trail groomer idea

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
trail groomer idea
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 17:42 Quote
Has anyone tried using a tracked snowblower to pull a groomer? Hell maybe even reverse the auger and prep the snow?

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 18:58 Quote
They use a small trailer tire on a rim, maybe 12 inch, tied to some rope and attached to your bike or Camelbak then dragged along behind you. Works awesome, and cheap! Plus gives you a little extra workout. Leave two of them on your local trail and watch how people just volunteer to pull it around. As far as using an old snowblower, I think you'd be surprised at how much extra work that would be thru tight single track, plus the noise, gas, and imagine grooming twenty plus km of trail with that! And it would suck to run out of gas at the wrong end of the trail! Haha!

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 5:12 Quote
I'd mount a spare gas can to the front. Also probably build a pintle hitch for an actual corduroy groomer to stand on behind the blower.

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 5:25 Quote
Sounds good! Keep us posted on how it turns out! Would also love to see some pictures and hear details on how it works out! Also what type of trails will you be using this machine on? I know of a place near me that uses a Snowdog. At least I think that's what it's called, to groom there trails. Same idea as you have with the stand on rear deck and corduroy groomer.

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 5:35 Quote
Same principle as the snowdog, about 7k cheaper

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 5:40 Quote
7 grand cheaper! Wow! Now that's worth a try! Like I said, keep us posted on how things work out! You could have just raised the price of used snow blowers everywhere! Haha!

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 10:13 Quote
A snowblower is the slowest moving piece of equipment ever invented, You will get more done by snowshoeing. I've been trying different options and by far the best is a snowmobile and drag system but I am not in an urban environment. Other options are snow shoeing and pulling a snow shovel blade with curve up and weights bolted to it.

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 10:27 Quote
Ground speed on a blower can be adjusted. Its not like I want to groom at 20mph. A brisk walk is 4mph, and I imagine it wouldnt be hard to re-gear or change linkage tension like on some models.

Posted: Dec 28, 2018 at 18:07 Quote
schofell84 wrote:
Has anyone tried using a tracked snowblower to pull a groomer? Hell maybe even reverse the auger and prep the snow?

A snowblower isn’t going to work worth a shit at pulling anything. You’d be better off clearing your trail with it.

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2018 at 6:25 Quote
I think schofell86 has given up on this idea That-Alaska-Guy. Or at least I hope so. He also started another thread on MTBR and was given numerous other options and suggestions, but refused to take any of them. I also think I hurt his feelings when I mentioned that he should either shit or get off the pot with this idea. Anyway I'm going back to my awesome trails that get groomed with a 12 inch tire that gets pulled around by volunteers and does an amazing job. With no fuel, no noise and is much cheaper than any used snowblower. Oh and by the way That-Alaska-Guy, I completely agree with what you said. On both forums! Haha! Happy riding and grooming!

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 5:48 Quote
You guys feel bad ass about your shit talking?

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 19:13 Quote
schofell84 wrote:
You guys feel bad ass about your shit talking?

Your responses and refusal to take anyone’s advice makes it very easy to criticize your idea. It’s like you’ve never operated a snowblower before. Like the guys over at MTBR told you, build it already and stop wasting everyone’s time requesting advice you won’t follow anyway.

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 3:04 Quote
Is that what you call "advice"? It wont work. Thats called nay-saying. Then you feel the urge to threadjack about riding in Alaska.

You must be a blast at parties.

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 6:03 Quote
schofell84 wrote:
Is that what you call "advice"? It wont work. Thats called nay-saying. Then you feel the urge to threadjack about riding in Alaska.

I mean that’s what the advice was. I agree that it might work but there are definitely faster and cheaper methods. When you said you could do it at a brisk walking pace, that is still going to take awhile to finish, if your trail isn’t that long you should try that otherwise For my backyard trails I just do a couple laps over it with the snowmobile. But that tire being dragged around sounds interesting and would like to see how
that works.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 6:24 Quote
schofell84 wrote:

No its called common sense

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010214
Mobile Version of Website