Mudhugger - what a piece of sh*t

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Mudhugger - what a piece of sh*t
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 23:34 Quote
I had a muddy ride completely ruined by my mudhugger yesterday. In the end a riding buddy was able to tear it off the bike and i hurled it into the woods, which helped. I feel bad about littering so will go and find it soon, then burn it.

My complaint is that it hugs the mud so well it clogged up the wheel and stopped it from being able to spin at all.

I can see the design working on wet hardpacked trails, but in actual mud it was useless. Maybe mudclogger would be a better name for it.

For reference i was trying to ride a 27.5 magic mary in a pike. The enduro guard I'll put back on worked fine with this setup.

£20 and a very frustrating morning later and I'm back where i started. Lesson learned. Rant over.

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 23:48 Quote
Must be the Shorty Front Mudhugger.

Posted: Dec 30, 2018 at 23:57 Quote
lepak1corner wrote:
Must be the Shorty Front Mudhugger.

Front race i think. Glad I'm not the only one.

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 23:49 Quote
fielonator wrote:
I had a muddy ride completely ruined by my mudhugger yesterday. In the end a riding buddy was able to tear it off the bike and i hurled it into the woods, which helped. I feel bad about littering so will go and find it soon, then burn it.

My complaint is that it hugs the mud so well it clogged up the wheel and stopped it from being able to spin at all.

I can see the design working on wet hardpacked trails, but in actual mud it was useless. Maybe mudclogger would be a better name for it.

For reference i was trying to ride a 27.5 magic mary in a pike. The enduro guard I'll put back on worked fine with this setup.

£20 and a very frustrating morning later and I'm back where i started. Lesson learned. Rant over.
silicone spray on the underside of the guard will stop mud sticking and clogging up.

Posted: Jan 1, 2019 at 0:04 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
fielonator wrote:

silicone spray on the underside of the guard will stop mud sticking and clogging up.

That may work for a bit of mud, like you'd get on a wet summer day. This was winter mud and leaves, silicone wouldn't have done anything.

The mud picked up by the tyre was being squashed into the tread rather than being allowed to flick off with the rotation. The enduro guard that's now been fitted allows for mud to flick off but not towards one's face. The mudhugger kept the mud on the tyre.

Posted: Jan 1, 2019 at 0:07 Quote
fielonator wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
fielonator wrote:

That may work for a bit of mud, like you'd get on a wet summer day. This was winter mud and leaves, silicone wouldn't have done anything.

The mud picked up by the tyre was being squashed into the tread rather than being allowed to flick off with the rotation. The enduro guard that's now been fitted allows for mud to flick off but not towards one's face. The mudhugger kept the mud on the tyre.
yeh,some heavy sticky mud we get this time of year,you can't do much with.gets everywhere.Tyres end up looking like fatbike tyres

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
fielonator wrote:

But that's only a problem because it sits lower than a normal mud guard. I had the problem that it wouldn't fit my Selva forks. Well before bottoming out the fork crown would push it into the tyre. I'm glad I realized it before the first real ride. It's not mudhugger's fault though. I think it has to do with the design of the Selva.

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 3:43 Quote
niconj wrote:
fielonator wrote:

But that's only a problem because it sits lower than a normal mud guard. I had the problem that it wouldn't fit my Selva forks. Well before bottoming out the fork crown would push it into the tyre. I'm glad I realized it before the first real ride. It's not mudhugger's fault though. I think it has to do with the design of the Selva.

I'm going to continue to blame the mudhugger. It was in a commonly used setup, i.e. pike with magic mary, and the design doesn't allow proper mud to be cleared from the tyre. If it was called a spray stopper or tyre hugger i probably wouldn't have bothered in the first place.

FL
Posted: Jan 5, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
Try an RRP guard, I have one and it has been fantastic so far this winter.

Posted: Jan 5, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
fielonator wrote:
niconj wrote:
fielonator wrote:

I'm going to continue to blame the mudhugger. It was in a commonly used setup, i.e. pike with magic mary, and the design doesn't allow proper mud to be cleared from the tyre. If it was called a spray stopper or tyre hugger i probably wouldn't have bothered in the first place.

If a guard is mounted so the gap gets less, then mud will pack in. If you mount it so the gap opens out then you don't get the problem of mud jamming up there. I occasionally ride with some guys who swear by their setups. I just look at their backs and faces, that tells me all I need to know. I use mudhuggers and don't feel the need to sling them in the bushes, I prefer to keep them on the bike(s) and keep the mud off my face and back. Oh yes, MM on front both bikes. Where I ride the mud is, well, muddy.......

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 16:05 Quote
The RRP has a better shape and doesnt clog up so much.

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 23:26 Quote
This looks like a reasonable idea (link below). It's moveable to account for different conditions. Whether that works or not I'll leave to someone else to work out.

The enduro guard is working fine.

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/crud-xl-fender-383098

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 3:18 Quote
It isn't just their mudguards. All their products are rubbish. Their website is pretty though, which I'm sure gets people to think they also spent time on product development.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 5:21 Quote
I've just re-read my original post, it made me laugh. I was very angry when i wrote it, frustrated that I'd wasted money and more importantly a day of riding.

I got hold of the crud xl that i tried to link to and i highly recommend it. It does everything the mudhugger was supposed to do but with a few key improvements. It's longer so gives better coverage. It doesn't fit with cable ties so it can be taken off quickly for cleaning, swapping from bike to bike, or if the bike's being put into a car. It feels lighter, and most importantly allows the wheel to spin when the tyre has mud all over it. It's design means it doesn't fix to the fork bridge so it can be raised up a bit if you're riding in sticky claggy mud, or lowered close to the tyre if it's just very wet.

If you're looking for a proper mudguard for riding in proper mud then you could do much worse. Crud have been in this game for years, this much is clear when you get your hands on their gear.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 15:06 Quote
Please T.H.E. - BRING BACK THE MX Fender!!!!!!!!!!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011388
Mobile Version of Website