Don Valley Toronto MTB

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 18:19 Quote
I just got back from a ride in the East Don and I love the two new beginner/intermediate level skinnies. I really miss riding The Ridge 10+ years ago when it was full of inventive ladders.

Jesse, have you, or do you know anyone that's ridden the steep chute near the intersection of Fruitloop and Boomerang? That thing is wild.

Posted: Sep 1, 2019 at 20:51 Quote
Donaconda was just mapped on Trailforks by Iwoolley43. Thanks!

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
Noremac47 wrote:
I just got back from a ride in the East Don and I love the two new beginner/intermediate level skinnies. I really miss riding The Ridge 10+ years ago when it was full of inventive ladders.

Jesse, have you, or do you know anyone that's ridden the steep chute near the intersection of Fruitloop and Boomerang? That thing is wild.

I ride it all the time, if it's what I think you're talking about. Are you talking about the fall-line descent next to the switchbacks, near the souther (?) end of Fruitloop where there are three wood jumps on the gravel? If that's the spot, did you hook up the run-out up after the descent? I raked/cleared that line last year and it's way funner now!

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 17:15 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Noremac47 wrote:

I ride it all the time, if it's what I think you're talking about. Are you talking about the fall-line descent next to the switchbacks, near the souther (?) end of Fruitloop where there are three wood jumps on the gravel? If that's the spot, did you hook up the run-out up after the descent? I raked/cleared that line last year and it's way funner now!

That descent is a bit above my paygrade. I'm riding a 2004 Specialized Hardrock Sport with v-brakes so maybe next year on a new bike haha. It sounds like you're thinking of the right chute though. It's right beside the switchbacks that connect Boomerang/Fruitloop. Is that the biggest one in the Don?

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 at 6:58 Quote
Noremac47 wrote:
JesseE wrote:
Noremac47 wrote:

That descent is a bit above my paygrade. I'm riding a 2004 Specialized Hardrock Sport with v-brakes so maybe next year on a new bike haha. It sounds like you're thinking of the right chute though. It's right beside the switchbacks that connect Boomerang/Fruitloop. Is that the biggest one in the Don?

Yeah, think we're on the same page. I actually just started riding in last year, in part cause I never rode around there and also cause I was a sissy, haha. It's actually quite easy. I'd probably about the biggest fall-line straight down type descent in there. At least on a semi-major trail.

I highly recommend ditching the vbrakes! Some amazingly capable hardtails out there that won't break the bank. I ride a hardtail down there all the time.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 21:36 Quote
Thanks I'm looking at getting a Kona Honzo or a Specialized Fuse.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
Noremac47 wrote:

Pretty solid options.

Check out RSD as well , which is a local company and the owner hits the don a few times a week. Some Aluminum hardtail options in the works if you're on a budget, but the steel frame rips and is worth the extra bucks.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 11:05 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Noremac47 wrote:

Pretty solid options.

Check out RSD as well , which is a local company and the owner hits the don a few times a week. Some Aluminum hardtail options in the works if you're on a budget, but the steel frame rips and is worth the extra bucks.

Thanks for the suggestion, man. I didn't realize there were any MTB companies that were local to Toronto so I'll definitely check them out.

I just realized that the fall line descent that we were talking about is called Devil's Hill on Trailforks btw.

edit: After spending a few more minutes looking at the map, I don't think it's Devil's Hill.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 11:31 Quote
Noremac47 wrote:
JesseE wrote:
Noremac47 wrote:

Pretty solid options.

Thanks for the suggestion, man. I didn't realize there were any MTB companies that were local to Toronto so I'll definitely check them out.

I just realized that the fall line descent that we were talking about is called Devil's Hill on Trailforks btw.

edit: After spending a few more minutes looking at the map, I don't think it's Devil's Hill.

I know that hill pretty well (rode down today). The one I'm mentioning is right near where Boomerang and Fruitloop connect, but I don't think it's represented here.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
Hey Don Peeps. Party Ride September 28th if you like beer sausages and MTB all at the same time.
3PM at loblaws with a few brew stops and hopefully a flaming jump.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Hey Don Peeps. Party Ride September 28th if you like beer sausages and MTB all at the same time.
3PM at loblaws with a few brew stops and hopefully a flaming jump.

I just marked it in my calendar. Hopefully nothing else creeps into my schedule.

Also, I have a small "don valley mtb" WhatsApp group going with some mtb friends. I was wondering if any other group you know of exists like that? It would be great to get a whole bunch of riders on it to chat and schedule rides together....

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 5:18 Quote
That sounds like an insane level of chatting haha.

I have a group like that but it's more friends than anything and even that overloads my phone.

Have you been on Riding feels good.com?

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
Yes ive been.....really really slow to use.

Also, count me out of the party. I broke my pinky finger yesterday at Blue Mountain. My season is done......

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 12:54 Quote
Sh00terMcGavin wrote:
Yes ive been.....really really slow to use.

Also, count me out of the party. I broke my pinky finger yesterday at Blue Mountain. My season is done......

Can't hold a beer without a pinky??

Jokes aside, I've sprained mine bad and it's such a shit little injury. Least you got into September!

And yeah, RFG.com is kind of un-useable, but it can' be a good resource.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 17:49 Quote
Hey everyone, what section of trail in the Don do you find the most challenging to climb? There's a group of switchbacks on Catalyst that are littered with large tree roots that comes to mind for me.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014209
Mobile Version of Website