2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er vs 2019 Stumpjumper Alloy ST 29er

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er vs 2019 Stumpjumper Alloy ST 29er
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 5:57 Quote
I recently purchased a used (but in great condition) 2014 specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 29. Right after I bought that bike I saw another good deal come up for a 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy 29 that has barely been used. My question is which bike is a better buy? Is having a newer alloy bike with modern geometry and other trends but lesser components better than having a 5 year old carbon bike that might have some better components? I paid $1200 for the 2014 bike and the seller wants $900 for the 2019.

What does everyone think? Would it be worthwhile to get the 2019 model and upgrade it over time and sell the 2014 or should I just keep the 2014 bike?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-fsr-comp-carbon-29/p/49812

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-stumpjumper-st-alloy-29/p/154985

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
Personally I would prefer the 2014 carbon bike with better components, but absolutely nothing wrong with an alloy frame. I think my 1999 alloy bike may outlast my 2014 carbon.

I recently got to demo a new Trek Slash 8 and swap back and forth to my 2014 RM Altitude over the same trails. The new geometry made the front end feel lighter on the Trek, I liked the 29x2.4 tires, 1x12 was overkill, and I hated the ergonomics of the SRAM shifter. Maybe I am used to my bike, but my Altitude felt faster and more comfortable to ride.
My Altitude has Fox CTD 160/150 and was smoother over small bumps compared to the Slash, and besides the shifter, I couldn’t tell much difference between my XTR brakes and drivetrain vs SRAM. I will say that mine has been mechanically flawless, and I like to ride bikes, not fix them.

I would keep the 2014 FSR if it were me.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 7:23 Quote
I forgot to mention my Altitude is about 5 lbs less than the Trek Slash 8; that could be why it felt faster and more nimble. Do you know the weight difference between those Stumpjumpers?

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 7:37 Quote
The 2014 is about 28.6 lbs. I'm not sure of the weight of the 2019 but I'm sure it's several lbs heavier. Neither bike has a dropper so that will add a little weight when I buy one.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 8:06 Quote
I’m surprised the 2019 doesn’t have a dropper. My 2014 Altitude does with the cable running internally through the frame, and I wouldn’t want a dropper if I had to run an external cable. The Slash 8 I rode even had the rear brake and derailleur cables routed through the swing arm which I liked.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
$900 US would be a steel for the 2019, and I think it has the capability to route a dropper cable internally. I almost bought a Stumpjumper before I got my Altitude. Since I don’t have big mountains to climb, I don’t need a small chainring and switched my 32t to 36t so I wouldn’t wind out at speed. I don’t think the new Stumpjumper will fit a 36t, not an issue for most guys but was for me.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 6:32 Quote
Having updated geometry is big positive. Upgrade the components as you go. I’d look at upgrading the suspension then brakes. Drivetrain can be updated as it wears out.

Put a 35 or 36mm fork on it and a nice shock and you’ve got one hell of a bike that’ll last you a long time.

The geo on the 14 is okay, but outdated. This coming from someone who rode a 14 sj and went to an enduro bike.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
Thanks for all of the responses! I wasn't able to get the 2019 in time but I still might consider replacing my 2014 Stumpjumper with a newer bike to get the updated geometry. I'm really interested in becoming a more aggressive rider and I think that a modern geometry will be much better for jumps, drops, ect.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
See if you can find a Stumpjumper Pro laying around at a local shop. They were pushing $6500 but I was able to grab one new for $3k. Loaded with Eagle XO1 components and Ohlins suspension front and rear. Just a thought
Cheers

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
Zuki17 wrote:
See if you can find a Stumpjumper Pro laying around at a local shop. They were pushing $6500 but I was able to grab one new for $3k. Loaded with Eagle XO1 components and Ohlins suspension front and rear. Just a thought
Cheers

While that would be a sweet deal, it's still a hefty price increase from what he is looking at.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 12:26 Quote
amedsker wrote:
Thanks for all of the responses! I wasn't able to get the 2019 in time but I still might consider replacing my 2014 Stumpjumper with a newer bike to get the updated geometry. I'm really interested in becoming a more aggressive rider and I think that a modern geometry will be much better for jumps, drops, ect.

You don't need carbon. I'd take updated geo any day over carbon

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
I have a 2017 Comp Carbon 29 with upgraded components that weighs 26lbs 14 oz and I have really enjoyed the bike. I gave my backup bike a 2014 SJ Carbon Evo 29 to my nephew so I went looking. Saw a ridiculous Facebook posting where a Jewelry/Pawn shop was selling all kinds of bikes, all for $1200 exactly. Several 2019 SJ's were part of this along with several Scott Sparks (all carbon Sparks).

I bought a 2019 Alloy ST SJ 29 and had an upgraded wheelset to use on it. It now weighs (I do not use droppers because I have been a mtn biker for many years and just don't ever think of using them) 28 lbs 9 oz. To make a long story short, the Alloy 2019 bike is by far, and I mean by FAR, my favorite bike ever.

The wheelset that came on the 2019 was 2250 grams which is sort of stupid heavy in my view. But I ride only cross country, don't do the big drop stuff, so I don't need heavy duty wheelsets.

The $1200 price may sound like a lie, but it was just that. Tax added about $80. Anyway, after countless years of being weight obsessed in a major way I am no longer hanging on to that model at all. This 2019 thing is one tight thing, it has for whatever reason, and I can't at all figure it out, a different very nice feel.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011059
Mobile Version of Website