Don Valley Toronto MTB

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
dylanfly wrote:
JesseE wrote:
...It's not you, it's the trail.
Thanks, Jesse! I actually had a blast yesterday (Feb 16), but that was the first time I was able to actually ride. It also helped to see that there are very, very few bike tracks out there, so... it's not like everyone's been having fun without me. I just wish there was more of a way of hyping the few days when the condition is just right. The FB Don group has gone mostly silent since Dec. Not much doing on RFG or Trailforks either. So I find myself wondering: do I go down there today? Or will it suck again?

Yeah, heard it was nice down there, but will probably be a tougher go today with the soft cold snow. If it gets packed down itll be great. RFG etc. usually go pretty dark from December to the first warmer days in early spring when people are keen to get back in.

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 at 8:38 Quote
Winter is a shitty time for our precious Don. Early spring is even worse because its like a month of nothing but MUD! I went a few years ago in mid April....never again. I didn't make it 500 meters into the forest before I turned back and called it a day. Plus the mud is a sticky mess of sewage, clay and garbage. See you on the trail beginning of May!

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
Sh00terMcGavin wrote:
Winter is a shitty time for our precious Don. Early spring is even worse because its like a month of nothing but MUD! I went a few years ago in mid April....never again. I didn't make it 500 meters into the forest before I turned back and called it a day. Plus the mud is a sticky mess of sewage, clay and garbage. See you on the trail beginning of May!

Keep an eye on the forecast and you can almost always get a ride in or two in April without drivetrain and trail destruction. But yeah, mid march to mid April is lame in the don.

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
I want some opinions...

I have a low end hardtail that I use for the don and surrounding GTA trails and I recently tried DH at blue and loved it.
Do you guys think sticking with my hardtail for Toronto and buying a used dh bike for blue is the right call?
OR should I buy a slightly more expensive mid travel 29er like the norco sight that I can use in both Toronto and at Blue?

Lemme know what you guys think.

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 11:30 Quote
lukamilo wrote:
I want some opinions...

I have a low end hardtail that I use for the don and surrounding GTA trails and I recently tried DH at blue and loved it.
Do you guys think sticking with my hardtail for Toronto and buying a used dh bike for blue is the right call?
OR should I buy a slightly more expensive mid travel 29er like the norco sight that I can use in both Toronto and at Blue?

Depends on what your looking to do in the don. If your looking to make the fastest strava times, I've seen guys on hardtails absolutely flying through the trails. If you looking to take a bigger jumps and drops, obviously a full sus is better.

If it helps, I ride a 2017 Vitus Sommet 160mm. Its great for the don and i took it Blue a few times last year and had a blast and it survived no problem.

Personally, unless you plan to go to Blue on a regular basis, a full on DH bike, even an older used one, would more than likely be sitting in the garage more often. You'll find it too heavy and not enough gears for the don.

Which Sight were you looking at?

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
Sh00terMcGavin wrote:
lukamilo wrote:
I want some opinions...

Depends on what your looking to do in the don. If your looking to make the fastest strava times, I've seen guys on hardtails absolutely flying through the trails. If you looking to take a bigger jumps and drops, obviously a full sus is better.

If it helps, I ride a 2017 Vitus Sommet 160mm. Its great for the don and i took it Blue a few times last year and had a blast and it survived no problem.

Personally, unless you plan to go to Blue on a regular basis, a full on DH bike, even an older used one, would more than likely be sitting in the garage more often. You'll find it too heavy and not enough gears for the don.

I was actually more looking at the new norco Fluid FS 1 or 2 as I am on a budget...
The geo seems modern and I think 130/120 is good for the don...
Do you think thats enough travel for Blue?

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 at 13:43 Quote
lukamilo wrote:
Sh00terMcGavin wrote:
lukamilo wrote:
I want some opinions...

I was actually more looking at the new norco Fluid FS 1 or 2 as I am on a budget...
The geo seems modern and I think 130/120 is good for the don...
Do you think thats enough travel for Blue?

Most trails at Blue don't really call for for a full on DH bike - not necessarily. You can ride 130/120 at Blue no problem on the majority of runs, just slower than with a DH bike in the rough stuff. Anything else - just rent one.

For the Don, 130/120 makes plenty sense - there really is no need for more in my opinion - and probably not for the vast majority of riding in Ontario in general.

Sticking with a low end hardtail and buying a DH bike sounds like the worst option. Mid travel 29er all the way - great for the Don, and will do fine at Blue.

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 6:46 Quote
I too agree the don doesn't warrant a big bike and that you can get away with a smaller bike at blue. All depends what you ride most. I have a process 111 (111mm of travel out back) and had an amazing time on it at Bromont riding black diamonds, while Ive also had a blast at blue on a hardtail, so don't feel like you need a beast of a bike for that place. I think a bike like the Transition Scout would be a great bike for the don that can also hang at Blue quite well.

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 7:27 Quote
Yea I would agree ^^^^. Theres a ton of people who ride Blue with a good hardtail.

So ditch the entry level hardtail, forget the DH bike, and get a nice full susser. Keep a look out on Chain Reaction they will be having big discounts soon on last years models.

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
BTW, my profile pic is me at Blue with their rental.....

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 7:41 Quote
If you find yourself at blue a lot you might want a lil bit more than 120/130. Depends on your priorities and preferences but IMO the right 140/150mm bike might pedal just as good and be a bit more capable for those lift days.

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 8:28 Quote
JesseE wrote:
I too agree the don doesn't warrant a big bike and that you can get away with a smaller bike at blue. All depends what you ride most. I have a process 111 (111mm of travel out back) and had an amazing time on it at Bromont riding black diamonds, while Ive also had a blast at blue on a hardtail, so don't feel like you need a beast of a bike for that place. I think a bike like the Transition Scout would be a great bike for the don that can also hang at Blue quite well.

Nice!

Agree with Jesse. I have a 111 as well, and it's a blast.

Short travel with more Aggressive geometry is the way to go in Southern Ontario I think, unless you ride DH more than anything else.

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 14:46 Quote
Thanks so much lads!
I think I'll be picking up the 130/120 new norco fluid 29er in the springtime!
Hopefully I see you guys around the trails

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
lukamilo wrote:
Thanks so much lads!
I think I'll be picking up the 130/120 new norco fluid 29er in the springtime!
Hopefully I see you guys around the trails

I'm sure you'll have a blast.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 5:01 Quote
I will be heading to the Don for my first time this Saturday (May 4th) if anybody wants to to get out for a ride

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015436
Mobile Version of Website