Growing up in a time of change...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Growing up in a time of change...
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 21:31 Quote
I would be quite interesting to see statistics on flat pedals in different regions over time. Around Vancouver, everyone serious had toe clips until 1990 when Shimano SPDs came along at the switch over was quite fast, pretty much limited by budgets rather than any other factor. As I noted earlier, you couldn't even get good pin pedals for the longest time, at least until 1997 or so. I'm curious what was happening in BMX racing at that time as there must have been some decent flat pedals somewhere. There were various cage pedals with big teeth in a ring at that time, mid 80's mountain bikes had the Suntour XC pedal and now I just googled "Vintage Suntour XC Pedal" I get references to them being BMX pedals. But clipless had come to BMX of course except for little kids for which they were banned. At any rate, Shimano had inexplicably stopped producing the 80's DX pedal so the situation wasn't good. And then they came roaring back with freeride in the late 90's and then supported by better and better suspension so it hasn't been so critical to stay stuck to your bike has it had been before. But I don't really know to what extent flat pedals penetrated into MTB outside of specific places like the Whistler Bike Park and North Shore. Certainly outside of where it's quite technical, like the BC south coast, there is less of a case for flats.

Having been in mountain biking since the early 80's I think the sport is in a great place, because the bikes are genuinely better but mostly because there are so many great riding areas with proper land tenure and trail maintenance and governance. And there is Trailforks so you can visit these places and have amazing experiences right away.

Posted: Dec 22, 2018 at 18:30 Quote
The-Foiling-Optimist wrote:
Having been in mountain biking since the early 80's I think the sport is in a great place, because the bikes are genuinely better but mostly because there are so many great riding areas with proper land tenure and trail maintenance and governance. And there is Trailforks so you can visit these places and have amazing experiences right away.

This!!! Bike companies are doing everything they can to get more and more people on bikes, and the fact that people are genuinely interested in it and are investing time/energy/whatever into it is awesome. I have a hard time understanding arguments against e-bikes and suspension improvements and such when it means the community is being given opportunity to grow

Posted: Dec 24, 2018 at 20:41 Quote
Am I a dinosaur for still riding 26" bikes ? I mean they still ride great and I assembled them part by part so they are special for me; Was able to fund these builds when I was working in a bikeshop during summers after school. Having graduated, getting a brand new bike every season or two is quite impossible for me. Yet eveytime I go to my local trails the place seems to be flooded with dentist's and neuro-surgeon in mercedez suv's..and shiny new bikes

Posted: Dec 25, 2018 at 6:01 Quote
Forest-Gnome, nothing wrong with 26”, but the new stuff definitely out performs the old. I still regularly ride my 1999 26” bike, and prefer it on roads over my newer 27.5 carbon beast. But, the newer bike is much faster and smoother on the trails. 3x9 is nice on roads, but 1X with clutch derailleur is better over bumps, and new shifters work better than stuff almost 20 years old, hydraulic disc brakes blow away the old cable stuff, but still not sure how much better carbon is over alloy.

Just smile as you pass those guys on their bikes that cost more than a good used car on your 26” bike.

Merry Christmas!

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 at 23:08 Quote
Personally I love my 26 inch. My first full sus mountain bike was a 2007 GT I drive 5 4.0. I rode that thing on some gnarly trails. Easily had over 4000 miles on it. Still my favorite bike but some low life, useless, waste of space scumbag had to steal it. I had some of my best memories on that thing. Visited Park City for the second to last press camp and made some lifelong connections and rode with some rad people. GT needs to bring I drive back!!!

Posted: Dec 27, 2018 at 14:54 Quote
I own a 2013 nukeproof mega am and a 2013 devinci wilson carbon sl. Both were assembled from a naked frame. I wouldn't trade them for the new bling; they are my bikes.. my worries is that someday 26" won't be supported tire and rim wise..

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012782
Mobile Version of Website