Process 153 cr 27.5 vs 29 comparison?

PB Forum :: Kona
Process 153 cr 27.5 vs 29 comparison?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 29, 2018 at 16:25 Quote
Been searching the interewebs and forums em without much luck. Anyone have enough time on both wheel sizes to compare the ride characters of the 153cr?

I know common sense says the smaller wheeled bike is more agile and quicker steering, bigger wheels will plow (esp with same HTA).

Hopefully someone has some real world feedback. Thx!!

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 8:58 Quote
Dr-Courvoisier wrote:
Been searching the interewebs and forums em without much luck. Anyone have enough time on both wheel sizes to compare the ride characters of the 153cr?

I know common sense says the smaller wheeled bike is more agile and quicker steering, bigger wheels will plow (esp with same HTA).

Hopefully someone has some real world feedback. Thx!!

I would love to get this Comparision as well. Love the 29 CR Look -- but I have order the 27.5 CR as I think that the massiv Reach of the M Frame is already giving me Handling challenges. I am coming from a 2016 Process DL S Frame and I am 5,10.

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 12:28 Quote
@airhaenz You were on a small 16' frame @ 5'10?! That's crazy! I'm on a 16' frame size L and I'm only an inch taller.

Posted: Jan 1, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
GruntaNZ wrote:
@airhaenz You were on a small 16' frame @ 5'10?! That's crazy! I'm on a 16' frame size L and I'm only an inch taller.

Just rechecked the imperial metric.. I am 5'9 :-) But I had 3 years amazing fun with it..now I want to give the M Size a real change , finetune handlebar, stem and so on and have lots of time to get used to it - on all short testruns with a 16 M and a 18 M AL I felt the Bikes were far to hard to manual and bunny hop for me.

Posted: Jan 1, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
the 29er is still super playful and quick handling but also plows when you need it too. I would say the little extra weight is totally worth it for the 29er, and I dont think you lose any of the fun aspects of the 27.5 with it.

Posted: Jan 5, 2019 at 19:59 Quote
I will be taking a 29er 153 CR on a demo soon to test against the Ripmo (same LBS) and the RM Instinct (BC). I’m 6ft and 270 and heard lots of good things on Kona for big guys like myself.

Does anyone have experience comparing these back to back?

Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
Rockyrdwarrior wrote:
I will be taking a 29er 153 CR on a demo soon to test against the Ripmo (same LBS) and the RM Instinct (BC). I’m 6ft and 270 and heard lots of good things on Kona for big guys like myself.

Taking a long look at the Ripmo, Process and the RM Altitude. Come back and post your thoughts if you can.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 17:40 Quote
Dr-Courvoisier wrote:
Rockyrdwarrior wrote:

Taking a long look at the Ripmo, Process and the RM Altitude. Come back and post your thoughts if you can.

Definitely...dependent on weather here but soon

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
Dr-Courvoisier wrote:
Rockyrdwarrior wrote:

This weekend I checked out the 153 29er/27.5 and Ripmo.. same shop. First, the Medium 27.5 153 (‘18 model) which is def too small for a guy my size (5’11 260); 30inseam. I am not a big fan of the Rockshox fork/shock combo and even when buying the 153 CR/DL frame the only option comes with a Rockshox shock..

When l moved over to the 29er Large fit pretty well, almost able to stand flat footed over the top tube but just wish that seat would get lower...they suggested the OneUp post to solve this. I think l just read the Kona has about a 3 inch lower stand over than the Ripmo but didn’t feel like that much.

I will most likely rent one for the day soon..27.5 or 29 but most likely 29. I think the cockpit on the Kona was just a bit bigger than the Ripmo.

l built up a Ripmo last night online with XTR Trail brakes, heavy duty Grade 300 I9 wheels, Fox suspension and a GX/X01 build within $150 of the Kona high end build CR/DL 29er so for that l think l may have to go with the Ripmo but going to travel a cpl hours soon to try out a RM Instinct BC before.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
Rockyrdwarrior wrote:
This weekend I checked out the 153 29er/27.5 and Ripmo.. same shop. First, the Medium 27.5 153 (‘18 model) which is def too small for a guy my size (5’11 260); 30inseam. I am not a big fan of the Rockshox fork/shock combo and even when buying the 153 CR/DL frame the only option comes with a Rockshox shock..

When l moved over to the 29er Large fit pretty well, almost able to stand flat footed over the top tube but just wish that seat would get lower...they suggested the OneUp post to solve this. I think l just read the Kona has about a 3 inch lower stand over than the Ripmo but didn’t feel like that much.

I will most likely rent one for the day soon..27.5 or 29 but most likely 29. I think the cockpit on the Kona was just a bit bigger than the Ripmo.

l built up a Ripmo last night online with XTR Trail brakes, heavy duty Grade 300 I9 wheels, Fox suspension and a GX/X01 build within $150 of the Kona high end build CR/DL 29er so for that l think l may have to go with the Ripmo but going to travel a cpl hours soon to try out a RM Instinct BC before.

So out of the 3 you liked had the best ride on the Ripmo? Seems like any knock on that bike is the fork feeling like it's gonna tuck under in corners and a bit skitish on steeps. Hard to imagine by the numbers.

The Kona is definitely a long bike.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 15:31 Quote
I didn’t get to ride the Kona on trails and l have ridden the Ripmo on a test trail at a LBS but no downhill or climbing..l will demo the Ripmo and the Kona in the coming weeks along with the Instinct when l get out to the shop (2-3hrs away).

I have to say if the Kona has a shorter dropper l think it would give me the best cockpit room of any bike l have tried. Again l’m a big guy and need the room and a bike stable “under load”.

I have read the Kona going downhill isn’t as stable as some other big bikes but that may have been the aluminum.

I know Pro Bike Supply and Wrench Science online have great options for custom builds and l may lean toward that if l don’t go with the Kona or Instinct BC.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030061
Mobile Version of Website