Don Valley Toronto MTB

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 18:18 Quote
Noremac47 wrote:
Hey everyone, what section of trail in the Don do you find the most challenging to climb? There's a group of switchbacks on Catalyst that are littered with large tree roots that comes to mind for me.

Those two shit switchbacks on Rimjob (just after Catalyst) are by the far the worst climbing offenders in the don. I wanna put dirt on there and cover those things, but some people like them, strangely..

I've really lost all my patience for really tedious climbs. If I wanna challenge I want it pointing down haha

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 6:05 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Noremac47 wrote:
Hey everyone, what section of trail in the Don do you find the most challenging to climb? There's a group of switchbacks on Catalyst that are littered with large tree roots that comes to mind for me.

Those two shit switchbacks on Rimjob (just after Catalyst) are by the far the worst climbing offenders in the don. I wanna put dirt on there and cover those things, but some people like them, strangely..

I've really lost all my patience for really tedious climbs. If I wanna challenge I want it pointing down haha

You mean the loose chossy concrete corners?!

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 6:16 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
JesseE wrote:
Noremac47 wrote:

I don't mind those turns. I can't hold back these man-quads on rooty-er climbs and I always spin out on slow upwards chop. There's also my lack of skill, which may be a factor.

Does this mean you ride the don without telling me?? haha

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 13:25 Quote
JesseE wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
JesseE wrote:

I don't mind those turns. I can't hold back these man-quads on rooty-er climbs and I always spin out on slow upwards chop. There's also my lack of skill, which may be a factor.

Never! Lol

Actual yes. But, I've only been in 2-3 times on the fly this season. Which is a shame as I used to go in weekly, but workload has been heavy this summer!

I need to plan a ride and let you know when. Actually I have been talking to a customer friend of mine about going in with cameras to get some good photos in the near term. I'm I'll have to let you know when Smile

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
JesseE wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:

Never! Lol

Actual yes. But, I've only been in 2-3 times on the fly this season. Which is a shame as I used to go in weekly, but workload has been heavy this summer!

I need to plan a ride and let you know when. Actually I have been talking to a customer friend of mine about going in with cameras to get some good photos in the near term. I'm I'll have to let you know when Smile

Sounds good, man!

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 9:35 Quote
Don't forget folks, this weekend:

photo

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
I think I'm heading in on Sunday!

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
I will be there Sunday about midnight, but after that not till next week, haha

privateer-wheels wrote:
I think I'm heading in on Sunday!

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 10:39 Quote
Midnight?!
I was thinking noon Razz

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
I'll be at the "Sausage Party" (see above) which will probably go until midnight. No way I'm riding the next day....
privateer-wheels wrote:
Midnight?!
I was thinking noon Razz

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
Lol!!!

Sausage parts sounds interesting. I need to start making more of these Don events.

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 12:40 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
Lol!!!

Sausage parts sounds interesting. I need to start making more of these Don events.
Last year was hilarious.

There was some riding, but it was mainly taking dirt to breweries then a big raging fire and whoop-up at the Rocket.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 14:26 Quote
What tires are people running in the don?

I'm looking at getting a set of Maxxis Rekon tires for my Kona Honzo. I'm trying to find a happy medium for April-October use. I currently have a set of Minion DHF's on my Honzo and don't think they're a great fit for our trails.

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
Noremac47 wrote:
What tires are people running in the don?

I'm looking at getting a set of Maxxis Rekon tires for my Kona Honzo. I'm trying to find a happy medium for April-October use. I currently have a set of Minion DHF's on my Honzo and don't think they're a great fit for our trails.

I used a rekon 2.8 and thought it fairly terrible - flimsy sidewall, barely any tread. Minions are always a solid choice. Aggressor is a nice rear tire too, but I do find they come in a kinda narrow 2.3 or a heavy 2.5 (at least in 29er). The 29er Double Defense Maxxis are super heavy DH tires - don't ever get those, haha. Regardless of width, you shouldn't have any excuses with those tread patterns in the don. Not XC fast, but I say, who gives a crap.

I'm a big fan of hans dampfs. Pretty burly, but not bad rollers at all, especially if you get the firmer compound on the back. I'm currently running a Magic Mary FR and Rock Razor 2.35 29er on my Process111, which roll super well, corner great, are decently light, but have kinda shit rear traction. I was using nobby nic 2.6s 27.5 on my other bike, but basically hate nobby nics. Put some Dampf 2.6s on that bike to day and couldn't be happier. Not the fastest roller, but ok and grippy as heck in the 2.6 size.

That's all I got!

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
Thanks for the info, Jesse. Like you I'm not looking for something XC fast, who gives a crap haha. I might consider experimenting with a 2.4 Maxxis DHR 2 front and 2.3 Maxxis Aggressor rear or something similar.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.075189
Mobile Version of Website