the linkage design and the way the shock is mounted. I think it’s fair to say most bike designs have a torque that gets applied to the shock under compression and shocks with small shaft diameters don’t fare well. There is no contact of the shock to the frame, that would be a even bigger problem and some have experienced this fitting X2 air shocks to Evos.

To put it simply, even if you have a airshock in there, it will still experience the same side loading issues as it’s by design. It’s just a trade off that Specialized have chosen to deal with by only fitting air shocks with large diameter shafts that can deal with it. You will get some wear still but less noticeable. DVO JadeX and EXT storias are good coil alternatives on evos as the shaft diameter is double the size of a DHX2 so it can handle it. The only thing that you don’t fix is the lack of progression in the rear end. Cascade link or a progressive spring can help. That’s what I run and it’s awesome.

Posted: Mar 27, 2022 at 0:30 Quote
Well thanks a mil' for that, great info. I think I totally get it now. Yeah I have a carbon Stumpy so THAT part of the frame is very similar. I have no need for a coil and knew that from the get-go when choosing a Stumpjumper. I too though immediately put in a CC link, and using a FOX factory DPX2 w/SJ tuning I'm getting the perfect ride w/no issues and perfect progressivity *knock wood*!
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/20508929/

Seriously thanks to you both. I see now, and it makes sense to me. Hey the modern Stumpy is a weird design but totally works for some of us. I even have a 2019 because I want an FSR frame.

~JSV

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 14:32 Quote
No worries happy to help. Nice bike and sounds like you have made some good modifications to it.

I like the Stevo because its a mix between a Enduro and trail bike which is good for the kind of riding I do.

Posted: Mar 29, 2022 at 1:00 Quote
Yeah, I see that with the EVO. That's why I think the 2019 was maybe the last version of these FSR Stumpy's that fall kind-of in that pocket. The newer ones went of course to the flex-stay design and dropped the travel 10mils both front & rear. NOW the Stumpy and EVO are more clearly defined like different bikes, but my models is a tad bit more aggressive which I like, and frankly I decided I liked the downtube better as well which is why I'm glad I didn't end up getting the EVO.

man it's a tough decision though. They're both awesome bikes but my Stumpy feels closer to a do-it-all and I'm just about that little bit of "over-biked" as I wanted to be with it lol

The EVO's totally rock though with that adaptable HT adapter AS WELL as the flipchip. That's an awesome design that more trail bikes I think should have. Ever try switching the HT adapter and trying that out?

~JSV

Posted: Apr 10, 2022 at 11:26 Quote
Hey guys…. Been looking and researching for days! Looking to buy a used 2019 evo comp alloy 29er! However, the one I’m looking at is the s2/m size! I’m 5’10” and am concerned if it’s too small? Any help? Also can you put a +1 headset in these to steepen the head angle a bit more? Or will it not work with specialized adjustable cups?? Thanks!

Posted: Apr 10, 2022 at 13:36 Quote
Cwall1 wrote:
Hey guys…. Been looking and researching for days! Looking to buy a used 2019 evo comp alloy 29er! However, the one I’m looking at is the s2/m size! I’m 5’10” and am concerned if it’s too small? Any help? Also can you put a +1 headset in these to steepen the head angle a bit more? Or will it not work with specialized adjustable cups?? Thanks!

I'm 5'9" riding a S2 27.5. added a 170 post and 30mm bars. Feels just right and nimble and playful, the S3 reach felt a touch too long for me. not sure about the adjustable headset but it feels good with the current angle, I think if I made it anymore slack steering would be a bit too heavy.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2022 at 15:32 Quote
The last three posts reference the adjustable head tube cups. Just for clarification, these were only introduced on 2021 bikes and newer so the bikes this thread is about (2019 SJ Evo) HT adjustment is not a thing (exceptions are aftermarket adjustment)

All good though. Yes the HT adjustment is a very nice thing to have. IF you have a 2019-2020 and you feel the need to adjust the HT angle, you may be able to get an aftermarket kit that will do this for you. Works Connection make one as do some others. I don't know compatibility though.

Posted: Apr 16, 2022 at 15:36 Quote
Has anyone matched their valves to the mint color on the roval stickers?

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
Is anyone riding a 2020 27.5 s3?? 490 reach??? How tall are you and how does that long reach ride on mellow trails??

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010967
Mobile Version of Website