What Maxxis tire combo is best?

PB Forum :: 29ers
What Maxxis tire combo is best?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 10:19 Quote
It's time to replace the butcher/slaughter combo on my Stumpjumper. East Tennessee winters are not doing too well for my crashing game and I need a tire with a little more grip. So, my question is, what Maxxis tire combo do you recommend for slick roots and leaves but also the occasional Sedona and desert ride? I'm looking at the 29 x 2.4 Minnion DHR II for the back and Ardent up front. Or possibly the DHR II front. Any experiences with that set up?

This is my first time buying new tires and I'm still fairly new to the MTB work. Thanks all!

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 12:38 Quote
You don't want an Ardent up front. In east TN the only place open when the trails turn to actual mud is Windrock. Outside of that scenario that you just need something decent in the wet. A DHF or DHR2 would be good up front. An Aggressor, DHR2 or High Roller 2 would be good in the rear. Which trails do you normally ride?

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 1:27 Quote
I’m chose Forekasters in end but yet to try them for proper conditions.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 13:49 Quote
DHR infront and aggressor on the back is a magic combo

Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
daemon wrote:
DHR infront and aggressor on the back is a magic combo

Yh this looks like a killer combo in dry

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 5:51 Quote
2.5 Maxxis aggressor out back, and 2.5 Maxxis HR2 in front.

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 1:41 Quote
Minion in front. Dhf or dhr. Aggressor out back. Aggressor has the highest grip level for a fast rolling rear I've ever rode. Rolls as good as ardent but much stronger and way way way more grip.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 3:27 Quote
I know you're wanting a Maxxis combo (I'd suggest a Shorty up front and a DHR/HR on the back), but have you thought about the Eliminator on the rear and depending how sloppy the terrain is, a Hillbilly.

Currently running 29x2.6 Eliminators front and rear in the UK and apart from the worst slop I've not been finding I need anything more aggressive.

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 5:28 Quote
I agree with most, DHF front, Aggressor rear.

I had this combo for a year, was really really impressed by it. Not as much grip as my E13 on natural wet trails, but much more predictable on about everything, way waaaayyy better for man made stuff, way less rolling resistance, good traction grip and very few issue regarding flats/reliability (particularly with the DD rear).

I'm gonna swap my current tyres for them again for sure. DHF WT Exo Maxxterra front, Aggressor WT DD Dual rear.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 5:49 Quote
This will end up being an echo of DHF, Minion or High Roller up front and Aggressor in the rear, but I might be able to identify what the difference will be.

The butcher is actually a very good front tire, but the Slaughter is kind of a tire for specific scenarios because of the low profile center. It tends to be fast where grip is good allowing you to roll along nicely...its a fast aggressive tire that gives up a bit of grip when things get a bit faster or more technical where higher levels of grip are required.

Generally, the Aggressor is going to be a slightly (and really very slightly) slower tire because of the larger profile nobs in the center, but its going to provide a lot more grip in a lot more scenarios allowing you to keep your speed, so the speed averages out. Its just going to give you much better control and be more consistent all around. Its a bad ass rear tire!

The DHF may actually be better than the Butcher, but they really are meant to do the same thing so there's not that much different there.

Now it was mentioned about the Ardent, and some may disagree with me, but I have to stand my ground on my experience. I don't like the tire accept in really the most optimal scenarios. There is a massive gap in between the center tread and the edge nobbies where as you're transition the bike over on edge, you actually lose quite a bit of grip, and if that's in a technical situation, it can be nasty...slip on a root/rock and all of the sudden the tire slides out or it slides then bites. To me, its just not a consistent tire. You could run the Aggressor in every scenario against the Ardent and it will outperform the Ardent in every scenario except for weight.

I'd say that most of the Ardents sold today are either by people that use them and aren't really cognizant about what's going on or they're looking for the aesthetic of the skinwall tire for looks on their build.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
dubdryver wrote:
I'd say that most of the Ardents sold today are either by people that use them and aren't really cognizant about what's going on or they're looking for the aesthetic of the skinwall tire for looks on their build.

I will offer a counter to this. While it doesn't factor into this particular application, the Ardents do have a place. In my case, I am running a 29x2.4 Ardent in front to balance out the Ikon 2.3 in rear on my carbon hardtail singlespeed which is ridden not super aggressively and almost exclusively cross country. This decision was made largely on weight and the fact that the Ikons didn't offer nearly enough grip on the front end. This is NOT to say it would be a good choice for the particular question asked or that style of riding in general, but it DOES have a place that is not merely for aesthetics.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
Ardent 2.4 on the front not very confident as they tend to drift a lil.
I was running the DHF 2.5 wt front and the Aggressor 2.35 rear. Great combo.
DHF hooks up no drift. Aggr will drift a lil then hooks.
I just switched to the new Goodyear tires. Like them so far.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 20:17 Quote
DHR2 F/R works really well. I think it would perform well in the conditions you are asking about.

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 21:10 Quote
DHR up front and Aggressor in the rear is a magic combo here in the PNW. Fast and predictable in the dry, tons of grip on our hero dirt, sloppy day compatible and rails corners. Wet roots don't effect em too bad either

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 22:01 Quote
SuperUltraKel wrote:
dubdryver wrote:

I will offer a counter to this. While it doesn't factor into this particular application, the Ardents do have a place. In my case, I am running a 29x2.4 Ardent in front to balance out the Ikon 2.3 in rear on my carbon hardtail singlespeed which is ridden not super aggressively and almost exclusively cross country. This decision was made largely on weight and the fact that the Ikons didn't offer nearly enough grip on the front end. This is NOT to say it would be a good choice for the particular question asked or that style of riding in general, but it DOES have a place that is not merely for aesthetics.

That makes sense. For several years, Maxxis lacked a front tire with intermediate rolling resistance and grip, so the Ardent was the best solution for this role. The lug depth is too shallow on the 2.25" version, but the 2.4" has far greater lug depth; if the side lugs were stiffer, it could've been a great tire; as is, it's not bad on soft ground and for light riders who don't put as much lateral load on the tire.

The Rekon is the best fit for this role now - or the Forekaster for soft conditions. The Aggressor could work if it had a lighter casing, or the Crossmark 2 if it was available in a larger casing with deeper lugs, like the Ardent.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028436
Mobile Version of Website