The negative air chamber of the rockshox monarch rct3

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
The negative air chamber of the rockshox monarch rct3
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 8, 2018 at 18:16 Quote
So I have a rockshox monarch rct3 on my enduro elite 2018. I saw a small cap on the bottom side of the piggy back so i got curious what its for. So I unscrewed the cap and all of a sudden a bunch of air released. Than i noticed that was the negative air chamber. I tried pumping it back up to 250psi, but the air won't stay when i unscrew the adaptor out. When i compress the shock it makes a churning sound. I have no idea what to do right now. If anyone knows what to do let me know before i take it to the shop.

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 at 0:06 Quote
Doesn't the negative air equalize from the positive air chamber when you compress the shock?

I may be wrong, and I'm happy to be corrected.

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 at 0:54 Quote
doh. that piggy back cap is to for the dampener fluid to go cool. off before going back round again. nothing to do with the positive air spring or negative air ect. it to stop the damner oil from cavitation. hence why it squelchy sound now.
it requires very high pressure nitrogen and a special tool to sort.
gonna have to send it it to the pros for a rebuild.

negative spring is only tunable on the xv monarchs not the skinny ones as far as I'm aware. and is done by sliding the outer can down after de preasureizing the air spring via the normal shader valve on top of the shock and removing the lower o ring you can see on the bottom outside. it will resist and make a heck of a pop regardless. on the inside will see a ridge /seam bout quarter way up from the bottom. anything below that is the nagative chamber anything above positive. snap the rockshox tuning clips on which ever your after tweeking.

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 at 6:50 Quote
That's the ifp chamber, it should be pressurized at 250psi, get the propper adaptor for it and pump it up to 250psi and then unscrew the adaptor from the shock because you'll loose all the pressure again

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 at 9:41 Quote
i am but right when the red adaptor made by rockshox is unscrewed all of the air just gets released thats my problem
adespotoskyli wrote:
That's the ifp chamber, it should be pressurized at 250psi, get the propper adaptor for it and pump it up to 250psi and then unscrew the adaptor from the shock because you'll loose all the pressure again

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 at 16:01 Quote
Are you sure it's not the pressure in the pump hose? Mine sounds like it but when I screw the adaptor again I get a reading on the gauge, quite lower but thats the amount that goes in to the hose.
The adaptor is designed to unseat from the valve's core first, the air that escapes is the pressure that's been stored in the pump hose

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 12:44 Quote
yes im sure because the shock feels the same as before
adespotoskyli wrote:
Are you sure it's not the pressure in the pump hose? Mine sounds like it but when I screw the adaptor again I get a reading on the gauge, quite lower but thats the amount that goes in to the hose.
The adaptor is designed to unseat from the valve's core first, the air that escapes is the pressure that's been stored in the pump hose

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008394
Mobile Version of Website