School me on the most capable quiver-killer long travel 29ers

PB Forum :: 29ers
School me on the most capable quiver-killer long travel 29ers
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2018 at 8:06 Quote
Looking to buy a long travel 29er for this upcoming Enduro race season. Needs to pedal above-average, descend fast and handle choppy rocky descents. Basically the ultimate quiver-killer. I don't have the money to afford a hard tail or trail bike as well as a long travel 29er so reason for a one bike setup. I've been looking at Scott Ransom, Guerrilla Gravity The Smash, Fezzari La Sal Peak, Ripmo, Sentinel, Yeti 5.5, and Hightower LT. I'd like to spend less then $5000.

What's the most capable bike out there?

EDIT: Live in Colorado. Ride lots of rowdy techy descents. Racing across the Rockies for some EWS qualifiers and other events.

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2018 at 9:10 Quote
jkelm wrote:
Looking to buy a long travel 29er for this upcoming Enduro race season. Needs to pedal above-average, descend fast and handle choppy rocky descents. Basically the ultimate quiver-killer. I don't have the money to afford a hard tail or trail bike as well as a long travel 29er so reason for a one bike setup. I've been looking at Scott Ransom, Guerrilla Gravity The Smash, Fezzari La Sal Peak, Ripmo, Sentinel, Yeti 5.5, and Hightower LT. I'd like to spend less then $5000.

What's the most capable bike out there?

This is my order- Having no idea where you ride, what race series you run and just being on the internet

Ransom= The ability to swap to 100mm travel seems like the win
HT LT
Yeti or Ripmo or Sentinel

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2018 at 9:15 Quote
ehfour wrote:

This is my order- Having no idea where you ride, what race series you run and just being on the internet

Ransom= The ability to swap to 100mm travel seems like the win
HT LT
Yeti or Ripmo or Sentinel

Thanks man, quite a few guys ride Ransoms around here. (Editted first post with where I live/ride)

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2018 at 10:30 Quote
or if you can cough up a few hundred more dollars get a pole

Posted: Dec 19, 2018 at 19:56 Quote
HTLT with a 160 fork

Posted: Dec 20, 2018 at 1:47 Quote
Any reason why the SB150 isn't on your radar?
The MSRP on the base GX is $5199, so it might be less at a LBS (maybe even go for the GX Comp or an XO1 build).

It seems like it's slaying most other similar enduro bikes, in the climbing department, according to the reviews I've seen.
Take a look at MTB YumYum on YouTube. He's got some comprehensive reviews of the newest bikes. He just did a few videos on the SB130 and SB150.
But also has videos of the Ripmo, HTLT, Evil's etc. (no Ransom though... )

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2018 at 7:10 Quote
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
The MSRP on the base GX is $5199, so it might be less at a LBS (maybe even go for the GX Comp or an XO1 build).

It seems like it's slaying most other similar enduro bikes, in the climbing department, according to the reviews I've seen.
Take a look at MTB YumYum on YouTube. He's got some comprehensive reviews of the newest bikes. He just did a few videos on the SB130 and SB150.

You don't get that good of a spec for $5200..compared to other brands/models where over $5000 can get you better bang for your buck

Posted: Dec 20, 2018 at 10:51 Quote
jkelm wrote:
SkipSkovhugger wrote:

You don't get that good of a spec for $5200..compared to other brands/models where over $5000 can get you better bang for your buck

You didn't list, bang for your buck. But specifically afsked for a bike that pedals better than average.

With that said, the Yeti is actually cheaper than the Ransom 910 ($5400), and is very comparable in spec. Going down to the 920 ($3800) nets you an alloy frame, NX drivetrain and out of series Shimano brakes.

But ofcourse, it's worth looking at non-boutique brands, when the top of the line Capra 29 Pro Race. Costs the exact same as the entry level Yeti :-(

Posted: Dec 20, 2018 at 12:41 Quote
Similar boat like you.

Did you consider the Whyte G170 C works 29er?

Posted: Dec 20, 2018 at 14:41 Quote
photo
you can get this beast for $4399 USD? I would say that's a clear winner?

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2018 at 17:42 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
photo
you can get this beast for $4399 USD? I would say that's a clear winner?

Heard this thing is a snail up a hill

O+
bike2850 wrote:
SENTINEL

Yes thats on my radar

O+
Foxy87 wrote:
Similar boat like you.

Did you consider the Whyte G170 C works 29er?
Haven't looked into Whyte!

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2018 at 17:51 Quote
jkelm wrote:
bike2850 wrote:
SENTINEL

Yes thats on my radar
Good it’s the Bomb can’t say enough good things about it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015039
Mobile Version of Website