Clips VS flats

• Previous Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 20:21 Quote
I've been wanting to try clips for a while now, but have been on flats since I began. What are some benefits if clips and should I try them? Btw where I live it's very Rocky so that's why I'm considering it

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 22:24 Quote
If you have good shoes, flat pedals and technique then clips won't bring a huge amount to the table. However, I run both. If I'm planning on getting airborne a lot, I run flats. If I'm trail riding, I wear clips. The thing I love about clips is not having to reposition my foot. It's rare that I need to and it's mostly when starting off from stand still, putting my foot out on off camber sections or drifting. When using clips they go straight to the perfect position. With flats I have to fine tune my foot position a few times which can be tricky with Five Tens and decent pedals.

Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 4:34 Quote
Facescab wrote:
If you have good shoes, flat pedals and technique then clips won't bring a huge amount to the table. However, I run both. If I'm planning on getting airborne a lot, I run flats. If I'm trail riding, I wear clips. The thing I love about clips is not having to reposition my foot. It's rare that I need to and it's mostly when starting off from stand still, putting my foot out on off camber sections or drifting. When using clips they go straight to the perfect position. With flats I have to fine tune my foot position a few times which can be tricky with Five Tens and decent pedals.

This guy hit it on the head. The biggest benefit I have found is when you are charging through pedally technical stuff. It's nice to not have to worry about losing a pedal and the ability to pull up on a pedal is very helpful if you find yourself hitting a step up or rock while in the deadspot of the pedal stroke.

Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 6:10 Quote
I’m the opposite of you, rode clipped in for years and years before going to flats this year. I won’t be going back to clips.

Back in the day I rode SPD pedals, got pretty used to them, they worked well. More recently I rode CrankBros mallet pedals, and that pretty much ruined it for me. I had so much difficulty getting my foot lined up to clip in, probably because of the cage around the clip mechanism. It was tough to get it lined up, and often times tough to get it to engage. I’d seriously spend 2-3 mins trying to get my right foot in there, and it would spoil my ability to hit certain trail features because I just wasn’t stable. Maybe my shoe-pedal combo wasn’t a good match, but I’m not spending $150-$200 a pop to try different shoes, and I’m not seeing SPD’s these days that appeal to me. So I bailed on the clipless idea.

Now I’m on flats and it’s a world of difference. I’ve got nearly all the benefits of being clipped in, but I can just plant a foot and go, I can also lift a foot when needed without worrying about disengagement or if I’m going to get it clipped in again. I’ve still got the clip less setup, but I don’t see myself using it anymore.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 7:20 Quote
I've ridden both, and prefer clipping in (SPD's). I like the solid planted feel, and not losing footing on rough rocky bouncy stuff. And like others mentioned, your foot is always right where you want it without having to think about it. I also like the ability to pull up to add power on steep technical climbs, and to be able to alternate push/pull on long drawn out gradual climbs. But, in the beginning, I struggled with being able to bail out fast enough when I needed to. I resolved this by using Shimano's SH-56 cleats rather than their SH-51's. The 56's allow more options to release. I also adjust pedal tension to help with panic bails. I use Shimano's M8020 and M530 trail pedals. Both have somewhat of a small platform that adds stability, and can be used for those times you don't want to clip in, or miss doing to when things are hectic.

What I don't like about going with SPD's... the selection of shoes. I'm not sure why the industry feels the need to make SPD's look like plastic Aladdin's slippers. It takes me a while to find a decent shoe I like, but they exist.

Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 8:26 Quote
I am in the same situation. I've heard you get way more control with clips and I'm going to sorta make the change this year. I'm going to ride flats for probably just park and such but for the Enduro/XC I'm going to ride clips. I love riding chunky stuff but tend to lose my footing on it so yeah. Always hated on clips and 29ers (so did most people in mtb) but it is a year of change for me.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 9:02 Quote
As with others have commented in this thread the benefits and non-benefits are real

The non-benefits are:

1) learning to unclip- you will fall numerous times, some slow speed some higher speed. Be aware this will happen no matter what

2) Mud will make it hard to clip in

3) Certain pedals lose clip tension over time

4) Cleats make it hard to Hike a Bike- and the cleats wear out if you walk on gravel/fireroads over

Having said that, it is something that you have to try for yourself, to see if you like that locked in feel or not

FL
Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 12:07 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
I am in the same situation. I've heard you get way more control with clips and I'm going to sorta make the change this year. I'm going to ride flats for probably just park and such but for the Enduro/XC I'm going to ride clips. I love riding chunky stuff but tend to lose my footing on it so yeah. Always hated on clips and 29ers (so did most people in mtb) but it is a year of change for me.

There's not necessarily more control with clips - they just keep you attached on rocky stuff, but I've never found that a problem with decent flats and technique anyway. The main advantage is efficiency - you can pedal more smoothly with clips.

I've been riding mtbs long enough to have used toeclips originally. I then bought original XT SPDs when they first came out and used them until a couple of years ago. Back in those days there was no question of using flat pedals - it just was seen as for beginners only until DH came along properly in the 90s.

I stopped using SPDs when I started riding more technical natural trails and decent sized jumps. SPDs really don't work for me on those sorts of trails. I can't see myself going back to them.

JP

Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 16:31 Quote
Rode flats for years and years, tried Clips for a few months and went back to flats. Most of whats been said above covers it. But, couple extra things... I like to ride fast, charge hard and race enduro through rocky gnarly chunk. I don't find I slip a pedal any more often than I had accidental unclips... actually found accidental unclips through harsh terrain more frequent (and scarier) though truly found both to be very rare.

A bigger thing for me is the ability to bail out on something in an instant... and I mean INSTANTLY. Just can't happen with clips... I've been able to leap out of OTB situations where if I was clipped in I would have been pulling the bike straight over with me. Partly because of that, I feel I have more confidence and less fear hitting rough and crazy stuff or going faster during blind or partially blind enduro racing.

But at the end of the day it truly is "to each their own" and it really comes down to your style of riding, your terrain and the priority you place on each pro and con that's been said above. You'll really only know if you fully go for it and give it 2 or 3 months.

Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 16:31 Quote
I struggled a lot with flats because I always felt like my foot position was off. Never have to worry about that with clips and never have to think about my feet when descending. That being said, I have a hard time clipping in sometimes. If you slide out or lose your momentum on something steep, it can be really hard to clip in fast while descending. I've only been riding clips a few months though.

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 15:12 Quote
Clips are gay af get a pair of Chromag contacts and vans cause that’s the shit

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 15:56 Quote
rkats wrote:

Scarabs FTW.

And as far as your pejorative, grow up.

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 22:29 Quote
rkats wrote:

Vans? Lol. No support whatsoever

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 at 19:29 Quote
Good luck not breaking your foot if you smash a rock head-on

FL
Posted: Dec 10, 2018 at 5:15 Quote
I ride clips and despite my riding buddies telling me to run flats, I enjoy them and will be sticking with them.

I agree with a lot of what has been said here, but equally I like the fact that my foot position is one less thing to think about.

Once im clipped in, im set.

Whilst I am not a gnarly big jumper or at the sharp end of my category whilst racing, I still enjoy red trails, black runs and places such as Finale Ligure and the Alps.... all whilst being locked to my bike.

I can still get my foot out for wild corners if required.

As for falling when moving to clips, it will happen a few times, but probably only on one ride or two. its not a long term thing, as we are lucky enough to learn and adapt!

I say give them a go. if it doesn't work out, you can always sell them on and live happy knowing you at least tried!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010361
Mobile Version of Website