Fezzari La Sal Peak, anyone have one?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fezzari La Sal Peak, anyone have one?
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 20:31 Quote
I currently have a 2018 Giant Trance. I'm 6'4" and 230 pounds with a 34" inseam. Putting the saddle up where I need it puts me way over the back tire. The front end tends to get really light on uphill switch backs. It's not so bad on the trails I typically ride, but this last weekend I went to another local trail system, Tiger mountain here in Washington. The climb up isn't super steep, but the sustained climbing made it annoyingly noticable. The technical roots and rocks on the way down had me wanting some bigger wheels as well.

I'm really liking the looks of the Fezzari La Sal Peak. The effective sta of 78 degrees is intriguing. The rest of the geometry looks great as well. I can see a bike like this helping with my confidence as I step up to some more gravity oriented trails. Anybody have one or have any insight?

Also on my radar-
Transition sentinel
Devinci Spartan 29
Ibis Ripmo

Posted: Dec 14, 2018 at 13:40 Quote
Shane-C wrote:
I currently have a 2018 Giant Trance. I'm 6'4" and 230 pounds with a 34" inseam. Putting the saddle up where I need it puts me way over the back tire. The front end tends to get really light on uphill switch backs. It's not so bad on the trails I typically ride, but this last weekend I went to another local trail system, Tiger mountain here in Washington. The climb up isn't super steep, but the sustained climbing made it annoyingly noticable. The technical roots and rocks on the way down had me wanting some bigger wheels as well.

I'm really liking the looks of the Fezzari La Sal Peak. The effective sta of 78 degrees is intriguing. The rest of the geometry looks great as well. I can see a bike like this helping with my confidence as I step up to some more gravity oriented trails. Anybody have one or have any insight?

Also on my radar-
Transition sentinel
Devinci Spartan 29
Ibis Ripmo

Avoid Fezzari, they just rebrand off the shelf frames from Vietnam. I’ve also never really known any serious rider who was truly happy with them, and they have QC issues.

Posted: Dec 15, 2018 at 7:16 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Shane-C wrote:

Also on my radar-
Transition sentinel
Devinci Spartan 29
Ibis Ripmo

Avoid Fezzari, they just rebrand off the shelf frames from Vietnam. I’ve also never really known any serious rider who was truly happy with them, and they have QC issues.

Is this possibly an issue from the past? From what I've read recently they designed the La Sal Peak in house, made 3D printed versions of it for testing and then manufactured them in their factory in Taiwan. They even stated that they worked through several different carbon layups and broke frames in testing to come up with what they have now. They have a video on YouTube showing them testing the frames and discussing the design of this bike. They are also advertising that they have a lifetime warranty on the frame that covers any manufactured defects.

Posted: Dec 15, 2018 at 14:46 Quote
I suppose it’s possible. I haven’t looked at Fezzari in a few years for the reasons I mentioned before. I seriously doubt they have a factory in Taiwan BTW.

Put it this way, I live very near to the Fezzari HQ in Utah. Nobody around here rides then despite them being a local company. I’ve only ever seen one in the wild, and it was a fairly recent model of the nebo peak. It lived 3 weeks before the frame cracked and it was returned for a refund

Posted: Dec 15, 2018 at 14:55 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
I suppose it’s possible. I haven’t looked at Fezzari in a few years for the reasons I mentioned before. I seriously doubt they have a factory in Taiwan BTW.

Put it this way, I live very near to the Fezzari HQ in Utah. Nobody around here rides then despite them being a local company. I’ve only ever seen one in the wild, and it was a fairly recent model of the nebo peak. It lived 3 weeks before the frame cracked and it was returned for a refund

I'm in the utah valley too, and a lot of people are getting the La Sal. There's a utah mtn biking facebook page and it seems people are posting pictures of their new la sal every other day. Go to Lindon and try one out.

Posted: Dec 15, 2018 at 17:05 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

Good to know. Thanks for the input and advice.

Posted: Dec 15, 2018 at 20:42 Quote
mtnviewbiker wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

I'm in the utah valley too, and a lot of people are getting the La Sal. There's a utah mtn biking facebook page and it seems people are posting pictures of their new la sal every other day. Go to Lindon and try one out.

No thanks, I’m good

Posted: Dec 16, 2018 at 11:42 Quote
Shane-C wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

Good to know. Thanks for the input and advice.

No problem. Any of the bikes you had on your list would be excellent options.

If you want a direct sales model bike, YT and Canyon both make excellent bikes at a better value/price point than Fezzari. I ride a YT, so can attest to their quality, but Canyon makes great bikes too. Commençal does a great job as well, but they don’t do Carbon if that’s a must have for you.

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 13:49 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Shane-C wrote:

Also on my radar-
Transition sentinel
Devinci Spartan 29
Ibis Ripmo

Nope, that's not true at all. I would consider myself an extremely serious rider, with over 4,000 miles clocked this year. I have owned almost every super bike there is out there in the past 4 years. Yes owned them. I'd put the La Sal Peak up against anything out there today.

Also, yes, they own their own molds and have designed the La Sal Peak from the ground up. This is not a catelog bike. Give it a try sometime... any serious or even pro rider out there would be absolutely stoked. It's amazing.

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 14:30 Quote
mtbenthusiastsofutah wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Shane-C wrote:

Also on my radar-
Transition sentinel
Devinci Spartan 29
Ibis Ripmo

Nope, that's not true at all. I would consider myself an extremely serious rider, with over 4,000 miles clocked this year. I have owned almost every super bike there is out there in the past 4 years. Yes owned them. I'd put the La Sal Peak up against anything out there today.

Also, yes, they own their own molds and have designed the La Sal Peak from the ground up. This is not a catelog bike. Give it a try sometime... any serious or even pro rider out there would be absolutely stoked. It's amazing.

Ironic that you chimed in. I came across your Instagram page a couple hours ago. I was already heavily considering this bike. Especially now after seeing bikemags review. Also, seeing that one of their guys even picked it as his favorite bike from this test shows it's a contender. I really like what they had to say about not having to consciously weight the front wheel like some of the other bikes. Seems like the La Sal and Ripmo got pretty high praise for hitting a sweet spot for geometry in the long travel 29er category. Both seem to be a little more agile than some of the longer wheelbased sleds that are referred to as mini DH bikes. I'm definitely going to give one a try pretty soon. I'm pretty sure it's exactly what I'm looking for,

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 15:17 Quote
I'm 6'5" and I'd think that with only 495mm of reach you'll be very cramped sitting on this bike with a 78° seat tube. I think it will feel like you're on top of the bars.

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 15:35 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
I'm 6'5" and I'd think that with only 495mm of reach you'll be very cramped sitting on this bike with a 78° seat tube. I think it will feel like you're on top of the bars.

At 6’5” that could be an issue with any bike or seat tube?

I will say that when I first rode it the reach felt quite a bit different than any other I’d ridden, most recently coming from the ripmo. You do get the sense the reach is shorter.... until you hammer and go downhill it puts you behind the seat more comfortably.

The steep seat tube is truly the magic of the bike... and why you see some of the best bikes out with steeper seat tubes. I.e SB 130 and 150 with 77.

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 15:36 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:

On the XL the effective top tube is 622mm, an XL sentinel is 650mm for comparison. That's just over an inch. A lot of other bikes in XL run a 650-660mm effective top tube. I can't see it being a detrimental issue. I can see it really helping in long seated tech climbs. Plus I think my lower back will appreciate the more upright position.

Posted: Dec 24, 2018 at 11:51 Quote
Being a perpetual "What is my next bike going to be" shopper, even when I'm 99% satisfied with my current ride, I'm leaning towards the Fezzari La Sal over the Ibis Ripmo for the frame-only affordability ($2,499 with a Fox X2 in a nice olive color), even steeper STA than my Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg and more light/playful trail-friendly nature from what I've read and heard so far.

The only real competition in my head right now is the GG Smash just because they've taken care of me so well as a customer who bought their bike *used on eBay*! I can't imagine how well they'd support me if I bought new from them as the CS has been stupid-good.

I'm a bit of a "carbonaphobe" (thanks for diagnosing me after all these years Travis Engel) if we're being honest, and GG's Smash frame is still just $2,190 ($1,995 with an RS Deluxe RT, but we all know the bike deserves a Super Deluxe minimum) so the $309 price difference to a carbon bike that I trust less, from a less-reputed company is a hard sell for me.

Things that keep me interested in the La Sal as a contender are that dope 78 degree STA, however my Shred Dogg feels very comfortable to climb in compared to any other bike I've ridden in the last few years (2014 Rip 9 RDO, 2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC, Santa Cruz Chameleon). Well, the Ibis Mojo 3 that I demo'd in Fruita 3 years ago was actually the best climber I've ridden if we're being honest, and what a fun bike! That experience alone makes me trust everything the bikemag guys are saying about the Ripmo when comparing it to the La Sal. I want something that inspires pedaling speed like the Ripmo, but isn't scared to handle DH parks like Windrock in Tennessee. My Shred Dogg set up 145mm rear Super Deluxe and 160mm front Push ACS-3 '17 Lyrik has no qualms about going mach-chicken down stupid shit.

Jonathon Weber's selection of this bike over the Ripmo in this year's bible says a lot for the bike on the whole I think, because after feeling the spiritedness of Ibis' pedaling platform it's got to be hard to say that you prefer accepting a tradeoff to something that doesn't carry that same insane energy.

Just spouting off here to get out some thoughts I've been keeping to myself, hopefully somebody finds the relative comparisons useful. One thing is for sure, we're getting spoiled for choices!

Posted: Dec 24, 2018 at 21:08 Quote
mtbenthusiastsofutah wrote:

At 6’5” that could be an issue with any bike or seat tube?

No, I have two bikes with a similar reach but slacker seat tubes (Hightower LT w/73.7 and Pedalhead w/75). I run the seat slammed forward on the HTLT but pretty far back on the Pedalhead. I couldn't ride the Pedalhead if it had a 78 degree STA. The steep seat tubes work on progressive bikes because typically they're longer. I'd probably be fine with a 78 degree STA but I'd need about 520+mm reach. You can't just keep moving the seat forward and expect it to fit ok without compensating with a longer reach.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019796
Mobile Version of Website