Rear shock tunes that match bikes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rear shock tunes that match bikes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 10:45 Quote
I plan on purchasing a new Specialized Stumpjumper Expert, however I would like a piggyback rear shock instead of the stock one. This got me thinking about replacing rear shocks. I know each manufacturer spends time with the shock company they spec to develop a tune for their bike (Spec calls theirs "RX Trail Tune"). I can order the Fox DPX2 that comes on the S-works with the Spec tune, however what about other shocks? What if I want a DVO, Suntour, Ohlins, etc? I am not saying that I necessarily want any of these other shocks, but what if I do? Do aftermarket shocks just come with a very neutral tune that is OK for each bike but is not going to maximize the bike? Is there not that much or a noticeable difference between the manufacturer's shock tune and a neutral shock tune? I have always wondered about this but not actually have a reason to ask the question.

Thanks for any input!

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
If you buy an aftermarket shock, you'd probably have to ask the seller what the stock compression tune is that comes on the shock. Some retailers/sellers will list which bike the specific tune is compatible with or designed for. If you get a shock with a compression tune not designed for your bike's leverage ratio, then you would need to change the shim stack to optimize the compression tune. Contact the shock manufacturer for the optimal shim stack configuration. I did this with my DVO Topaz. I called Ronnie and told him what I thought was wrong. He told me how to modify the existing shim stack to get the results I was looking for and now the topaz is exactly what I want.

As for how the bike might feel, it may be noticeable. The wrong tune may cause you to set up your suspension with non-optimal settings. Too light of a tune may cause you to blow through travel causing you to over pressurize the shock to compensate, which would impact your small bump compliance. If you have too heavy of a tune, you won't get full travel and would under pressurize the shock.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
PapaGordo wrote:
If you buy an aftermarket shock, you'd probably have to ask the seller what the stock compression tune is that comes on the shock. Some retailers/sellers will list which bike the specific tune is compatible with or designed for. If you get a shock with a compression tune not designed for your bike's leverage ratio, then you would need to change the shim stack to optimize the compression tune. Contact the shock manufacturer for the optimal shim stack configuration. I did this with my DVO Topaz. I called Ronnie and told him what I thought was wrong. He told me how to modify the existing shim stack to get the results I was looking for and now the topaz is exactly what I want.

As for how the bike might feel, it may be noticeable. The wrong tune may cause you to set up your suspension with non-optimal settings. Too light of a tune may cause you to blow through travel causing you to over pressurize the shock to compensate, which would impact your small bump compliance. If you have too heavy of a tune, you won't get full travel and would under pressurize the shock.

Spez ( enduro and old stumpy's) work best with A low compression tune and medium rebound tune , don't read too much into the RX trail tune fox have set tunes for low/medium/high and these only get altered slightly with one or two shims ( generally when its an extra large or extra small rider ....weight wise ) they update these tunes every year or so but in the bigger picture they're all very similar

PM me if you have any further questions

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
BaGearA wrote:
PapaGordo wrote:

Spez ( enduro and old stumpy's) work best with A low compression tune and medium rebound tune , don't read too much into the RX trail tune fox have set tunes for low/medium/high and these only get altered slightly with one or two shims ( generally when its an extra large or extra small rider ....weight wise ) they update these tunes every year or so but in the bigger picture they're all very similar

PM me if you have any further questions

regarding old stumpy's , I haven't had A new one open yet

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
Thanks for the info! You basically have confirmed my suspicion.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007531
Mobile Version of Website