27.5 Stache Input

PB Forum :: Trek
27.5 Stache Input
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 18:49 Quote
Let me begin by apologizing if this has been covered before. I rooted around but did not find any threads.

It has come time for our son to upgrade to an adult bike and I have been thinking 27.5+ hard tail for him (with the added benefit of it will also become my wife's bike when he grows through it). I have narrowed down the choices to a used Specialized Fuse/Ruse or a Trek Roscoe, in size small. For reference our son was sized on a Sm Fuse and was just coming into the frame in September so figuring the little sprout will be good to go in May.

A thought popped into my head the other day and I am wondering how outlandish the idea is and who better to ask than you fine folk. I have a Trek Stache and wondered what if we got him a small Stache and put on 27.5+ tires to begin with and then transitioned back to 29+ when the time was right. How much will the smaller wheels lower the bike? How adverse will the head angle become? Am I asking too much of the set up and should I stick with the plan A.

Thank you for your input.

If you have any other thoughts that I did not think to ask or ideas on other true 27.5+ bikes, I would be grateful.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:26 Quote
The measuring tape has him at 4’11” with a 24” inseam.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 9:33 Quote
Trek's minimum height recommendation for a small Stache is 5', so 4'11" shouldn't be an issue. They do recommend at least a 28" inseam, and a 4 inch difference may be a stretch. Thus, I think the 27+ idea, plan B, may just work. In order to potentially save coin, perhaps these smaller wheels could only be acquired if the 29+ ones currently provide too much altitude? Is there any remote chance to test ride a small Stache? (Not sure how it is there, but here Staches are "special order" thus rarely in stock)

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 21:18 Quote
I took a 2016 Stache 5 (rigid) and put 27.5+ wheels on it for my wife. It's a medium frame which fit her, but the standover height was too tall for her. The idea was to have a smooth riding bike that she would enjoy riding on the gravel road we lived on. It did lower the BB about 3/4". Angles didnt change.

It is for sale, but a medium may be too big for your needs.

Posted: Jan 13, 2019 at 20:06 Quote
Thank you both for the input. And thanks for the offer but you are correct, a M would be too tall. Cheers

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 18:54 Quote
One thing to also be mindful of is the BB and crank arms will be lower to the ground on a 27.5+ setup. You may experience more strikes since the bike was designed around 29+.

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 5:10 Quote
trek wrote:
One thing to also be mindful of is the BB and crank arms will be lower to the ground on a 27.5+ setup. You may experience more strikes since the bike was designed around 29+.

If it's for a kid, put some shorter cranks on it!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014746
Mobile Version of Website