School me on the most capable quiver-killer long travel 29ers

PB Forum :: 29ers
School me on the most capable quiver-killer long travel 29ers
Posted: May 1, 2019 at 22:20 Quote
austenselk wrote:
I actually owned and rode a Transition Sentinel previously.

Interesting. What didn't you like about it?

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 22:48 Quote
I had issues arise from the stock Fox Float DPX2 shock that no matter what I could not fix, I actually went so far as to replace the DPX2 for Fox’s Float X2 and enjoyed that thoroughly. I rode the large and in the aluminum and my build kit, overall weight was pushing 36 lbs.

Eventually I was selling both the Transition and my Intense Carbine and was hoping to be able to sell the Intense and then keep the Transition, but someone gave me an offer on the Transition so I sold it. Which for me and this time around, I plan on having my Intense sold before then buying a frame.

I love Transition and enjoyed each of their frames that I’ve owned being the Suppressor, Patrol, and the Sentinel.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 23:15 Quote
austenselk wrote:
I had issues arise from the stock Fox Float DPX2 shock that no matter what I could not fix, I actually went so far as to replace the DPX2 for Fox’s Float X2 and enjoyed that thoroughly. I rode the large and in the aluminum and my build kit, overall weight was pushing 36 lbs.

Eventually I was selling both the Transition and my Intense Carbine and was hoping to be able to sell the Intense and then keep the Transition, but someone gave me an offer on the Transition so I sold it. Which for me and this time around, I plan on having my Intense sold before then buying a frame.

I love Transition and enjoyed each of their frames that I’ve owned being the Suppressor, Patrol, and the Sentinel.

If you liked the Sentinel with the X2, why did you part with it? And what do you not love about the Carbine? These things would help us with our recommendations ... for those of us who don't just recommend the one bike we've ridden in the past three years. Wink

You can maybe see how your bike choices are all over the map. You liked a chunky and downhill-oriented Sentinel, yet you're considering a long-travel trail bike in the Ripmo. Or maybe the super stiff Spartan. And eight others. Going to need some help here! Smile

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 6:51 Quote
The Intense is good, but I’m in the mindset that something with a steeper seattube angle is what I need to make the climbs more bearable. I’ve ridden a bunch of different frames over the years because I wanted to experiment and see what is out there. For example, I rode and owned a Yeti SB5.5C but I didn’t like how slack of a seattube angle it had and how when riding and climbing with it, it caused pain in my lower back and after a few months I decided to sell the frame.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2019 at 7:31 Quote
That sort of budget, Ransom 910 without a doubt.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 9:28 Quote
austenselk wrote:
The Intense is good, but I’m in the mindset that something with a steeper seattube angle is what I need to make the climbs more bearable. I’ve ridden a bunch of different frames over the years because I wanted to experiment and see what is out there. For example, I rode and owned a Yeti SB5.5C but I didn’t like how slack of a seattube angle it had and how when riding and climbing with it, it caused pain in my lower back and after a few months I decided to sell the frame.

I hear ya man - I'm the same way. I've owned 5 bikes in the past year as I'm trying to figure out what's perfect for me. I've owned a Rocky Mountain, SC Bronson, YT Jeffsy, and now a SC Hightower LT.

Thus far I think the HTLT is the best riding bike while the jeffsy was the most fun bike. The hightower seems to pedal and descend better but I found myself jumping over every small bump or stick on the trail while riding the Jeffsy. I originally had the new 2019 Jeffsy on order but this Hightower LT has grown on me so much i canceled the order over the weekend and will be putting a bit more work in to this HTLT.

Next year I expect I'm going to buy a used 2019 Jeffsy since the seat tube angle is so steep, and otherwise the geometry looks very similar to the HTLT. I think i've got it dialed in to exactly what I want. I almost sold the HTLT but when I changed my fork from a 160mm 51mm offset to a 150mm 44mm offset it changed the bike entirely for me so I ended up keeping the thing.

Once you get the numbers in to exactly what you want it gets much easier to find the right bike.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
austenselk wrote:

This helps! One of my top priorities, too.

Unfortunately, it's one of the more difficult parameters to evaluate because the effective seat tube angle at your actual saddle height can be very different from the effective seat tube angle listed on the spec sheet, which is usually measured level with the top of the head tube. Looks like you encountered this with your Carbine.

The top choices are mostly from bikes you're unlikely to demo before buying:

Pole
Nicolai
Bird
Guerrilla Gravity
Transition

and, finally, one that's on your list: Fezzari. The La Sal is about as steep as it gets. Seat tubes aren't too long, so you may be able to size up to maintain cockpit length with your hips so far forward.

On the subject of seat tube lengths and sizing up: you've probably noticed that when you move your hips forward and use a short stem, the bike feels really short. This may be contributing to the back pain. A super long reach will help, whether that's from a bike that has unusually long reach for a given size or a bike with short seat tubes that allow you to size up. As an example, the new YT Capra isn't especially long for a given size, but the seat tubes are short: the XXL is only 490 mm, so someone who normally rides a Large may be able to get on the XXL and have a bike that fits like a Nicolai in size Large.

The Ripmo is another perfect example. How would you feel about sizing up to the XL and maybe not going so slack on the head angle?

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
I hear ya man - I'm the same way. I've owned 5 bikes in the past year as I'm trying to figure out what's perfect for me.

[ ... ]

I originally had the new 2019 Jeffsy on order [ ... ]

Next year I expect I'm going to buy a used 2019 Jeffsy [ ... ]

You do know demo days exist, right ... ? lol

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
austenselk wrote:

This helps! One of my top priorities, too.

Unfortunately, it's one of the more difficult parameters to evaluate because the effective seat tube angle at your actual saddle height can be very different from the effective seat tube angle listed on the spec sheet, which is usually measured level with the top of the head tube. Looks like you encountered this with your Carbine.

The top choices are mostly from bikes you're unlikely to demo before buying:

Pole
Nicolai
Bird
Guerrilla Gravity
Transition

and, finally, one that's on your list: Fezzari. The La Sal is about as steep as it gets. Seat tubes aren't too long, so you may be able to size up to maintain cockpit length with your hips so far forward.

On the subject of seat tube lengths and sizing up: you've probably noticed that when you move your hips forward and use a short stem, the bike feels really short. This may be contributing to the back pain. A super long reach will help, whether that's from a bike that has unusually long reach for a given size or a bike with short seat tubes that allow you to size up. As an example, the new YT Capra isn't especially long for a given size, but the seat tubes are short: the XXL is only 490 mm, so someone who normally rides a Large may be able to get on the XXL and have a bike that fits like a Nicolai in size Large.

The Ripmo is another perfect example. How would you feel about sizing up to the XL and maybe not going so slack on the head angle?

I would also like to add the suggestion for the new 2019 YT Jeffsy. That bike is probably the most capable bike out there right now with geometry that may be exactly what you're looking for. A very steep seat angle while also being long and slack in the front. I had the bike on order myself but had to cancel due to some personal stuff. either way, it looks like a great suggestion for you. I had the model which is geometrically very different but still a very very fun bike. Not to mention ridiculously affordable.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
tkrumroy wrote:
I hear ya man - I'm the same way. I've owned 5 bikes in the past year as I'm trying to figure out what's perfect for me.

[ ... ]

I originally had the new 2019 Jeffsy on order [ ... ]

Next year I expect I'm going to buy a used 2019 Jeffsy [ ... ]

You do know demo days exist, right ... ? lol

LOL i know i know - and I have been to as many demos as I could (Ibis, Niner, Kona, and Pivot). But in central NC we don't get all the companies (those are literally the only demos near me) and I do believe that some bikes take a few days of riding to really get used to whereas just an hour or two on a bike may not be exactly the right representation.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 11:25 Quote
YT doesn't sell a frame only, and funny you should mention that as I bought the aluminum Jeffsy 29 for my wife haha. Weirdly enough it arrived on Valentines Day, she was stoked.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 11:27 Quote
austenselk wrote:
YT doesn't sell a frame only, and funny you should mention that as I bought the aluminum Jeffsy 29 for my wife haha. Weirdly enough it arrived on Valentines Day, she was stoked.

Yeah but the Aluminum version is the 2018 geometry so you don't get a chance to see what the 2019 has to offer. And I totally hear ya on the frame only problem - the pro race is still probably slightly more expensive than many of the frame only options you are looking at, and you can sell all the parts you don't want online.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
austenselk wrote:

Yeah but the Aluminum version is the 2018 geometry so you don't get a chance to see what the 2019 has to offer. And I totally hear ya on the frame only problem - the pro race is still probably slightly more expensive than many of the frame only options you are looking at, and you can sell all the parts you don't want online.

Yeah, I had called YT before then ordering but it still works fine for her. I cannot justify the initial cost of a full build and then the undisclosed amount of time afterwards in trying to sell the parts to make up said initial cost.

The Spartan 29 was impressive and with 165mm travel in the rear I was happy with how it climbed, and with 170mm in the front it was a beast through and through. The downside again is the cost, not only the frame but a new rear hub as well as a wheel build.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2019 at 15:47 Quote
Coming from Spartan 27, a 5.5c and before, a Capra (don’t get me started on how terrible yt’s Construction and warranty process is) I’ve found the spartan 29 just nails everything.

Seat angle is great for me and I run a lot of post (180mm dropper with 20-30mm post spare in a size L).

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 16:24 Quote
heinous wrote:
Coming from Spartan 27, a 5.5c and before, a Capra (don’t get me started on how terrible yt’s Construction and warranty process is) I’ve found the spartan 29 just nails everything.

Seat angle is great for me and I run a lot of post (180mm dropper with 20-30mm post spare in a size L).

Damn son you must be hella tall. I liked the large that I had demoed for those few days and I had the 150mm dropper slammed into the frame with the saddle slammed forwards to make the best use of the seattube angle. If I go that route I also think I will stick with a 50mm stem length as anything shorter than that and it would be too small. It felt pretty bang on when climbing and going up.

I’d definitely be using an angleset to drop the headtube angle down to 63 degrees from the stock 65 in the low setting. How do you have yours setup and did you experiment with the high setting?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018333
Mobile Version of Website