Anyone have this happen??

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Anyone have this happen??
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
So this is kinda strange and I’m no expert seller but I have sold a few things on here and this has never happened. I’m selling a bike for my friend. It’s a nice stumpjumper. I’m using my PayPal account and my PB account. I have not been getting much interest in the bike but wasn’t to concerned about it until a guy sent me an offer. I checked with my buddy and accepted it. I sent an invoice to his PayPal account and then he did... nothing. Didn’t pay, didn’t respond to and PMs. Radio silence. No big deal right? Didn’t send the bike yet so it’s not a problem. Well shortly after I start recieving txt messages on my phone from various people saying they are interested and that they will send checks (which is obviously a terrible idea). I didn’t even think my phone number was listed! Not only that but my buddy who has no PB account and who’s phone number is not listed anywhere is getting the same txt messages! I don’t know if it’s all related but I really don’t know how they got my buddies phone number. All these people say the got it off Pinkbike but that’s all they will say. Sorry for the long story but has this ever happened to anyone or does anyone know how they got these phone numbers. I double checked and my friends number is not listed anywhere. Thanks

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
I definitely wouldn't do it. If they aren't willing to use something that will cover you (like PayPal goods and services or a USPS money order) then I would just ignore them. Seems like a scam to me... It would be unnerving if neither of you ever listed your numbers online for anything. I know that my number was listed via Facebook and I didn't know it. Perhaps your numbers area also linked to your accounts and since they have your names and locations, found them that way?

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
PJJ205 wrote:
I definitely wouldn't do it. If they aren't willing to use something that will cover you (like PayPal goods and services or a USPS money order) then I would just ignore them. Seems like a scam to me... It would be unnerving if neither of you ever listed your numbers online for anything. I know that my number was listed via Facebook and I didn't know it. Perhaps your numbers area also linked to your accounts and since they have your names and locations, found them that way?
That’s kinda what I was thinking to. Just very weird. They contacted my buddy to so now it’s up to him. They said they would mail him a check and he didn’t have to ship the bike until the check clears. Who does that?! I guess if he cashes the check before he ships it he can call it a win but I think something isn’t right... thanks for the response

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007305
Mobile Version of Website