Alloy Frame repair

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Alloy Frame repair
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 17:50 Quote
Hey all. So I have a couple of small cracks running shy alone the bottom of 2 wells up st the headtube on my GT Fury. I have a friend who can weld the frame and also a friend who has giant ovens for alloy wheel refurb. I've scoured the internet about frame repairs and come across so much different answers. So I'll try here now.

The frame is a T6 6069 alloy. Has anyone repaired one of these before? Will it need to be re heat treated after repair?

All answers appreciated

photo
photo

Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 20:01 Quote
Trek warranties that thing forever. Why not go that route? I’d get a new frame before a shoddy weld job

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 20:10 Quote
What year Fury? If it's 2015 or newer, why not just have GT warranty your frame;

https://gtbicycles.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220556547-Warranty-Terms

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 21:49 Quote
Fazeless wrote:
What year Fury? If it's 2015 or newer, why not just have GT warranty your frame;

https://gtbicycles.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/220556547-Warranty-Terms

Its 2017. I've tried warranty and because GT are a bunch of A-holes they knocked me back. Said it looked like it had been ridden hard and had to much wear and tare. So have to fix it myself now

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 21:50 Quote
tbartoncv wrote:
Trek warranties that thing forever. Why not go that route? I’d get a new frame before a shoddy weld job

It's a GT I have. I've tried the warranty route. And failed.

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 at 14:54 Quote
Any welding to an alloy frame weakens the area further by the heat from the welding. The whole frame will need to be re-tempered (heated and cooled to specific temps and times) to achieve something like the original strength. You will need to use an expert repair company who can do this.

Posted: Dec 16, 2018 at 6:46 Quote
That is a warranty repair. I would pursue it fully through GT. Report them to, or contact, the Better Business Bureau.

Ask GT if they'll cover your medical/rehabilitation fees when the frame snaps, or if you should just sue them?

I would NOT be attempting a frame repair.

Posted: Dec 16, 2018 at 6:58 Quote
So GT won't warranty a DH frame that's been ridden too hard? WTF? Did you lend it to Bulldog or something? Sounds like complete BS to me on GT's part. If you've owned from new and have proof of purchase, in your shoes I think I'd be threatening further action.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 19:11 Quote
hey all. long time since my replies. (never on pink bike) end result WAS........cycling sports group basically told me to hit the bricks. Because when the bike was sent down to them the front wheel had been replaced and the back wheel had a few harsh dings. so they said it was probably the result of a hard front impact, i tried to explain that when the crack was first reported that was a month into my summer season in France. they said the bike when pictures were taken looked in a lot better condition as to when they received it. i said the bike had done another 3 months of riding before it was sent to them. due to this they kept mentioning the front wheel being replaced and back wheel. that seemed to be there main focus. so who knows what cowboys they have working there but any rider will know your wheels don't last long. after everything i buffed back the paint and yes it was the alloy that was cracked. so i now have a useless frame gathering dust from a 2k bike that i got 1 season out of. GT you are a load of sh!te and I will never have one again. So if anyone has to deal with Cycling sports group in Poole England id say good luck

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 20:14 Quote
Kahlum wrote:
hey all. long time since my replies. (never on pink bike) end result WAS........cycling sports group basically told me to hit the bricks. Because when the bike was sent down to them the front wheel had been replaced and the back wheel had a few harsh dings. so they said it was probably the result of a hard front impact, i tried to explain that when the crack was first reported that was a month into my summer season in France. they said the bike when pictures were taken looked in a lot better condition as to when they received it. i said the bike had done another 3 months of riding before it was sent to them. due to this they kept mentioning the front wheel being replaced and back wheel. that seemed to be there main focus. so who knows what cowboys they have working there but any rider will know your wheels don't last long. after everything i buffed back the paint and yes it was the alloy that was cracked. so i now have a useless frame gathering dust from a 2k bike that i got 1 season out of. GT you are a load of sh!te and I will never have one again. So if anyone has to deal with Cycling sports group in Poole England id say good luck

still amazed that "hard riding" voids the warranty. that's like taking a jeep in with a broken frame or something like that and they turn you back for overlanding or somthin. cruel.Madder

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 21:37 Quote
HunterBoMTB wrote:
Kahlum wrote:

still amazed that "hard riding" voids the warranty. that's like taking a jeep in with a broken frame or something like that and they turn you back for overlanding or somthin. cruel.Madder

I know. Absolute wild. My friend is on his 2nd frame from yeti. No questions asked. Almost like they can't give them away quick enough. It's mad!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011300
Mobile Version of Website