Growing up in a time of change...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Growing up in a time of change...
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 12, 2018 at 22:27 Quote
Since I was a kid so much has changed. Mainly im talking about the bike industry. There was a time when 26" was standard in terms of wheels. 29ers were seen as gay to most people and bikes with travel over 160 were a pain to climb on. I still can't believe in the last 10 years 29" wheels have almost become standard and are now rideable, 26" is almost dead and bikes with 180mm of travel are almost comfortable to climb. Carbon fiber is becoming a more affordable option and E- mountain bikes are a thing I mainly bring this up because I am now trying things 5-6 years ago I thought would never really catch on (clipless pedals, 29 inch wheels). I don't personally own a 29er but I've been thinking of trying one in the near future. As of today I now have clipless shoes and a climeable 165mm bike. It's insane how quick this industry has moved and I am very thankful to grow up in this time period. How much more can they do?

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 6:46 Quote
I think one of the greatest advancements over the years are the drivetrain on MTBs. We used to shift gears by moving levers that didn’t click into the next gear. My 1999 RM Element is a 3X9 Shimano XT, but by the 90’s, we had shifters that were designed to stop the derailleur at the right spacing for the gears. That bike is 26” and still very fun to ride, light and fast, but not much travel. My RM Altitude is 1X, the NW chainring combined with clutch derailleur keeps the chain snug for less chain slap and never dropped chains.

Shimano XTR now has 1x12 (10-51) and they designed the hub to make no noise while coasting. You can even get wireless electronic shifting too.

Now if you want to see technology advancements, take a look at motorcycles. ABS, lean angle sensors, traction control, Bluetooth, heated seats/grips, etc. Search: KTM 790 Duke at Pike’s Peak 2018 on YouTube and watch it hit speeds over 120mph climbing the 14k ft mountain.

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 10:35 Quote
It is a dark time of change... E-bikes revealed their ugly head and now threaten races. another big change is the advancements in suspension, bring back elastomers.

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 12:08 Quote
[Quote="thunder-nuggets"]It is a dark time of change... E-bikes revealed their ugly head and now threaten races. another big change is the advancements in suspension, bring back elastomers.[/Quote
Agreed. I don't really want suspension to go much further. I have a feeling that when suspension goes magnetic it will flush out the feel of the trail too much.

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 12:16 Quote
exactly, its not supposed to take out every bump from the trail, you're supposed to feel the dirt under you, not float like a fairy and feel nothing.

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 12:22 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
exactly, its not supposed to take out every bump from the trail, you're supposed to feel the dirt under you, not float like a fairy and feel nothing.

If only they didn't stop making hardtails..... Wink

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 12:35 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

If only they didn't stop making hardtails..... Wink

im saying suspension is too refined

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 17:02 Quote
My lower back and wrist love the advancements in suspension. I like the magic carpet ride feeling on my RM Altitude.

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 17:06 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
My lower back and wrist love the advancements in suspension. I like the magic carpet ride feeling on my RM Altitude.
altitude gang
photo

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 17:23 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
DonLopez wrote:
altitude gang
photo

I'm liking the brake combo

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 17:29 Quote
it's an old photo, I got another mt5 up front now

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 19:26 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
photo
Intense gang

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2018 at 5:35 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
It's insane how quick this industry has moved and I am very thankful to grow up in this time period.

Man, you got me thinking... reminiscing. My first "mountain" bike was a rigid with tires you'd only find on a road bike these days. Not because that's all I had, but because that's all there was! The best off road bikes at that time still had banana seats on 'em. Good times. That was the 70's.

Things have indeed come long way. And like you, I too am grateful for having had the opportunity to experience the mountain bike evolution. Now I know how my grandparents felt... coming from horse and carriage to landing on the moon.

Posted: Dec 14, 2018 at 7:22 Quote
fredcook wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
It's insane how quick this industry has moved and I am very thankful to grow up in this time period.

Man, you got me thinking... reminiscing. My first "mountain" bike was a rigid with tires you'd only find on a road bike these days. Not because that's all I had, but because that's all there was! The best off road bikes at that time still had banana seats on 'em. Good times. That was the 70's.

Things have indeed come long way. And like you, I too am grateful for having had the opportunity to experience the mountain bike evolution. Now I know how my grandparents felt... coming from horse and carriage to landing on the moon.

That was the point of this thread man, good to hear it!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.572441
Mobile Version of Website