I want to give my Bike a new look! And I really need your help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
I want to give my Bike a new look! And I really need your help
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 13:26 Quote
Hey everyone! I would love it if you guys could help me, I’m 15 and I have this old road bike hanging around. I want to remove the paint and polish it. What do I need for polishing? Would a simple drill suffice? Also do I need to clearcoat it? And if I don’t will the Aluminium turn dull?
If it turns out to look really good I might try it on my Canyon Torque from 2011.
Keep in mind I’n 15 and I am currently working on saving up for a brand new bike, But it’ll be more than a year untill I have enough money saved up for that bike. So please keep in mind that my budget is kinda thight.

Do you guys have any tips for me? And maybe give your opinion?

Sorry for my bad English, I’m from The Netherlands and English is not my first language

Thanks alot!

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 14:57 Quote
It depends what lengths you go to. If you want a decent polished finish be prepared for a lot of work. Once you've got all the paint off you'll be surprised how many defects are in the surface of the metal, these need to be removed with coarse wet and dry, probably 120 grit, then smoother gradients all the way to 2500 grit. If you don't flat it down enough you'll see any marks when it's polished. There's a thread for raw and polished frames.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=128209

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
metaam wrote:
It depends what lengths you go to. If you want a decent polished finish be prepared for a lot of work. Once you've got all the paint off you'll be surprised how many defects are in the surface of the metal, these need to be removed with coarse wet and dry, probably 120 grit, then smoother gradients all the way to 2500 grit. If you don't flat it down enough you'll see any marks when it's polished. There's a thread for raw and polished frames.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=128209

Thanks man!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014731
Mobile Version of Website