Magura MT 5's or Shimano SLX's ?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Magura MT 5's or Shimano SLX's ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
Im having a mid winter dilemma, I am currently building a Kona Honzo st and I am ready to purchase my brakes.
I am having trouble deciding which setup to go with however. The two options im stuck on are Magura MT5s With HC Rotors 203 up front and 180 out back or Shimano M7000 SLX's and 203 RM66 up front and 180 out back.
I currently run the M675 SLX's on my Transition Covert so I am confident in the abilities of the Shimanos.
Im a heavier guy at close to 300 pounds so I need something with some power behind them espeically to stop those big wheels efficently !

ANy suggestions on which I should go with would be appreciated ! Thanks !

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 11:35 Quote
Neither although check out TRP Slates

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
I don't have any experience with the MT5s but I do have experience with MT7s ,the SLX and the new 2 piston XT's.
I am 6'1 and 230lbs. I ride an bunch of different trails but mainily 3-5 minute long Enduro trails locally.
I had the SLX brakes on my new bike and they worked perfectly, but I had some extra cash to spend and bought some new Magura MT7's.
The MT7's were nice but very hard to bleed. I bought the bleed kit and just couldn't get all the air out of the lines. Took it to 2 different shops and they also had problems but finally got the bled properly ( cost me some cash though ).
On the trail they work great and have great stopping power and feel. But no matter what I tried they squealed all the time, especially when they would heat up. I couldn't stand it anymore and sold them.
Went back to the SLX's and really didn't see any sort of drop off other than bite points and of course no NOISE!

I did recently try out my friends bike that has the new 2019 Xt 2 piston brakes and I could definitely feel the difference from the SLX's. So if I were upgrading I would buy the XT's. But I love my SLX's and really don't have any reason to upgrade right now because they work perfect for me.

So depending on your riding ( Trail, Downhill, Enduro, etc...) the SLX's will work just fine but if you have the money the new XT's are great and for someone your size the dual piston calipers would be a good choice.
good luck.

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 20:18 Quote
Thanks for the honest input. I’m a big boy but I can get her done on most sections other than steep climbs hahaha ! I ride mostly all mountain and trail.
The M675 SLXs I have on my Covert work great at my current weight, I will probably drop 20 -30 pounds or so in the spring and summer months. I think your suggest of looking into the dual piston XTs is a good one I found them for 132$ each. However I can get the M7s for that price and I was only looking to spend around 150-175 on brakes.
I buy thru a wholesaler so they are wholesale price for me but all I can get from them is Magira at the moment,otherwise it’s Jenson or online etc.
I’d really like to stay in the 150-175 range so that’s why the two options originally mentioned are very appealing. It’s a brand new build so I also need rotors,adapters,etc etc.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 23:11 Quote
Another thing about the Maguras is that you need to use their hydro fluid and their rotors,
Quite frankly it is kind of a pain in the ass and cost me way more than i was expecting.
Shimano works great , easy to bleed and have a numerous rotors and pads to use.

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
Ive also found some of the Shimano ZEE 4 pots on Ebay for 230$ or so. Are these decent ? I know there more geared towords Gravity setups but being a big boy and not worried 1 ioda about weight maybe I should run something like that ....

Posted: Jan 5, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
Ok I bought the ZEEs they seem like the best bang for the buck and I already have a bottle of Shimano fluid and a bleeder tool kit.

Done deal, thanks for the input !

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008908
Mobile Version of Website