Is 45 to late to ride and try some bmx racing

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Is 45 to late to ride and try some bmx racing
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
i ride mtb, have an indoor trainer but there is a local track with some weekday night practice and racing, thought it would be fun but i am no spring chicken. I have plenty of protective gear from motocross days, anyone else doing this.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
I don't race, but I definitely ride at 45 and my bikes have grown a bit, but I still consider it BMX (see my pics section posting pics here sucks)

I'd say start working out now, strength, cardio and stretching to the max, the old bod just doesn't like explosive movements like it used to.. An hour of gate training or simple track stands will show you that..
Other than that, have fun, I do for fun races sometimes, some dual slalom downhill, some downhill stuff.. not really competitive but fun..

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 12:08 Quote
At 40ish and when my kids started racing, it looked like so much fun that I also decided to race. We raced for a few years before deciding to get into mtb, mainly because it got pretty spendy. $ to practice, $ to race, $ for membership x3...

Your experience in mtb will give you plenty of skill needed to hang in the novice class. Per USA BMX rules, you can even race any wheel size in that class, albeit with flat pedals only. 26" DJ bikes are extremely fun on BMX tracks but not as fast...

BMX is a family friendly sport. I have never had a bad experience with track operators or other rides. And everyone is extremely helpful.

I'd say go for it. And typically your first race is free w/o a USA BMX membership.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 2:44 Quote
Hi Started my comeback tour at 47 ,use to race in my youth ,but when my son started ,I thought I didn’t want to miss out on all the fun.4years later We are still racing ,still banging bars.We ride mtb on the odd weekends off.
It’s a great family sport.In Australia the over 40 class is super fast but they do a novice class as well.
I’ve raced against a guy who is 73 YES 73 ,he hasn’t stopped racing since the 80s.He is 2seconds faster than me and runs with 35 expert class.So age is just a number.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 20:05 Quote
Age doesn't mean anything so go for it. I'm 50 and have just started Mountain biking. I'm small, light, agile and an adrenaline junkie. I'd love to race BMX but I'm a bit of a salty loser Smile

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
Id say go for it, for 2 years now i ve raced on and off and mostly come last in nationals but still love it, do it because you love not to win medals

Posted: Mar 29, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
You’re too old when you stop trying new things. Do it bro!
I’ll be 50 this August, still BMX, DH, DJ, Moto.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 20:53 Quote
I’m returning at 38, and it was definitely intimidating because I have been away from riding for almost 8 years.

I concur with Aaronz25RS, stretch the heck out before and after!

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 13:51 Quote
I started training this year as i've never raced before although back riding BMX for the last 3 years. Just go for it and be careful at first. Your fitness will improve real quick. Just don't go all out at first and be like me, badly sprained ankle on my second training session lol. Should be back training soon though.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 5:33 Quote
Biked all my life, met a group of guys through kayaking, they took one look at my skill set on a bike and told me I need to bmx.
Started bmx last year and my bike skills have rocketed
I'm 56 this year...
Once you stop, you stop...

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 12:02 Quote
donkeybike wrote:
Biked all my life, met a group of guys through kayaking, they took one look at my skill set on a bike and told me I need to bmx.
Started bmx last year and my bike skills have rocketed
I'm 56 this year...
Once you stop, you stop...

Wink Never stop not stoping! I’ll be 50 in August.....still love it.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
I'm almost 40 and have been riding for decades. Honestly, the key is to ride frequently. Doesn't have to be a long ride every day, but try to get out on your bike and try to improve one trick for 10-15 minutes a day. Feels amazing when. You finally nail anything.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018556
Mobile Version of Website